Stony Creek Open - Year Round section

jgmcclain

jgmcclain

DAUPHIN/LEBANON
Stony Creek -- from .4-mile upstream of Cold Spring Road downstream to State Game Lands #211 gate

Is this new, or has it always been this way?

Also can someone put the regs for open-year round into normal person speek? i have never been able to speak PA fish commission

Does this mean that i can or cant fish it easter weekend?

These waters are open to fishing from March 1 through opening day of trout season; however, no trout may be taken or possessed on these waters during this period.

It's been like that for at least a few years now. I haven't really done well there in March. I think it's a combination of proximity to H-burg and the fact that it's one of the few stocked streams that are open at that time of year. It could also be my March jinx, because I do well there any other time of year, but who knows.

Boyer

Oh, and yes, otherwise it wouldn't be considered "open year-round". You just can't possess them(C&R only).

Boyer

Thanks for the info, Ive fished it in the winter with some good results, just never knew it was open

Hey man, I just checked your profile to see if I might know you, which led me to your myspace page. I see you have Sarah W.(M. technically) on your friends list. I play bass in her husband Steve's band. Any friend of theirs is a friend of mine, so shoot me a PM if you get out on any weekdays.

Boyer

It's been open "year round" for quite a few years. And the DFTU diversion well is "open" Sunday mornings. Check out the info on this incredibly important pro ject at www.DFTU.org

Padraic wrote:
It's been open "year round" for quite a few years. And the DFTU diversion well is "open" Sunday mornings. Check out the info on this incredibly important pro ject at www.DFTU.org

Is it around now that they move it to Monday nights? I work Sunday mornings and up until this year had pool league on a Monday nights, but I might be able to get out and help this summer if that is the case. I know they could use the help, but their schedule and mine haven't meshed well up until now.

Boyer

Ooops! They change over to Mondays on March 24th! I thought it would be in April or I would have noted it above.

Here's a link to the story about how the wells work.
http://www.dftu.org/diversion/Rausch_well.htm
Of course, the short story is, very well. We've been running the wells since 1989. It's gone from a heavily AMD impacted stream to one that has (some) hatches and some wild trout. It actually has more dace and crayfish (IMHO) than Clarks.

Padraic,

Thanks for the info, as a kid (dating my self) I remember thinking how good the stream could be if the run off problems could be addressed. Then we heard about limestone and that was supposed to do "something" to address the problem. Again this was back when I fished the stony, and the river... cause well they were the only streams I could get to on my bike. Now as a older... man, I have traveled some for work and fishing and have found that IMHO some of the best fishing ive ever done is with in driving distance of my home. Just to confirm work night are Monday nights, being that this is still the stream that I find my self thinking of as my home stream I would love to assist any way I can.

Matt,

Small world, well I guess the website is PA based, so not that small. I would love to hit the water with you some time. I'll message you with my email so we can work the details out sometime.

Thank you both, happy fishing
Jason

Back