Some night fishing for browns..

salmonoid

salmonoid

One of the most engrossing forms of fishing that I've come to enjoy over the past five years is night fishing for trout. I think I'm only at the point of having caught half a dozen fish on my forays into the night, but they have been some of the most exciting fish that I've managed to land.

One of the things that you quickly learn is that the senses that are valuable during the day are diminished at night, and you learn to accentuate the sense of hearing and the sense of touch. You listen for the soft gurgle of a fish taking a fly off the surface, or at times, for the splash of a larger fish trying to make the killing hit on what it thinks is a mouse that fell into the water. You learn to be far more in tune with the sensitivity of the line, and react to slight changes in drag in the water, indicating that something has taken a stab at the fly. And while patience certainly pays during the day, you learn that its essential at night.

There are actually only two streams that I've fished at night. One is a freestoner in northcentral PA, and its given up a pair of 21" browns, a 15" brown and a 14" brown. The other is in southcentral PA, and its given up a 14" brown and two 13" browns. One of each of these latter fish came to hand over this past weekend.

During the day, I prefer to sight fish. I guess I like to know that I'm casting to something. At night, this is possible as well, although a different tactic is required. It goes without saying that your chances of success increase if you know which holes have fish to target. I've identified fish I want to catch in a number of ways; spotting one of the 21 inchers coming out to feed at dusk, drawing another out earlier in the evening from his lair, but not getting him to commit, or the more obvious way of spotlighting for fish.

On Friday, as dark settled in, we used the flash light to spot two potential holes and confirmed two larger fish, one in each hole. When I packed to go away for the weekend, I mistakenly put in my five-weight rod and my eight-weight reel, but the mismatch turned out to be a non-issue, since both fish I caught I used a dapping technique to catch.

Friday night was full moon, which I feel is not quite ideal for night fishing. It does have the benefit of being able to use your sense of sight, but I also think the browns are a tad bit more wary when the moon is out in full. But aside from clouds, there's not a lot to do about a full moon, so about 10:30PM, I went out to the stream. The first hole I intended to fish was along an undercut bank with a stump. With the way the trees and bushes were growing on the bank, there were three lanes to fish the stream from the bank; one at the top of the hole, one in the middle, over the stump, and one at the bottom, below the stump. I had spotted the fish earlier in the night below the stump, but started out fishing the upper lane. With the moon, it was easy to see the mouse fly hit the water, and watch the ripples roll out from it. With a good dap, the mouse hit the water with a resounding splash, sending off ripples of water and ripples of sound as well. I had no takes on the upper lane, so I moved down the bank five feet to the middle lane, over the stump. I repeated the dap, working the stream from close of my side of the bank to the other side of the stream, but again no hits. Then, I moved down to the bottom lane. This lane was slightly larger, which was good, because not only could I dap, but I could also strip the mouse. An example of why patience is key is that it wasn't until about the tenth cast that I felt the solid hit of a fish, along with the concurrent splash and gurgle of the take, and with the full moon, it was a take I could also see. But the fish didn't take the hook, so it took about another ten casts before he hit again. And again, my hookset missed his mouth (and thankfully, the mouse didn't end up ten feet above me in a tree branch). It was as if the fish was just sucking on the mouse, and then releasing it. About ten minutes and the same number of casts after that, the third strike came, and this time, the line went tight. The headlamp went on, and a hard fighting brown showed itself attached to the mouse. I was glad to have a net, because I was a couple of feet off the water. I missed the fish with the first scoop, but netted him with the second. I believe this may have been the best looking brown I caught all year - the red spots were just gorgeous. I released the fish and moved onto the second hole.

The second hole had held some larger fish in years past, but this year, some transportation genius had dumped loose rock off the bridge into the stream, essentially filling in both the top and the bottom sides of the hole. Nevertheless, we had spotted one nice size fish there earlier in the evening, and so I setup casting below the bridge, and then switching to the upper side. But there were no slurps or splashes or tugs, so I went to bed one for two.

The second night, a thunderstorm went through around dusk. This had two effects; first, the water came up a tiny little bit, and gained a tiny bit of murkiness, and secondly, the clouds dampened the bright moon a bit. I went back to the stump hole but couldn't buy a take. I went to the second hole and fished the downstream side, but also couldn't buy a take there. So I switched to the upstream side and dapped the mouse into a little run alongside the bank on the other side of the stream. First dap, the water exploded, the head lamp went on, and a brown shortly came to shore. It wasn't quite as pretty as the one from the night before, but it still was a beautiful wild brown.

