Streams similar to Fishing Creek...

M

mikem

Hello,
I was wondering if anybody could suggest some streams (preferably in the western part of the state) which are similar to Big Fishing Creek in Lamar. Thanks!

Mike as you may know, BFC in Lamar is a limestone stream, though its physical features make it more like a typical freestone. There are no similar limestone streams in Western, PA. In fact, there are very few streams in Western, PA that have the hatches as BFC, either. Accept no substitutes. If Yellow Creek in Bedford County or Little Juniata River in Blair/Huntingdon County are closer, they would be the closest match in terms of physical and chemical characteristics and both have decent bug life.

If there is a stream like big fishing creek in the western end of the state, I sure would like to know about.
I think that the yough is the best stream on this side, and it fishes very well on the fall

If there was a stream like BFC around here- the postwoman would think I was dead as she would not be able to stuff all the mail iin the slot.

I'm not too interested in bug life. I'm mainly looking for streams that match it's degree of difficulty. The physical characteristics I'm looking to match are its many braided riffles and such. I would go there all the time but since I live in Ohio it's quite the drive. Thanks.

mikem check your PM

I have fished hundreds of trout streams in Pennsylvania and Fishing Creek in Clinton County is fairly unique, you won't find another stream like anywhere in PA. It starts as a freestone stream, nothing new there; before it gets to Tylersville it goes underground and resurfaces as a limestone stream, nothing new there. Then things get real interesting, it sinks again though not completely behind the lower hatchery, and comes out in a big spring in Lamar, and flows for some distance before sinking again and again all the way to Mackeysville. For a stream of this size to do this and still hold wild trout to the mouth is what makes this stream unique, that along with the plethora of hatches indigenous to the creek make it something special.
Some day I plan on spending a week there and fish the whole thing.

I've always considered it to be 4 different streams. the freestone wild trout section above tylersville - the special regs area in the narrows, right after it becomes a limestone stream. the wild trout limestone area from below Lamar, to Mackeyville, which has a lot different hatches than above. then the final mile or 2 from the mouth of cedar run to it's confluence with Bald Eagle creek, which is stocked, and runs right thru the heart of Mill Hall. Throw in the places where it goes underground also - very unique stream indeed!

I too have also wanted to explore it a lot more than I have - maybe when I finally retire!

One of my favorite sections is upstream of the comp. water in the narrows. It looks identical to this:

uppervaltava.jpg

Back