Spoiled

S

Squaretail

018-9.jpg
This past weekend Atlantisboy, Dano, my roomate Mark, and myself fished the Muncy creek. Mark has been fishing it every year for many years now. I used to when I was a kid, but this would be my 2nd time in maybe 20 years.

011-12.jpg
We used my brother Joes cabin on North mountain as a base camp. Its located just up the road from the camp I went to as a kid. That camp involved atleast one day of grass cutting and/or wood cutting everytime I went except 1st day of trout and deer season.
Not so with Joes camp. He works hard enough and uses the camp for hunting and leisure. He said something to that effect anyway.

039-4.jpg
Not a soul around and the only noise heard is the occasional plane.

017-9.jpg
Atlantisboy bringing in one of many, many, stockies. Some were taken underneath with san juans and whatnot as the waters seemed to rise and fall on a shower filled weekend.

023-6.jpg
The Muncy reminds me very much of the Erie tribs as it rises and muddies up, and then falls and clears very quickly.

022-8.jpg
First one I ever found. They are so precious in appearance. Wherever I moved, its eyes followed while the rest of its body remained motionless.

025-10.jpg
The fishing was so good. I couldnt believe when I got home this was the only fish I took a picture of. I only caught one native brookie and one either wild or fingerling stock brownie. But these were above average stockies in size and fight.
And they were eager to rise come 5 or 6 oclock.

026-4.jpg
We all took big numbers saturday evening but Dan got into a serious pile of them in this stretch, more than someone of his experience should catch. It was great to witness as we took multiple doubles and a triple here.
That was fun. Period.

027-6.jpg
As you can see, Joe is a hunter. Far more than a fisherman.
But the camp is quite comfy and his wife Grace has it looking as homey as much as it looks like a camp. VERY comfortable as you can tell by Chicky and Lucy in the bottom corners of this picture.

013-8.jpg

033-8.jpg
Joe has a deck that shoots off his porch and I could sit there comfortably and watch the hummingbirds come the the feeders he has hanging.
More hummingbirds than I ever saw in my life, by a mile.

035-6.jpg
And man are they hard to get a photo of.

040-2.jpg
The namesake of a town called picture Picture Rocks.
Theres alot of harvest on the Muncy and we saw quite a few get taken out as we were there and could see the numbers dwindle. There was one feller carrying a spinrod and a flyrod at the same time. Atlantisboy dubbed him... "Transformer, baitfisherman in disguise". :)

041-2.jpg
Still rising through the rains. There were multiple hatches and spinnerfalls. I dont even know where to begin. What a hodgepodge of bugs.
As far as stockie fishing goes, it was as good as it gets and having such a camp to go back to at the end of the day was a treat and a half. I kinda felt spoiled as we couldnt even cut the grass for Joe with all the showers. What a trip.

038-2.jpg
And come the end of the trip, there was the road, still un-used by anyone but us.

Awesome as always, thanks for taking us along!

Ahh nature. Isn't it wonderful? Does wonders for the soul. Nice work Dan. Just like me, I always look around and notice all of the other things that come with fishing besides the fish . . .

I have stumbled across a few fawns over the years, and it always surprises me that each time I did not see mom nearby. I know she was probably watching me though. Each time I had no idea that the fawn was there until I almost stepped on it. Probably many that I never notice as well.

Squaretail,

Thanks for posting these pictures! The pictures you have up are all what I consider my home water. Growing up in Muncy Valley, I have fished from Nordmont too Picture Rocks my entire life.

Great title Dan, it kept me in suspense until the end of the story.

Picture Rocks huh?? I drive up through there every time I get up to my lake house near Laporte, Sullivan County - looks gorgeous up there where you were though!

Thanks,Dan. Glad to see you and others out having fun.
Art

Terrific post (as usual).

Benny says "hi" to Chick and Lucy. :)

Great post and photos.

Dear squaretail,

Nice photo essay and it was nice to see places I know well.

Muncy Creek looks good with some water in it for a change!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Jimbo,

You have a house on Mokoma? Hit me up sometime your up this way, Will do some fishing!

I looked at the 5th picture down and said "That looks like the Erie tribs" before I read what was underneath lol.

Looks like a nice little trip there Dan. Those stockies can be fun at times.

Excellent post! I was at work when I saw Dan had made a new photo essay, I waited till I got home to read it. Something about looking at a Squaretail essay over a Blackberry just seems so wrong.

ryguyfi wrote:
I looked at the 5th picture down and said "That looks like the Erie tribs" before I read what was underneath lol.

I looked at the first picture and thought "bulldozer." It sure looks a big machine ran through that part of the creek.

What does the word "spoiled" in the title refer to?

Dear troutbert,

Something big did go through the creek, her name was Irene.

I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking spoiled refers to good fishing and use of a nice looking cabin without having to do anything other than show up?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

What he said.
Most trips dont go as smooth and relatively easy and then be rewarded with such outstanding dry fly fishing and such nice accomodations.
Atleast not for me.

Great post and awesome photos, Dan! Love the one of the fawn. I wish I could have joined you guys up there, but hopefully someday soon. That place kinda makes my place look like a shed......wait....it IS a shed!

Back