Starting a Fly Fishing Club in Middle School

klingy

klingy

So I've been thinking for a while about starting a fly fishing/tying club in the school where I teach in Adams County. I decided to finally jump in, and I got approval to start the club next year. The club will probably meet once a week, and will cover the basics of casting, reading water, fish/insect ID, tying, etc. There are a lot of kids who would LOVE to learn how to fly fish, but just don't have anyone to teach them.

My biggest issue at this point, as you might suspect, is funding/getting supplies. I am hoping to piece together enough rods, reels, and vices to get started (I'm shooting for 15 of each, so I could have 30 kids on the buddy system). I guess what I'm asking all of you is, where to start? Has anyone ever started a club before with kids? Where did you get your supplies? What should I DEFINITELY include with the club? Any recommendations for funds/supplies? I will have a small budget from the school to get started, but it won't be enough to get everything. I have a lot of ideas, so hopefully I can make it happen.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

klingy,

That is an awesome project you are going to start. I admire teachers who want to continue to help students with extra curricular activities. I would start with local fly shops, fly fishing equipment and tying manufactures, trout unlimited, or maybe some other not for profits organizations that are interested in helping out. As we all know fly fishing is just not teaching how to fish but also how to appreciate mother nature. Maybe check with the PA Fish and Boat Commission to see if they can help as well. I would draft a nice letter explaining what your needs are along with your syllabus or lesson plans on what you want to accomplish with the students. Let me know if I can do anything to help out. I am getting ready to move back home to State College PA and plan on helping out at our local middle school as well.

Thank you for taking the time to help our children and students!!!

CVTU (Cumberland Valley TU) does have an very active program for schools...I imagine Adams County can do similar

Gaeronf on this forum started a club at his school as a student. He might have some insight for you.

I can donate some items.

I would draft a letter like Matt says and send it to some of the rod and reel manufacturers. I have spoken to a smaller company in the past about this concept and they were open to helping out with rods and reels when I was ready. Not saying they will send you 15 rods, but even one would help. Good luck.

When I was in HS, I was involved in a club and we had 5-6 rods donated by a fly shop, I would start there. Orvis seems to be the most willing to work on prices for stuff like this and should be willing to play ball to get supplies at extremely low cost. Good luck!

My Dad had a club like that in middle school, by the time I got there the club was no more. I think this a good idea. I've taught a few high school aged kids and they really seem into it.

I remember my Dad saying they had to buy their rods for the club (old yellow Eagle Claws, he still has it) and tying equipment/materials. Which I think is a good idea, then the kid can pursue the sport after the time is over. Maybe try working with a local shop to provide discounts on certain combos for club members.

Great idea. I still fish regularly with my buddy I met in Jr High flyfishing club in the 1970s---I'm 54...

In our club only a few guys had rods and tying equip. but it was still a chance to watch others tie and we went in the gym and did some casting---sharing rods.
Eventually I got a South Bend rod etc and a small vice etc.

I would keep it simple and start the club even if everyone can't have gear....You can at least talk about it and get some enthusiasm going. Do some demonstrations etc.

A few of us actually would go after school with the teacher and fish for stocked trout. Some guys spin fished and some fly but the teacher flyfished and caught fish. It was a great time and it really got me started in the sport.

We started a club at my college this year through the TU 5 rivers. Our president has reached out to several companies that have offered us discounts on all of their products and others have offered to donate items for fund raisers. Tfo and Allen are 2 that I know have offered discounted prices. I think mosty composites with a decent profit margin are very happy to help out, this may be due to our relationship with TU so you could also contact them

Klingy, I'm a recent member of Adams County TU. They are active with the Trout in the Classroom program. Pm me an email address, and I can try and put you in touch with someone.

I got my start tying in a similar club in jr. high and would be more than willing to make a cash donation. PM me.

I would think most kids interested would have access to equipment already so I don't think you would need to provide to many rods. Tying gear would be different.

I think you start with getting participants and then work it together from the ground up so your not wasting limited funds on what may not be needed.

I run a fishing tournament every year which is heavily supported by sponsors from within the community. Local businesses are always willing to provide funding in small amounts. Corporate sponsors like regional efforts but it takes longer to get corporate sponsors.

When it comes to youth sports I say don't leave out the parents. ask the parents for money. Work a group purchase deal with a local fly shop on some beginner outfits and have the parents pay for a beginner set up. True some cannot afford it but most can so why waste limited funding on those who can afford it potentially leaving those who can't out in the cold.

Set something up, request donations from the people on this site. I would send a few bucks towards your efforts cause I think it's a good thing.

Good luck I hope you can get this up and running.

AWESOME Sauce. Please hit me on PM, I will share my email with you. I am a PA guy living in NC. I work as a volunteer fly casting instructor for the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission... sorta like PFBC. I teach basic fly fishing techniques to boy scouts and run a merit badge program. I would be glad to share our instruction program with you.

Thank you everyone for you're ideas, suggestions (keep them coming!) and willingness to help. Knowing this is such a great community acting to support the sport, it was my first stop in getting my bearings to move forward. I'll definitely be sending out some PMs tomorrow. Having the ability to combine my love of teaching with my love of fly fishing is something I'm really looking forward to.

This is great to hear. I owe my love of fly fishing and tying to joining the "Fly Tying Club" class in 7th grade, (1981?) back in NY. It turned out to be just me and my fishing pal/neighbor Steve that were interested... so, us two and the art teacher were the "Club". He taught us to cast in the gym, and gave us some old used rods to keep. He took us down to the pond behind the school to learn on the water as well. I think of him often, turned out to be an important figure in my life, didn't he?
Best of luck to you.
Mike B

This is my 16th year of sponsoring a trout fishing club at my school. It has morphed somewhat over the years, from originally taking multiple field trips to help stock and to fish, to now being primarily classroom oriented. Unfortunately, due to budgets and liability issues, we don't get to take the trips anymore to fish.

We have anywhere from 30 to 60 kids a year, and focus the club towards fishing in general. We have found it is more important now to just get kids outside and fish instead of focusing on one particular aspect.

Sessions that we teach include fish ID, how to buy fishing equipment for different species, laws for fishing, and general fishing skills such as casting, knot tying, etc. We also have TIC, and that leads to a lot of discussion on biology, habitat, etc. We have students that do monthly water quality testing, as well as work on a habitat improvement project on a local stream.

At our trout release day, we do teach some fly casting and every student gets a rod in their hand for a few minutes. I have had some students ask about fly tying, so I am in the process of trying to add that to our program as well.

When I started mine a local shop let me purchase stuff at cost.

Suggest you contact Family Tyes. They have started many fly fiishing clubs in schools for many years. Deep experience on each issue you mentioned. Contact Paul Hindes at 412 719 0617 and visit them on website. Or you can contact me at 717 891 5757. I previously worked with Family Tyes in the Pittsburgh area.

A few years ago, someone put a post on this board. He was a HS teacher not far from State College. He was starting a fly fishing club at his school. He asked for donations. I think he did pretty well. I have emailed him at his last know email address to see if I can share it with this board again.

Sending you a PM from the HS teacher who started one up a couple of years ago. Please check your inbox.

Back