Son's first "real" outing for Trout

bjb27_99

bjb27_99

Disclaimer: Yes, he's using a Disney Cars baitcaster rod, but considering he's only 4, I think it's too early to get a spinning or fly rod in his hands yet. Hopefully this doesn't anger too many people. LOL

All fish caught were revived and giving another day.

After 4 straight days of kid duty, my wife returned home on Sunday morning from Vermont and told me that I should get out fishing. However, my 4 year-old son really wanted to go with me. When I would take my son out last year, we used to fish in parks that had a playground, as his attention span and interest for fishing was very limited. He told me that all he wanted to do was fish this time (no playing). So officially, this would be his first outing.

We got to our first spot around 9:45, but the water was really low and I could tell that the open “shore” spots were going to be limited. It did give him some time to practice his casting (and sitting) techniques.

P1060920.jpg

We fished the first spot for 10-15 minutes and decided to move on. The next spot wasn't that much better, but my son was having just as much fun digging for worms to use for bait.

P1060929.jpg

It wasn't too long before he caught his first fish of 2012. It may have not been a trout, but at his age, a fish is a fish.

P1060933.jpg

After striking out for trout at spots 1 and 2, we decided to do some scouting. He had a blast walking the trails and climbing the hills.

P1060935.jpg

We finally found a nice hole near an overpass bridge with no other fishermen. I had a feeling that this would be the place to pull in a couple of trout. Within 5 minutes, he set the hook (basically took 3 steps backwards) on a nice brown trout. He was pumped as you can see in the video (16 second YouTube link - http://youtu.be/zWxa5rtnMeY). Unfortunately, dad forgot the net at home and the fish kicked off at his feet.

But he was ready to go for more. About 5 casts later, he hooked and landed this nice rainbow (you can see the 18 second YouTube video in this link http://youtu.be/xpVtAGbIzhM). I was happy to see that he wasn't afraid to hold the fish this year.

P1060946.jpg

After that fish, we had to leave to get ready for a birthday party. The only problem was that he still wanted to fish (he even wanted to skip the party - he's definitely my son). After the party, we went home and changed and went back to the stream. There were definitely more people out in the afternoon than in the morning, but we were able to find a few open spots. He had a couple of misses in the afternoon (0 fish landed), but we still stayed out for about 2 hours and he still didn't want to leave. I couldn't have had a better day on the stream!

He also managed to fall in twice (up to his knees) – so he’s officially a fisherman! I thought for sure that he would want to go home after the fall-ins, but he toughed it out and didn’t complain (I was afraid to take a picture of him in the water for fear of the “Child Protective Services”).

P1060952.jpg

He fished so much on Sunday, he couldn't even make the 5 minute car ride home.

P1060958.jpg

NOW THAT THERE IS A GREAT DAY!

That is awesome

Okay, this just won my vote for "Post of the Year"!

Congratulations on a great time with your son.......

Dave

That right there is what it's all about!

That looked like a great day. The last picture made me laugh, as that is how I feel at the end of the day.

Very cool.

yes thats what opening day is for. He looks like he is a future fishing partner in the making.

Inspiring! That’s a day neither of you will ever forget.

Save those videos in many places.

Back