Streams with natural trout reproduction?

T

tmk1086

I am very new to fly fishing so I'm still learning the concept of wild trout and wild trout streams. On the PFBC website when you go to the county guide and then click on a county there is a section under "trout" that says "Streams with natural trout reproduction." You click on that and find a PDF that lists tons of streams throughout the state. So does this mean that the streams listed here hold wild trout?

Yes. Fish born in a stream are considered "wild".

The streams on that list may not hold many wild fish though. And almost all streams that are stocked also hold hold some wild fish. These wild fish might be few and far between, and all of an unfishably small size in many (most?) cases. So this enormous list, is not a list of streams for someone looking for wild, untouched, remote streams. That would be the wilderness trout streams list. The Class A list is list of the densest (not neccessarily large individual fish) populations. Large individual fish are generally found in the richest environments; limestone streams and larger bottomland streams.

When you open the file, which as you wrote is quite large don't be missled, the streams are listed by the county where the mouth of the stream is. The answer to your question is yes.

And almost all streams that are stocked also hold hold some wild fish.

It's true that many stocked streams hold wild trout. (Or to put it another way, the PFBC stocks many wild trout streams.)

But to say that almost all stocked streams hold wild trout is stretching it quite a lot. Many stocked streams are completely devoid of wild trout.

In my experience it is worth exploring streams on the reproduction list, even though they aren't on the class A list. Streams with populations below Class A (as measured by the PFBC) can still offer fun fishing.

And keep in mind that the population measurements are far from exact, the populations bounce up and down from year to year, and the populations will vary depending on exactly where the sample was taken, because the habitat can be enormously different, from on place to another on the creek.

I think the best bet is to check the reproduction list, see which of those stretches are in public land, such as state forests and gamelands, and fish there. Lots of the streams on private land have access issues.

troutbert wrote:

It's true that many stocked streams hold wild trout. (Or to put it another way, the PFBC stocks many wild trout streams.)

But to say that almost all stocked streams hold wild trout is stretching it quite a lot. Many stocked streams are completely devoid of wild trout.

I guess it depends on what county you are talking about. But that's off topic for this thread, so I apologize for going off-track.

Dear Padraic,

You will be pleased to know that I caught 2 wild brown trout right up the road from me today. They weren't much bigger than sardines, but they were wild.

One thing to consider, if any of you fish a stocked stream in the Fall that doesn't get a Fall stocking and you catch trout it's a good bet that you are catching streambred fish. Stocked trout have a horrible survival rate and the vast majority of them don't make it through the summer.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

wild trout streams......well ill tell you what i wouldn't waste your time there aren't too many anyways.... :roll:

Padraic wrote:
troutbert wrote:

I guess it depends on what county you are talking about. But that's off topic for this thread, so I apologize for going off-track.

It does depend tremendously on what region of the state you're in. For example, in Clinton or Centre or Blair Counties, the majority of stocked streams do hold some wild trout, and some hold a lot.

But take Washington and Greene and Allegheny Counties for example. In the regs book there are many approved trout streams listed for those counties. But the chances of catching a wild trout in any of those streams is very remote. No need to apologize, I think this kind of thing is relevant for people for looking for wild trout.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I am now understanding a little more about where to locate and fish for wild trout as opposed to just stockies. You have all been extremely helpful, thanks again!

Back