Solunar calander

M

moosehunter

Any thoughts on the validity of this calander?

There was another thread on this recently. And most of the opinions were that - like mine - it's a lot of bunk

Weather, temperature, seasonal fishing patterns, forage availibility, light levels, and fishing pressure seem to be the most important factors in determining when and how fish bite in river systems, however if you have a stable weather pattern for 3-4 days then the Solar Lunar tables can come into play. The solar lunar effect seem to have more of an influence in salt water bays, lakes, and reservoirs than it does in rivers. I have noticed that I have caught many of my biggest trout during the prime times in the tables during a prolonged stable weather period.
Not all of the published tables are the same or are accurate. It took a while for me to figure that out.
Rivers and streams are unique systems and fish differently than other bodies of water. I think it has to do with fishing feeding during periods of stable water temperatures like in the morning when the river has stopped cooling from the lower night temperatures and has yet to start heating up from the warmer day time temperatures and the reverse in the evening when the river has stopped being warmed by the sun and has yet to start cooling down from the lower evening temperatures.

I think there's some bunk in it. But really, I think the moon probably plays a larger part than we think.

For trout, night fishermen always say the darkest nights are best, and I believe that. And phase of the moon and moonrise and moonset times are definitely a part of that. Of course, so are clouds. And it wouldn't surprise me if it effected daytime fishing too, if those fish fed heavily at night, it could stand to reason they'd eat less during the day, no?

For ocean fish it adds a huge effect with the tides, especially shoreline and bay fish.

Definitely in the oceans. Right now it will take the Gulf at least 3 days to settle down after the weekend storms and WIND. Then you can fish the tides which correspond to the moons location,over or under, etc.
Watch the birds and cows and check the tables, then decide. GG

Back