Thirty Minutes of Fun

Letort

Letort

With a crazy schedule, I have not had time to get to any of my favorite haunts in the past several weeks. With the immediate future prospects not looking bright, I was getting a little antsy.

But there is a small limestone spring creek that is 5 minutes from my house that has at least one deep pool and a couple of decent runs. It is stocked in the spring by a local club and gets absolutely hammered for about 2-3 weeks. I did not fish it this spring, as it is about 10' wide and I just don't like being that close to other fisherman.

When I arrived at the pool, which about 30' long, there was no apparent tracks from recent activity - a good sign. I tied on my favorite wooly bugger searching pattern and made a cast. The water had that chalky, limestone look to it and visibility was 12-18" under the surface, max. Second cast I thought I saw something flash. Hmm, maybe there is something here. Next cast, had a bump and I think I stuck him, darn it! Saw a black tail when he turned, so I thought it might be a smallie that wandered up from some warm water about 1/2 mile below. Next cast, wham - fish on!

I brought a beautiful 14-15", well-colored brown to hand. Wish I had my camera, but just took a mental snapshot before sending him on his way. Didn't see anything else the rest of my time, but that was fun.

Whether its 50 stockies in front of your face within ten square feet. Or that one wild brown in a 30 foot long pool. Fun is FUN. Sounded like a good time.

Back