Stillwater Flyfishing for Trout

albatross

albatross

Before today I had never used my flyrod to fish for trout except in moving water. TomGamber's exploits and the little I've learned about this being done inspired me to give it a try today (many lakes got a fall stocking of trout the end of October). I had a nice time and caught some trout. Mostly I just tossed buggers out, let then sink a while, and stripped them back with a slow retrieve. I caught fish on black, chartreuse, and pink buggers and missed one on an olive bugger.

How many of you flyfish stillwater for trout? Any other tactics successful in PA lakes?

Sorry, albatross.............. I live in Oregon, so can't help you on your Penn lakes question.

However, something tells me that; "trout swim about the same, no matter where you find to fish for them", (except, of course, different foods for them may enter into the equation), and I DO, do, a lot of lake fishing for trout. (to answer the first question you asked).

And, actually, what you did today, is one of the oldest and probably most "tried and true" methods for lake fishing for trout!

I use a lot of different flies, when lake fishing for trout. I use my "Toon boat" a lot, too, so I'll also "troll a fly" on occasion to try and locate where the fish might be holding and at what depth.

"Wooley Buggers" and various "leech patterns", are two that always seem to be pretty productive for me. But, don't discount fishing dries on lake waters, either!! Sitting low, in a belly boat, or, slightly higher, in a Toon boat and having a bunch of trout start rising when you're so close to to the water's surface, is pretty exciting fishing when it call comes together!!

I don't know what you're lake hatches are like, or, the insects that come off when one takes place. But, out here, an awful lot of our "stream and river insects" also inhabit our lakes too so the fly selection is nothing too technical, between to two water types.

I, think, that probably the most frustrating situation in lake fishing, is simply; "Finding out, where the little buggers are hanging out"!!

Unlike, most rivers and streams, lakes have "thermal layers"....... sort of like "building a sandwich", to use a really poor comparison! But, that's about what these "thermal layers" would look like, if you could cut a cross section out of any lake!! And, the trout, depending on type, age, ambient air temps, etc. usually will "hold" in one, possibly at times, two, of these "thermal layers".

Meaning? Meaning, simply, that you cast out your Wooley Bugger and count it down, to where you think it's at about 10 feet. Then, you do your retrieve. Nothing. Why? Why, because the fish are holding at 12 feet, or lower, OR depending on water conditions, they're holding up at 5 feet, in the water column!?!! Frustrating, to say the least, but also part of the fun and science of fishing lakes!
But, it's a lot of fun, if not challenging. Also,most lakes produce larger trout than streams do and you usually have more room for experimentation as well!
So, have fun with it!

Summer time a 14 or 16 deer hair caddis type stripped slowly across surface right at dusk can be a good way to catch really finicky trout in lakes.You may only get 20 minutes of fishing but can save a slow day.

The strangest fishing I've ever done was with a fast sink line, 6ft 6x leaders and size 20 chironomids, 40 feet deep. (basically midging the bottom of a lake from a float tube) Worked like a charm. I thought the guy was nuts but I 'll try anything once. It was really cool. The hardest thing was having the patience to let the damn thing sink for nearly 45 seconds. Caught a ton of rainbows that day.

Greensburg and lakes= Twin

I have ever only fished for sunnies in small ponds. Fun while drinking beers in between games of horseshoes and croquet.
(no skill involved)

Croquet contests are very heated!

But I do think I will fish more lakes in the future.

Anyone know any good lake hatches?

Streamers and chironomids?

Stoneflies, caddis, terrestrials...its the same as any stream. It varies with the body of water...

Don't overlook Letort ant in 22 and 26 in different colors of spun fur.Sparse hackle.
The secret weapon of many midge fisherman until they make the hook eyes so small you can't thread them.

Small black ants work well on some lakes around here. Size 18 with a wrap of hackle.

I had a ball back in september one day when cinnamon ants were swarming. Big bluegills were feasting.

Back