Streams that recover from heavy rain the fastest ???

Powdermill Run, Muddy Creek, Spring Creek, Fishing Creek and Thompson Run, hands down!

Theres pretty many that are very close, but Big Spring and Muncy creek seem to stand a little farther than all the rest at clearing up fastest to me.
Unless you include the rain gutters in Erie. They stand alone.

jdaddy wrote:
Tailwaters. Codorus was low and clear yesterday.

Thats a lie....it was at over 350cfs.....with around 50 being normal.

Maurice wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
Tailwaters. Codorus was low and clear yesterday.

Thats a lie....it was at over 350cfs.....with around 50 being normal.

I don't know the flow but I could see the bottom of stream bed from the road. I think the sign said "south codrus" or something. That make sense?

Edit: and I believe it was Friday around 5:00 pm or so instead of yesterday. My days are running together.

Where were you? road name, small town name?

All the streams around here are above normal. First order streams clear first. But even they are blowing, albiet clear, from the groundwater surplus.

The Codorus (trophy Trout) can be somewhat of an enigma. Its not an all inclusive tailwater like Clarks. It is the West Branch of Codorus impounded and bottom released into the Main Codorus. Often during storms the mian COdorus will make it high and muddy and it runs off fast. True. But when the Lake Marburg is full like now and it gets pounded they tend to release heavy, clear flows.

I suspect you were near GlenRock or New Freedom on the SB codorus. Up there is clears off pretty quick and is a very small stream with a large streambed from excessive runoff. When it is clearing with heavy flows it can look clear and of normal size to the bed width when infact its triple or more its normal flow. Still its fishable and probably better fishing than when its normal.

There's a stream, class A browns, that I just started learning this year. It's extremely well known and posted about, but I won't name it with this little secret, though if you can figure it out, great. It seriously comes down real quick. Last spring, we had 3+ inches of rain on a Saturday, it flooded Saturday evening, was in prime fishing condition Sunday morning, and was a gettin a little low for my tastes by Sunday afternoon. Urbanized stream, storm drains give you the quickest runoff imaginable. It's a curse overall, but you can use it to your advantage now and then.

Your purely forested streams tend to resist coloring up, and when they do color up, they clear very quick. The water doesn't drop that quick, it just clears that quick. So if you look for the little brookie streams in a forested surrounding, you can find high and clear conditions, which can be good fishing.

And of course, your spring creeks also clean up nicely, if you're close to the source.

Tailwaters are artificial. Under most rain conditions, they usually hold back while everything else is up, and then let it all out as the other streams come down. That's typical, the current situation is anything but typical, as some dams lost the ability to control outflow, and some are desperately trying to get their lakes down to avoid damage to the dam.

The worst case scenario is a large drainage area in farmland. Those streams take forever to clear. Penns is a prime example.

In the Southeast Perkiomen Creek and WB Perkiomen Creek were fishible last Monday. that's about as good as it gets. There are many freestone streams that recover fast, because they drop fast and are in forested areas. Some of the better known limestone streams don't recover that fast, like Penns.
My favorites are streams that crest as soon as it stops raining, most of these are small headwater stream, but others would be streams that rise in wetland areas or have a lot of wetlands in the watershed. The wetlands soak up the rainfall and releases it slowly over a long period of time.

Asaph after 5+" of rain...
taken today around 10:30 am..

Attachments

• DSCN9760.JPG
    DSCN9760.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN9761.JPG
    DSCN9761.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 7
Back