Spinners?

troutmagnet

troutmagnet

so i was fishing the tully and i saw what looked like water drops hitting the water from a distance. but when i got closer i noticed about 20 or so trout around 11 oclock in a slower water sippin bugs in the film or right under the surface. I assumed midges but didnt have any with me. I threw a cdc caddis and caught one but these fishwere keying in on some other bug. The only bugs hatching have been caddis and sulphurs, so coul they have been sulphur spinners they were eating? if so what fly(like a rusty spinner?) can and should i use. Thanks

Did you not just post this in another thread? Yes rusty spinner

ok and yes put no one was posting and that was about midges, i am now asking about spinners.

I think no one was answering because you received the correct info already. I am sure if you would have bumped it with this question, you would have received the info you needed again. No problem just a suggestion. I actually read this post and stared at the screen thinking the page was messed up and the thread answers got erased. You asked about it possibly being midges, yet someone told you it was probably spinners. Could have just asked what kind of fly you would use to imitate a spinner.

well i decided to make a spinner thread because i want to learn about spinners and all info would help.......if people saw the midges thread they would never think spinners....so my bad if i did something"wrong"

You did nothing wrong except confuse me. There is a million threads on spinners, check them out with the search function. This is not mean spirited, its just me trying to help you.

Sulpher spinners will be approx the same size as the duns. Their bodies will be a dark rust brown color. Most people tie their wings with white to imitate the clear wings. To help create the silhouette, most tiers do not use hackle...however, the wings are tied going straight out from the body (this is called the spent position) rather than in an upright position as with your typical mayfly dun imitation.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=65817&st=0&p=499110&hl=+rusty%20+spinner&fromsearch=1&#entry499110

Yeah, sulpher spinners most likely. 11 o'clock. Well, you can get em at night in the slower water where the bugs collect a little. They probably hit the water at or just after dark, so like 8:30 or 9:00. That's when you can get em in a little faster water (by Tully standards), and usually find the fastest success.

if it was 11am then spinners are probably not what they're keying on. Not familiar with the tully, but you need to look at the trout's behavior.

Sipping... casually taking flies on top usually indicates an easy meal. ex: a bug that has hatched and is drying it's wings on the surface as it floats downstream, or a dead spinner.

slashing just under the surface... taking emergers of some sort.

big spashy rises... taking actively moving bugs. typical of caddis especially when laying eggs, or fast emerging bugs.

just a few general rules. IMO

yeah it though emergers or midges but i was told it was spinners from the night befiore? this was 11 am and i have fished spinners for tricos but thats it. The trout were under ater and basicly just the fin would break the surface and once in awhile the head would ome out a little bit.....

yeah it though emergers or midges but i was told it was spinners from the night befiore? this was 11 am and i have fished spinners for tricos but thats it. The trout were under ater and basicly just the fin would break the surface and once in awhile the head would ome out a little bit.....

Probably not spinners from the night before at 11:00 in the morning. There were probably some spinners over the riffle above you or at the head of the pool. It's fairly common to have some spinner activity in the daytime, especially if its overcast.

well someone told me it could have been congragating in the small slow spots.......its seemed off to me, thats why i am confused theres not enough mayflys coming off yet for them to sit there all morning eating spent spinners. So what flies should i try....i threw a few nymphs, cdc caddis, griffith gnat and i only got 1 on the cdc caddis..........?

Next time you run into that situation, if possible, try to see whats on the water. If your in a slow flat, go to the bottom and wade out into the same current that's flowing over the trout and look in the film for something to help figure out what their eating.

Keep on eye out for spinners, crippled duns, or shucks from emerging mayflys and caddis. Midges also.

With the way the weather has been sulphur spinners could be falling in the AM, if they hatched the day before. Not all spinners are created equal. The females locally are not rusty, they only have rusty coloring in the thorax, the rest of the body is the typical sulphur color except for the egg laying portion, which is very pail to clear. But I've seen them from rusty to this lighter color.

ok, there was 3 guys fishing that all mornign and got a few trout, while i was getting them on caddis and other flys, then i ran into that situation and since its my second year fly fishing it stumped me.....the midge have been hatching here also.....so i will try to indentify if i can what they are eating......

Back