Taking my son FF for first time?

noclue

noclue

Sunday morning I'm taking my 10 year old son flyfishing for the first time. I bought him a cheap combo set up from Dick's sporting goods and practiced some roll casting in the yard today. You guys have any advice as fathers taking your sons for the first time. I was thinking of not fishing for the first few hours so I can give him my full attention. I will probably need to bring alot of patience with me.

Take him to a place that has sunfish ,be it a pond or a stream

I see your from Lansdale - there's a good pond behind the Towamencian (sp?) Corporate center at SR 63 and Bustard Rd.
You can also access it from Bones Grill. I may be a little late in the season but early spring it fishes good for gills and a few nice LMs. Theres also a pond at Chistopher Docks HS thats accessible to the public. Theres also Scotts run in French Creek State park that was just recently stocked, although you need to cast somewhat far to get to the fish (not always, but you know what I mean). They will also be stocking (so I heard) Deep Creek Lake at Green Lane on the 17th. Theres is plenty of open area there to learn to cast. If it were me, I think the LL hertitage section at the fly shop is a good place for a beginner to cast, then let him cross the bridge and learn the frustation of FFing by trying to catch the fish under the bridge. After that head downstream with his spin gear and make a day of it. Good luck and have fun.

Skiltonian

Go somewhere that you know that YOU can catch a fish. Start out fishing with him, when you catch one it will get his attention. Then focus your time with him. I think that if he gets excited by seeing you catch one, he will be excited to do so himself. At least it worked with my 3 year old daughter. When I caught one she just wanted to do it herself.

I took my kids to the "kids only" section of Clarks Creek, heavily stocked and pretty easy to catch trout.

Be patient. I found that when I first started taking my son his attention span was short, even catching gills. Don't over do it. You have many years ahead of you to enjoy fishing with your son.

Dot

DotMan wrote:
Be patient. I found that when I first started taking my son his attention span was short, even catching gills. Don't over do it. You have many years ahead of you to enjoy fishing with your son.

Dot

Very good advice from Dot, when it looks like he's had enough, call it a day. As for the kids section at Clarks, great place, my kids fished it all the time.

The only thing you'll have to remember is you won't be able to fish witth him. Im not sure about this, don't know if you would be able to be in the water with him. If you want to go to a stream.

PATIENTS and lots of them, thats the key!!

enjoy your time!

PaulG

Back