Streams after heavy rain

C

chadm

How long does it normally take for the water to clear up after heavy rain? is there any good fishing in the dirty water?

Q1: It depends on what is upstream. Freestoners in a forest will clear up quickly. Streams in urban or agricultural areas may take a really long time.

Q2: Yes :) Big browns often come out to hunt when the water is high and off-color. Fish the banks and where there are obvious breaks in current.

If you see a flooded area covering the land and then re-entering the river fish that spot with san juan worms or terrestrials when the season permits.

The use of flashy and/or bulky streamers has worked good for me when the water is stained. I still look where the seams of slow water and fast come together.

Be extremely careful as the current is much stronger after a rain storm.

As previously stated: Fish really close to the bank. I have spooked several large fish in the grass during high water.

Yeah - "the bank" in most streams in my area is a little closer today than it was yesterday. Many people could probably sling their big bulky streamers from their front porch. smh

Should be able to check out Tailing Trout 2 and 3 from there as well. Close to the banks, in the yard..

Perhaps those troots were tailing for earthworms?!?!!? :-D

I've heard it here a few times. About 2 weeks ago I was talking to a person I know who lives in Florida and fishes salt. We were talking about water and bait color. In off color water something darker should be used.
It seems so backwards to me. A white fly would stand out like a beacon in the stained water. But I guess animals adapt to their environment.

I've heard the theory that black absorbs the available light, making it stand out more...it does seem backwards but black has always seemed to work for me in high water.

Silhouette.

Usually in stained water, you should throw really dark, or really flashy/white.

Red is the first color to become invisible.

Back