Earlier in the day, I had fished downstream a distance, and had hooked and landed a nice 15" brown (third fish in the pictures below). Just above where I caught that guy, I had identified three stumps and root ball holes that I felt had to hold fish. However, they were close to 3/4 of a mile away, so I opted to walk downstream a bit to a few other holes and tossed the mouse in. After many casts in each hole, I turned the light on and saw only one small fish. When we left on Monday, we were throwing bread into the one hole, and at least three larger fish were chasing it, so I either spooked the fish at night, or they simply were not out feeding.

The third night, I visited the two holes I had caught fish in the two nights before, but had no hits, and when I shone my light into each hole, I also saw no fish. I don't know if the fish were wise to the mouse, or they simply weren't feeding yet. There was a slight bit of internal tension for me that evening, as earlier that afternoon, we were out for a walk near the one hole on the stream. Some dog-walkers stopped and pointed into the woods, and when we walked up to them, we found they were pointing at a nice sized bruin. The bear walked through the woods, sat down for a bit, got up, walked on a log and was looking to cross the road, until a Harley roared up. The bear thought better, and turned around and ran back up into the woods. Of course, at night, the bear was on my mind, and so was the rattlesnake that my niece saw earlier in the weekend. There was heavier cloud cover than either night, but it was still light enough to see; I managed to see about half a dozen bears, that dissolved into shadows and ended up going to bed shut out.

Tactics for this set of outings were different than other times I've tried night fishing. I was able to dap the fly for both fish I caught and caught nothing on the downstream side of the hole where I was able to cast. On other streams, I was able to perform a full back-cast; one area has a large pool and casting is necessary. Another area was a twenty yard straight stretch of stream, about five feet wide, but it was possible to place a straight cast into it. On the NC PA stream, I usually fish blind. In the SC PA stream, I scouted with a light an hour before fishing. When I first started out night fishing, I used a hopper (because it was the largest floating fly I had in my box) and caught my first two fish with that. The next fish I caught on a dropper Zonker, hung off a hopper, but I discovered the morning after that one of the reasons I may only have caught the single fish was my setup was all wrapped up around each other. Ten years ago, I had tied a deer hair mouse, which was stuffed away in an old tackle box, and when I finally located it two years ago, (and left it in the vehicle the first time I wanted to use it), I had found a good fly to use. Big fish eat big meals, and a mouse struggling on the water is quite visible to a big fish. Water soaked, the mouse thwaps the water with a nice resounding splash, drawing predators to it. If the splash gets their attention, the V of the mouse swimming across the pool gets them to hone in on it.

Be careful when night fishing. The stream is the same as during the day, but your ability to see the hazards is not. Hone your sense of listening, and touch, identify where fish are located, plan a casting lane, or find a place to dap, plan to sleep in a bit the next day, and enjoy your immersion into a whole new fishing experience.

Attachments

• 20120901203915861.JPG
    20120901203915861.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG2336.JPG
    IMAG2336.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG2342.JPG
    IMAG2342.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5251.JPG
    IMG_5251.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG2378.jpg
    IMAG2378.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG2367.JPG
    IMAG2367.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG2369.JPG
    IMAG2369.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG2370.JPG
    IMAG2370.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5268.JPG
    IMG_5268.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5273.JPG
    IMG_5273.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 2
Sweet writeup. The red on those browns are simply amazing!

Nice fish. I too, am becoming a big fan of night fishing. I pretend my casts have nice tight loops even though I'm using a giant mouse pattern with a 5wt! On my last outing, I was casting from a place that had much water noise, so I wouldnt hear the strike, just all of a sudden feel a fish on the other end. Pretty cool. I too, have seen/heard my share of mental bears at night...

I pretend I'm casting tight loops too, and its almost possible with an 8wt, but its all chuck and duck :) And hope you don't hook a bat, which I've managed to do as well..

I experimented with mouse patterns for night fishing and found the hook-set percentages to be pretty bad. This was in places with browns more than large enough to engulf the mice, but they just weren't getting hooked. They tend to flip it, mouth it, and totally miss it, especially if it's an especially buoyant fella.

