Steelhead Guides and Lodging???

drumat26

drumat26

My wife wants to take me to Erie for my birthday. This will be my first Steelie trip and I want to get into some fish. Wondering if anyone can recommend a guide. Trying to fish elk creek but open to other options. Also i was hoping to stay in a lodge and not a hotel. Any recommendations there or am i better off just getting a hotel room? Thanks in advance!

When is your birthday? I ask because this is not the right time to fish Elk Creek for Steelhead.

My birthday is oct 12th

OK, good. Pending water levels and temps, that won't necessarily be a bad time. As for guides, I have never used one, but there is a lot of good lodging available that time of year. Consider Uncle Johns Cabins for that type of accommodation or The Riviera Motel or Sunset Motel for reasonable rates and clean rooms without expensive frills.

Shoot this gentleman a PM. PatrickC.
Good man knows his stuff.

Karl Weixlmann can put you on fish also.

Agreed on PatrickC He's a member here and a guide.

Not many "lodges" in PA but if you head to Lake Michigan or Ontario you could find what you're looking for.

Agree with PatrickC, fished with him at the steelhead jam, the man knows his stuff

Fisher of Men outfitters is his site

Was nice meeting PatrickC at the jam and agree with that choice as he helped me get set up and fishing for my first steelhead try.

If he's booked for some reason, try DeFranks. He presented at my local Trout Unlimited and I follow his Facebook page and seems like a fun guide to work with (but can't speak from personal experience). He might be a member here, not sure...

Phat Fish Adventures! His name is Phat Lamb (he's Korean) I grew up with him and he's as good as they come. Elk is his home waters in Girard; born and raised.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phat-Fish-Adventures/235771383130747

I've fished with Phat.
Good fisherman.

I'll agree with the PatrickC suggestions. Patrick took me out for a day on several tribs. what you will learn is, depending on the flows,you have some options in Erie for streams to fish. Patrick has great knowledge of what will be fishing well depending on your time. Plus he will cover various tactics and approaches.

As for places to stay, I highly recommend the Liars Den. I don't usually like to burn my favorite place to crash but Jen and Brian there cater to anglers. There are two rooms above the barn, each room is furnished like a fisherman's apartment. it's really a home away from home and definitely a place to take a family and be comfortable. The rooms are very reasonably priced.

I don't like to recommend out of state locations, however a steelhead trip in early to mid October is very risky in Pa waters. No water can equal few fish only near the mouth.

I would recommend fishing the Cattaraugus Creek in western NY. In normal years it fishes best in early season. The creek is large enough that normally flows are sufficient to allow lots of early fish.

Motels are your best options. Search for steelhead guides in that area.

Now if you could wait until mid November on, then Pa tribs should have enough fish scattered throughout the streams.

The Cat has many dirt roads on an Indian reservation. Guides know stream access as well as conditions. Pa streams have very well known access points. Guides could provide access to posted waters if they have an agreement with the property owner.

Fishing techniques are really simple. Dead drifting egg patterns, wooly buggers and nymphs always produce. Unless you are a beginner, fishing techniques are typically easy. Look for fast dark green water, have enough shot to get down and have a long drag free drift and you will catch fish.

The Cat typically calls for larger and brighter egg patterns.

I find most fishermen to be quite helpful if you ask questions.
Steelhead fishing is a lot of fun. A 7 or 8 weight rod is nice. Minimum is a 6 weight rod.

I hope you enjoy your trip regardless of where you go.

Karl Weixleman or Steve at Lake Erie Ultimate Angler

I would second the suggestion of Steve Brugger from Lake Erie Ultimate Angler. Great guy, great shop. I have fished with him on the tribs on multiple occasions. You can't go wrong with him. Here is the store website:

Lake Erie Ultimate Angler

Thanks for all the good info guys. Im hoping to make this trip a big success. Ill look into all the suggestions.. Thanks again!

catt is definitely a better option, however guides aren't allowed on the res.

I have seen guides on the Catt on the Reservation. I recommend a web search and a cal lot two.

Again, early October typically brings low water flows. You want lower flows to effectively fish the Catt. The Catt fishes great most years when most other Erie tribs are high and dry.

http://www.senecaconservation.com/senecaconservation.com/Fishing_Regulations.html

look under violations, bullet point 4.

I don't think the Senecas give out guide permits to non Senecas. (I could be wrong). If you are on the res, be very careful that you know the rules and follow them. You are on sovereign land and are subject to Seneca laws.

Back