Spring Creek Kayak Rant

albud1962

albud1962

Feel free to continue here. I have no love for kayakers as well, lol.
Some background...beginning on page 3 post #37
Where this all began.

I have been on both sides of this fence. When I am canoeing and can clearly see that someone is fishing water right in front of me, I politely say that I want to disturb the water as little as possible, and if there isn't enough depth for me to paddle behind them, I tell them that I am going to take my line and paddle out of the water.

I never say; "Are you catching anything?"

Jim Casada is/was a popular outdoor writer from western North Carolina. He frequently fished the Nantahala River, which is heavily kayaked and rafted. He believes that as long as the water is minimally disturbed, a trout doesn't know the difference between a watercraft, floating log, or passing cloud.

As a canoeist, I try to be as respectful of fishermen as possible.

hated those yakers and canoe'ers with a passion,especially the boy scouts who would troop and troop and troop through just when and where I wanted to fish but love my canoes and kayak's that get me back in where I wanted to be with out walking.Hey,those close to the road types have to accept my right of passage.

I don't have a problem with kayakers. They have just as much right to a public waterway as I do.

However, spring creek - especially above Bellefonte - is pretty small to be boating on for sure.

As for that kayak course above the treatment plant - it is just one small section of stream. and it doesn't bother me.
I've been fishing in the large flat pool just below it when the kayakers are doing their thing. And the fish there seem to be rather used to it, and just keep on rising to a hatch.

Well if DFG has no qualms and can catch fish there while it's in use "it don't confront me".

I think hanging metal wires and plastic tubing across a public stream is a little bit past sharing the resource. However if they own both sides it is what it is.

I never had a problem with the kayak course on Spring Creek. With so much stream open to the public on Spring Creek one small section is no big deal. Its kinda hidden down over the bank. IF it is all broken up then I understand some gripe. Kayaking courses like that are a rare thing and IF its going to exist they should take care of it. Does Tussey Mountain Outfitters own it? They are a great group of guys there that have a great supply of fishing kayaks. Its where I got my Old Town Predator MX!

Also when it comes to kayaks and canoes coming down a creek when fishing...I don't mind it as long as they keep moving and do their best to not disturb the area. Usually if you wait a minute the fish go right back to where they were.

We share the woods and waters with kayakers, hikers, dog walkers, hunters, drift boats.....

I try to be courteous to all and not disturb them in their pursuit of their sport or pastime, and hope they do the same for mine.

the more people keeping it from being posted the better. they did this on a section of the Boise river and they make it work. fishermen think it keeps the kayakers concentrated out of other better stretches.

I've kayaked that section, it's a fun little run. I can't complain about others doing something I've also done and enjoyed

2 kayakers coming down spring Creek or Penns < 250 - 300 boats coming down Yough or Lehigh. Talk about a **** show

I have had confrontations on upper spring creek near benner springs and on the breeches at allenberry. There are several dams between Houserville and Axeman so I am not sure why canoes or kayaks are allowed from a safety perspective. On the Breeches, the catch and release area is well established for fishing and with over 30 miles of river not sure why the kayaks and float tubers are permitted here. Also a large dam is located just downstream of Allenberry near the treatment plant. I don't have a problem with boaters quietly passing me but I do have a problem with drunken teenagers floating right in front of me even after I have moved closer to the bank to give them room to pass.

Saw this same kind of thing about jet boats,Well i have a yak and use if as many times as i can each year and as for jet boats i hope to own one of them too some day.

1st world problems. You are complaining about being able to afford to stand in a stream with expensive gear on, catching trout for sport and letting them go. While other people float by in expensive boats.

Lord Almighty. Get over it.

Bruno wrote:
1st world problems. You are complaining about being able to afford to stand in a stream with expensive gear on, catching trout for sport and letting them go. While other people float by in expensive boats.

Lord Almighty. Get over it.

Yes, every thread on here is a "first world problem".

albud1962 wrote:
On the Breeches, the catch and release area is well established for fishing and with over 30 miles of river not sure why the kayaks and float tubers are permitted here.

Floating on Any water is legal in PA as long as your not touching bottom

Email received from Dave Kurtz about the course:

I agree that we need to keep the slalom training course at Sunnyside in a presentable condition. However, aside from the fact that it is winter and awkward to do upkeep in the cold weather, the whole area was decimated with the Oct. 21 flood that deposited train loads of gravel in the stream from the flood waters of the Buffalo Run creek. A substantial part of the course became unfit for both paddling and the poor trout living habitat.

We are working on a restoration of the area. This will involve removal of all of the gravel that was washed in that will reclaim 3 and 4 foot depths from the minus 1 foot depth now there. Eddy situations, again for both activities, will be restored. In order to accomplish this task we will probably have to swing all wires on 2/3 of the course to the side. This will enable us to repaint the cross bars which I have done on many occasions when we had access to the gates.

If you are willing to help us restore the area, let us know and we'll be happy to work out suitable projects.

Thank you for letting us know your feelings. It is good to know that others care about the area as we do.

Dave Kurtz,
President, Mach One Kayak Team

I really think we should all get over there and help them with their kayak course....and restoring the trout habitat . I have a pickup truck. Whose got a back hoe?

albud1962 wrote:
I have had confrontations on upper spring creek near benner springs and on the breeches at allenberry. There are several dams between Houserville and Axeman so I am not sure why canoes or kayaks are allowed from a safety perspective. On the Breeches, the catch and release area is well established for fishing and with over 30 miles of river not sure why the kayaks and float tubers are permitted here. Also a large dam is located just downstream of Allenberry near the treatment plant. I don't have a problem with boaters quietly passing me but I do have a problem with drunken teenagers floating right in front of me even after I have moved closer to the bank to give them room to pass.

I don't think there are many undammed streams or rivers in the US. You portage around dams - how is their presence a safety factor that should exclude boaters from a stream? Each dam on Spring Creek has a warning upstream of it to warn boaters of it's existence. I guess in high flows, you could even run the little middle outlet of the dam if you wanted to.

If you think boaters should be excluded from a C&R fishing section, would you support a stretch of stream that was kayak/canoe only and fisherpeople were excluded from?

Most boaters are respectful. A handful of bad apples leave a bad taste in anglers' mouths. Just like most anglers are respectful. But we have bad apples in our midst too.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
I really think we should all get over there and help them with their kayak course....and restoring the trout habitat . I have a pickup truck. Whose got a back hoe?

I declined his offer to help restore the kayak course, I offered to help tear the course down although.

Seems like a nice enough guy, just different opinions on how a fantastic wild trout stream should be utilized.

Back