My hook up rates when through the roof when I switched to normal size buggers in black, white, and crayfish(bronze). Also big wets in 4, 6, and 8 gave me much better hook sets and numbers than bigger dries, poppers and mice. Big winged wet flies, skinnier bodies.

There is a book by a Pa boy called Night fishing for trout, you should pick it up if you already haven't read it. Has some bait fishing anecdotes, but pretty neat stories about Pa.

I tried the Harvey night as well-fish would not get hooked, they slash at it and half-mouth it. Very frustrating.

One of the most productive methods I've found is to pulse a bugger up current. Cut the river in thirds, and get above the fish, let out line, and bring it back to yourself if you can get in the middle of the river/stream. Put a slight flex in the rod, and gently collect line and flex the tip to pulse the bugger marabou, and hold the h** on. Vicious strikes doing this.

It is really amazing how much big browns hate the light, lol. Even in smaller streams, I would catch fish that I had no idea how they could survive in such trickles.

Wondering about your experiences spot-lighting the fish(How often do the fish bolt when hit with light). Your tales seem to indicate that you pre and post spot holes. Traditionally, you hear tell that you don't flash water with light at night when you first start night fishing for trout. Then, after you read more, you come to find out that I believe Harvey? would actually spot a fish before fishing for it. I even think he would spot it once, let it rest for 10 minutes, and then hit it again, and then start fishing for it.

I never hit the water at night with light, never tried, but I am hearing more stories of people pre-spotting their targets. I like the mystery of not knowing what is in there, I tend to night fish places with good densities of decent sized fish, and I don't even know if I could get a light that would cut through the water in places I am fishing.

I spotted some smaller browns with a light, and they continued to feed unphased by the light. I still do not use
a light while actually fishing as I think larger fish are smarter than the smaller ones I witnessed. I still wonder though if a light won't spook them.

I spent a quarter century as an avid nite fisherman in Montana.
Assuming the browns out there are related to the eastern ones I think you guys back here got some bad info-I found that
Full moon is a great time to fish as you can see what you are doing and the fish are feeding at nite because the water temps are closer to their preferred one and not because of the safety factor.
Same reason they feed at noon in Jan... and stop feeding if snowmelt cools the river.
I carried a light to change flies,but kept its use to minimal to keep my eyes adjusted.Never found the need to flash the water because if the fish are big enough,you will know they are there.They make a lot of noise and surface disturbance.
I preferred modified shooting heads at night with mono running lines.the sinking rate geared to the river.down and dirty,even at night,using big streamers.
If fishing streamers at night choose ones that don't wrap their tails around hook bend.That way you don't need to check every cast.
Night fishing is awesome once you become a night stalker.

Great write up and pics salmonoid. That first Brown does have about the densest bright red spot pattern I've seen...a very pretty fish. I really like the second one too though...I like Browns with that sparser spot pattern, and that fish has pretty brilliant reds too. Nice bear pics too!

Just to qualify how well these methods work for targetting larger Browns...I know the SC stream pretty well and have NEVER caught a Brown Trout in it...just lots of small Brookies. Granted, I've never fished it at night!

DUDE! SERIOUSLY Beautiful fish! Thanks for starting the thread, its a nice intro to night ff, and I now know there's a book dedicated to it! I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of detangling line in my first few night-only adventures. I almost always end a day when I get my tandem or dropper tangled up at dusk or just after and cannot see well enough to fix it. lol

Interesting topic. I used to night fish fairly frequently and caught some nice trout, but really never any bigger than my large diurnal trout. As you note, it is certainly different. I used large wet flies and modest sized black Woolly Buggers. I now stumble around enough during the daylight, and at 62 I prefer to die some way other than drowning while night fishing.
The Book alluded to earlier was "Night Fishing for Trout" by L. James Bashline. It is an interesting read about guys who mainly fished a pool called the Goodsell Hole near Coudersport that was later converted into a concrete ditch in the name of flood control. But, Bashline and other night fishing enthusiasts insist that the big ones are out at night. And, if you recall, joe humphreys is supposed to have caught his 16-lb brown trout while night fishing with a fly on Big Fishing Creek.

Great info Kevin. Thanks for taking the time. Those are some beautiful browns! I love the brilliant reds on those fish, and the double red spots on that one brown. Very nice.

Oh, that is one good sized bear! He looks to be in the 300lb-400lb range. Neat pics.

