Sports and Outdoor Show

MCWolfe6

MCWolfe6

Anyone going to the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg this weekend?

I didn't enjoy it much last year. It was almost all hunting and guides/lodges. I think I'm gonna pass this year.

Let us know how it is if you go.

I go every year as it is 15 minutes from my house. It is an excellent show, but Jay is right - a lot of hunting. I did hear that they have expanded the fishing side for this years show. I have booked several trips through fishing guides at the show and have had good experiences with all.

scotto wrote:
I go every year as it is 15 minutes from my house. It is an excellent show, but Jay is right - a lot of hunting. I did hear that they have expanded the fishing side for this years show. I have booked several trips through fishing guides at the show and have had good experiences with all.

I like to go and talk to the guides/lodges and try to haggle with them. I've been on 5 trips through there and haven't been disappointed yet. If I can get a free evening I want to go over and look at canada trips for caribou or brook trout or pike. Sometimes it's just cool to see the new products on the market.

Ship,

I will be there Sunday looking for Canada Brook Trout & Pike. I will let you knpw if something great catches my eye.

For anyone attending - stop and buy a few flies from Cumberland Valley TU. They have a booth there every year. It is not my chapter, mine is Doc Fritchey, but it is, obviously, a worthwhile cause.

I'm going. I got free tickets and parking passes for the permit parking area. I worked up there all week setting up phone and data lines for POS machines, phones and internet for booths that ordered tem.
The whole expo arena is all fishing and there are quite a few fishing areas set up thougout the complex. Most of the hunting is in in the North, NE, and Main halls.

I was at the show today. I go every year. I really didn't think there was anymore fishing exhibits this year than any other year. Still helps the cabin fever though by getting out of the house and spending a day looking at hunting and fishing stuff.

SHOW UPDATE -

same as every year, but still got me out a while before heading home to split wood.

Fishing Exhibits did seem about he same as usual: 50% saltwater from Hatteras to Montauk w/ most being the Bay to Jersey Shore, 30% Lake Ontario Trolling trip for Salmon, 10% Canada(most 8 hour drive or more), 5% Alaska and 5% PA freshwater.

I was at the show monday. It wasnt anything special, not that it has been for a long time. If you're going down to look at fly equipment i saw maybe 3 booths that sold fly gear, all of which were selling their stuff 20-30 dollars over retail price. ( I guess so guys who dont know can haggle for that "great deal"). I also noticed yet another increase in exhibitors that sold junk with absolutely no relevence to the outdoors. Unless you are going there specifically to meet a guide you know is going to be there or get out of the house dont waste your time.

Went to the shoe yesterday, just wanted to get out for my Birthday.
Spent 95% of the time at the few flyfishing booths and it was time well spent.
Bought a bunch of flys at the TU booth for samples, the guys were glad to talk about their favorite streams and patterns.
Watched Bobby Clouser tie some crayfish one on one and learned a new pattern for the Damsel fly.
Met the guys from the Penna. Sportsmens Portal and Eric from 'Coveted Waters'

All and all, agree with the other comments, but it was good to get out.

Buffalo

Back