Stone Fly Nymphs

Sparse_Grey_Hack

Sparse_Grey_Hack

Does anybody use these in the western/central portions of PA?

When I fished back in the 70s, a woven-body stone fly nymph was the go-to pattern for Penns Creek and other streams where I'd find the husks on streambed rocks. I was rarely disappointed by these flies. Since I've returned to fly fishing, I've heard very little about them.

I use them all the time in the central part of the state. However, there is only one pattern I use. Most here on this board would be against tying it becuase it takes too long, but I tie it because I find it challenging.

I have considered wired body stones for brookie streams because of there weight and durabiltiy.

SGH,
I have been a fan of stone fly nymphs for many years and they're still a go-to fly for me, esp on high gradient freestone streams. I live in the southcentral part of the state and I do find that stoneflies (except for the little black version) are comparatively rare down here. Most streams have 'em, including some of the giant ptyaranarcis (sic?) version but it takes a lot of rock rolling to find one. Every rock on Penns seems to have a big stone fly nymph and out West they're even more prevalent. Nevertheless, I think stone fly nymphs work well on trout pretty much everywhere as the flies tied to imitate them duplicate the shape and profile of a lot of other nymphs like mayflies, dragonflies, hellgramites, etc.

Use a weighted stone as your anchor fly in the faster water spring, summer, winter and fall. At worst, it will sink your other fly to the bottom past the nose of an unsuspecting trout, and good things usually happen when that occurs.

My most successful and easy to tie pattern uses wire for the abdomen, fuzzy dubbing for the thorax, with rubber legs, all tied over a lead wire weighted hook shank.

Those of you that don't fish or like to use weighted flies, think of it this way, which would catch more fish, a size BB splitshot, or a weighted wire stonefly nymph?

afishinado wrote:
Use a weighted stone as your anchor fly in the faster water spring, summer, winter and fall. At worst, it will sink your other fly to the bottom past the nose of an unsuspecting trout, and good things usually happen when that occurs.

There ya go. I just got another great idea from the paflyfish forum. I will definitely be doing this instead of shot.

I use them during the early stages of the Early Black Stone Fly hatch during the winter. Then in the Srping I use the Golden Stone Fly Nymph during the early stages of that hatch.

I use them often here in Western PA in the early spring/late winter when the Early Brown or Black Nymphs are in the water. A lot of that is dictated by which stream I fish and whether or not they are in an abundant supply.

Onto the weighted fly debate, I personally like them but it's dependant on which pattern. If I can fish without a split shot and only the fly, I consider that as an advantage for me. There are times though when extra weight is needed and I'll use a split shot, but again I'm at an advantage because I can use a smaller shot or less weight.

Stream conditions-such as low water and little flow-weighted nymphs can put you at a disadvantage. I don't weight my egg patterns as I'd prefer to weight them as needed and above, but nymphs, and most streamers I'll put a weight on.

They do well at Penn's but for me personally I have not had success with them. My fishing buds get hook ups on them and they are usually bigger fish too.

Guess I am a beleiver in having confidence it what your using. (not much confidence yet- but I will try again).

Seen reports on fisherie.com that stoneflies work well there but I have not tried this there yet.

Stone fly nymphs stay active during the winter. I will dredge the bottom of deep pools with stone flies during the cold months with success. I also use large stone flies in the higher spring run-off, esp. on streams that have giant stone flies like Slippery Rock. Since they are heavily weighted (at least that is how I tie them) it might be just that they get deep rather than being the prefered food source...but in either case, they have worked for me.

I use stoneflies A LOT on Penns, not so much on the other limestoners. I did have a decent day once on the LJR with stones.

I use them a lot on freestoners throughout the state.

As far as weighted nymphs, I'm a big fan. I use them extensively and in my box, you'll find most of my nymph patterns tied in various weights. As for weighted stones, I do not use them. The reason is that I don't have a stonefly pattern I can tie well, thus I buy virtually all of them. I will use a stonefly as the unweighted nymph together with a weighted nymph of some sort.

I use a woven body stone fly nymph a lot up here in NC Pa, with a ton of success. Also, I throw wire body ones from time to time because they take less time to tie, weigh more and seem to work as well at times. I will say I have more success with woven body ones, but I use them much more. From early in the season until June that is one of my go to flies. Have also had some success on three of the big four limestoners in Central Pa with them.

I only really use them on small mountain streams and for steelhead at the salmon river. There are little black stoneflies and yellow and lime sallies, but I don't know how important their nymphs are. On many of the streams I fish, the yellow and lime sallies get ignored as adults.

I've got a few monsters in my fly box, and would love to try them. Maybe next year's jam...

I used to only fish weighted nymphs, but for no real reason, I stopped. I just like the versatility of shot, and tend to avoid tandem rigs because of tangles. I only really use them when I am in search mode.

#6 Gold Woven stones are great patterns, but they're a tiers patterns as they take a bit of elbow grease to get done. I *LOVE* the things on Yellow Creek during the daylight when you're waiting for the sulphurs and drakes to show.

I use both wieghted and unwieghted nymphs. I usually have a wieghted nymph followed buy a unwieghted one on my leader . I only use shot when I have to, but I prefer tungestun putty. Shot always kinks my leader up and slides out of place all the time . :-D

I'd be interested to see some of these stonelfy patterns. Any chance of posting some pics in the fly tying section?

tj,
these are some of the larger, weighted ones I tie. They are primarily on tiemco 200R 4s and 6s...so they are fairly large, but they also have the curvature in the body.

David,

Nice! I tie them similarly. Also, along with the dubbed and ribbed version, I also use fairly heavy plastic coated wire for the abdomen. It’s a simple tie with the wire, and the added weight helps. I use different colors and diameters depending on the size and color of the fly. Also, I use a marker to touch up the color of the wire, usually darker on top. I found the wire at a craft store, Michaels I think, in the section for stringing beads. They sell the wire in spools, and as I said in different diameters and colors. I’ve even tied a few articulated / jointed versions. They work well, but are very time consuming to tie.

I like rubber legs for larger flies and tie lead wire to the shank. A weighted stonefly nymph is a great “anchor” fly to get you deep, especially in fast water where stoneflies inhabit. It represents a large morsel for the trout to feed on, and since many species take up to several years to reach maturity, they are always present in a stream that has stoneflies, and their size varies with their age. Good luck with those flies.

Those are some great looking Stones David! Very nice work!

Back