The mouse and large deer hair bass bugs have always worked for me and more recently I have been using bass sized black rabbit skin/fur streamer and pulsing them in the tailout sections of large holes at night. I love full moon nights and seeing a large brown making a wake for your streamer in the moon light is something that can be addicting. The challenge is keeping your slow strip steady until you feel the weight.

Beast - interesting about the mouse hookup ratio being low. With a sample size of four, while not necessarily statistically significant, I have a 100% hookup rate (or 57.14% if you count the fact that one fish hit two times before I hooked it). Regarding spotlighting, when I was scouting, I was using a handheld spotlight, which is much brighter than my headlamp. It did not seem to affect the fish initially; however, if you held the light on them for an extended period of time, they would move to another part of the pool. After about a minute, they would eventually disappear for a bit. After I was done fishing a hole, I'd use the spotlight then as well, but never saw any fish after I was done. I turn my headlamp on, once I hook a fish, partially because I want to be able to see what I'm doing, and partially because I want to know what it is I've hooked into. I read somewhere that fish can't see red light, but don't know if that's true or not. I bought a Black Diamond Soliras headlamp a few years ago to use, because it had interchangeable clear, red, and blue lens with it. But I found I liked fishing in the dark better, plus the bulb housing broke, so I really didn't end up using it.

Pete - I'm not suggesting you can't fish under a full moon. But it has its trade offs; your silhouette is definitely visible to a fish, at the expense of being able to see where you are going, or being able to see the take. I'd have preferred a bit less moonlight Friday night. It wasn't too bad in the woods, but out in the open, it was almost like daylight.

My brother bought me Jim Bashline's book about five years ago for Christmas. I read it before I started night fishing. It at least helped me begin to think differently than daytime fishing.

Tactics described by various posters (and even fly choice) will vary based on the size of stream or river being fished. I'm a small stream type of guy, so everything I've nightfished could be waded and all fish I've ever caught have actually come while I'm on the bank or shore. However, with large holes, or on a river, I don't think dapping would work too well and longer casts and strips would definitely be in order. I'm also not too fearful of drowning at night; there's a much higher chance of that happening during the day, since I wouldn't dream of trying to cross the Loyalsock below Haystacks at full springtime flood stage at night (but I did in the middle of the day), nor would I try crossing Elk Creek when its blown out during night (but I also attempted that but turned back after getting swept downstream after losing my footing).

Last year, I observed a small rodent (either a large mouse or a small rat) swimming on the creek I fished over the weekend, at night. I'm kicking myself for not capturing it on video; I had just picked up a smart phone a week before but wasn't thinking of the fact that it had a video camera mode on it. When my dad was spotting the rodent, I was SO wanting a large brown to come up like a shark and nail it, but the light probably discouraged that. Nevertheless, it was interesting to see how the natural prey acted. I just wish a large predator would have acted as well :)

I really marvel at the color of wild browns and I'm hard pressed to pick a stream that produces a favorite wild brown color palette. At one point, I would have picked a SE PA stream, but that was replaced this year by a Central PA stream, which had prettier fish in the spring, then when I fished it a few weeks ago. And that stream was replaced by another Central PA stream, but the three browns in this post all have their own special qualities as well.

If you hit one great night you'll never be the same. I was ruined on my very first trip. It was a freak accident, but I somehow managed to hit the stream when the fish were going completely nuts for reasons that continue to elude me. It was special.

I susoect I may have night fished more than all of you put together.
In the west any one that night fishes, schedules for full and near full moon nights.
Only in the east the dark nite thing is popular.
Big difference is in the West,larger water and longer casts,but even on smaller ones like the West Gallatin [Penn Creek sized] ,full moons were actually better. .
Maybe I should have stayed out of this because I am remembering the six hundred plus nights with shooting heads and 8 wts.lol
Apples and oranges.

Thank you for this thread. I now am planning my first night outing tonight after I put my daughters to bed. Just heading to a local stocked TU project limestoner, but I know it has some real hogs of brownies in there. Easy getting around, I know the stream well, and I have a general idea where the browns are laying. Looking forward to this. Got my buggers and sculpins ready!

don't use any that tail wrap or you will waste a lot of time.

Word. Wasn't planning on it.

I'm looking forward to this.

The large brookies I posted in the photos section were caught under a full moon.

Back