Spawning trout?

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Has anyone seen any spawning activity on your home wild trout stream? I checked Valley last week and saw no spawning activity as of yet. I think it happens a little later in SE PA.

I was on Spring Creek on Wednesday. The folks at flyfishers paradise said they haven't seen spawning there yet. I didn't either. I still waded with great care.

I saw spawning activity by some brook trout on the Little Mahoning a few weeks ago.

I fished Valley on Election Day and also saw nothing. I've been very vigilant about where I wade. Might make it out today and will look again.

I stopped at Roaring Brook last week and walked up to one spawning bed. Earlier this week I stopped at Laurel Run and the brookies there hadn't spawned yet, but were paired up in the tails of many large pools. I looked yesterday on the Perkiomen while planting trees and saw two browns paired up at the tail of the pool we were planting trees at. Earlier in the week I stopped at Willow Creek and saw no spawning activity there, not even any brookies paired up. I think the fish are waiting for higher flows and cooler temperatures.

Trout are no doubt spawning on Penns creek near Ingleby, Poe Paddy, and Coburn. I fished those ares Thursday and Friday and caught several spawned out females all darkend up and very very agressive. Thursday was better then friday but when the sun cleared the mountains the dinner bell started to ring lol.

I think they started Friday (or atleast late last week) on the Kish.
I was catching tons of fish the week before, but Friday, when it was 70 degrees, I only caught immature fish and didn't even see larger fish.

I have seen brookies paired up for about 5 weeks now, in different streams in Lycoming County.

Steve from FFP stated he saw spawners on Spring last week I read from his website.

mkern. I did not catch near as many friday also but I had big trout going after the streamer time to time. Caught alot of small trout too friday caught big ones thursday.

Saw quite a few beds on a SE PA stream today. Some beds were active, while others I assume have already had the action come and go. There were a couple of really nice fish on a few of the beds - - and the larger males observed were amazingly colored up. :-D

Here is a pic of large bed in a shallow riff.

IMGP1974a_600.jpg

Saw lots of spawning activity on Fisherman's Paradise section of Spring Creek today (Mon - 10th).

Back