Striper/ saltwater forum??????

JustFish

JustFish

Since the Deleware is seeing more and more stripers running and spawning as well as the Schuykill I thought maybe people might be interested in a page for this. I know I like to go after stripers with the fly rod and since the Deleware borders PA and the Schuykill is in PA it is PA FlyFishing.

Just a thought. Is anyone interested?

That would be fine. I guess we'll have to wait and see what others think.

As a native DelAwarian I find it interesting that there are stripers in the Delaware.Had to go to Maryland and fish for Rockfish when I lived there.
I would be interested reading about your fishing but got to admit thinking salt water flyfishing is doing it the hard way.

pete41 wrote:
As a native DelAwarian I find it interesting that there are stripers in the Delaware.Had to go to Maryland and fish for Rockfish when I lived there.
I would be interested reading about your fishing but got to admit thinking salt water flyfishing is doing it the hard way.

People have been doing great underneath the turnpike bridge to Jersey. and yes you are right it is harder and throwing plugs and jigs is more productive. I caught my first one in RI and am hooked. Last fall we were catching 35 pounders and throwing them back on wire b/c we had our limit. Fly Rod much more fun!!!!

i would think the warmwater section would cover it.

BTW,the stripers i catch in the schuylkill usually hit a clouser,although sometimes something small and shiny works.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman

I cast my preference vote for starting striper and salt topics under the warm-water forum. Seems to me we have enough forums as it is and the warm-water one has a little room to grow in scope.

Yeah, let's use the warmwater forum. If the striper posts swamp that, then we can look at splitting it out.

Meanwhile, I'm wishing you much luck and success! Post some pictures of those bruisers! That'll spark some interest. :)

Warmwater forum it is! :-D I just figured that this is probably going to get more popular especially with the planned dam removals going on on the Schuykill allowing these spring spawners to travel into areas where they can be sighted and fished to in upcoming years.

JustFish wrote:
Warmwater forum it is! :-D I just figured that this is probably going to get more popular especially with the planned dam removals going on on the Schuykill allowing these spring spawners to travel into areas where they can be sighted and fished to in upcoming years.

Any idea how far up they are gonna clear the dams? It would rock to be able hit hit shad or stripers 20 minutes from home.

Boyer

MattBoyer wrote:

Any idea how far up they are gonna clear the dams? It would rock to be able hit hit shad or stripers 20 minutes from home.

Boyer

Here is a link to an article about this. It pertains to the shad migration in the Schuylkill.
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=85463

They are going to remove two dams so far and try to create effective fish latters for the others. The ultimate goal is to have shad reach Hamburg, PA, near Cabelas by 2020.

They are currently stocking tagged fry near Reading and 95% of the fish reaching fairmount park dam are the stocked fry. Which is great b/c they are trying to go Home to spawn!!!

Boyer,

I live 5 minutes from the Schuylkill and would love nothing more than to take my nine or seven weight down there and whack some striper or shad. I am going to look into what I can do to help this effort!!!

OK, I guess a half hour will do. :lol:

Boyer

Clouser ARE a great fly for stripers. Although they were not "Hogs" my buddy and I caught a mess of them in a small tributary to the Bay, just below the Bohemia River. It was 90% fresh water, and they hammered clousers stripped as fast as we could strip them. Nothing over 15 inches but Man are they fun on a 4/5 wieght! I'd love to hear more on flyfishing for stripers in PA!

WOW-Hamburg-humbug-you ought to take them all the way across the state.
Imagine the stories we will hear when they start taking those six inch holdovers somebodies playing.If they knocked down Conowingo[sp] you would have quite a fishery.

Wow, I could not image catching one on a fly rod. How long would it take to land one? Do you need a boat to catch them?

Never had any interest in the Delaware River and surrounding area till this year.

Afishinado,

That is what I am talkin about!!!!!!!!!! Great pics!!!

I need a boat!!!!!!!

I waded the delaware for years chasin stripers.. i like a 8 or 9 wt. rod with intmediate or sink tip line.. Clousers, deiceivers, my herring patterns , crease flys all work..still tryin to get that 40lber..38 is largest so far..

sandfly wrote:
I waded the delaware for years chasin stripers.. i like a 8 or 9 wt. rod with intmediate or sink tip line.. Clousers, deiceivers, my herring patterns , crease flys all work..still tryin to get that 40lber..38 is largest so far..

What about the gartside gurgler????? 38lber on a fly? I have gotten one that was maybe thirty but on spinning gear from a boat.

Back