So what is exactly open?

L

Lonewolve

Normally in the past I used to fish the flyfishing only sections of the local limestoners. What exactly is open from March 1st to the opening of perspective areas to fish. I have been seeing folks fishing where I suspect its closed ,didn't want to say anything till I have the facts.Also they have been posting on Facebook too.

I know it used to say this in the rules bokk you got with your license--Approvrd trout waters and their downstream areas are closed from March 1st til opening. I don't believe that wording is present anymore.

If I had to guesss, any stream with a specific stocking stretch is closed and upstream and downstream is open.

Some streams list a particular stretch, for stocking some say the entire length to mouth, etc.

I try to fish DHALO'S and wild trout streams now to avoid any trouble.

Maybe we could get an official response from somone in the PAFBC?

All the approved trout waters that are not under special regulations are closed until opening day. Another way to think of it is that any stream that is stocked and under normal regulations can't be fished until the opening day of trout season. Here is the site were you can find the list of all the improved trout waters.

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/troutwaters.html

TYoung wrote:
All the approved trout waters that are not under special regulations are closed until opening day. Another way to think of it is that any stream that is stocked and under normal regulations can't be fished until the opening day of trout season. Here is the site were you can find the list of all the improved trout waters.

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/troutwaters.html

Right, but what if an approved trout water is defined on that list as "jonestown down to state route bridge #xyz"

Does this mean fishing is permitted on that body of water, below bridge xyz?

Trust me the only thing open is catch and release, I just got a citation today fishing in the yellow breeches, I didn't do my homework and it cost me $108.00

If you're looking to fish, search and go where it's only approved year round, which is usually catch and release areas.

wildbrownyb245 wrote:
Trust me the only thing open is catch and release, I just got a citation today fishing in the yellow breeches, I didn't do my homework and it cost me $108.00

If you're looking to fish, search and go where it's only approved year round, which is usually catch and release areas.

You're technically correct (about the catch and release part), although you probably didn't mean it the way the regulation means. It's unlawful to kill any trout now, so the only type of trout fishing you can do is catch and release. However, you are not limited to designated Catch and Release areas (DHALO or FFO or other special regs). Anything that is not an ATW is open but all fish must be returned to the water immediately, unharmed.

See the PFBC's response to this. You're still probably at the mercy of the local WCO to some degree on the upstream/downstream portions of an ATW.

On streams, where only part of the stream is considered approved trout waters, you can fish above the ATW section, but not below.

So ridiculous anymore, just go back to flyfishing only sections of streams, then they stay open for the month or so that the rest of the creek is closed. I always fished flyfishing only sections for this time period... Haven't killed a trout since 1995. Always catch and release.

I remember as a young boy in the 70's that creeks would be closed after June or something, That was when my dad and i would fish the local rivers for smallmouth, catfish, panfish. We also went to the lake.Never fished in the fall either.
Reason I asked is I am confused. I also saw some folks posting fishing excursions on brookie streams and such bragging about all the fish they were catching. I have no problem if the stream is open. But my understanding was that only reg sections were open.

Also IMHO i think Pennsylvania really dropped the ball when they did away with heritage water and flyfishing only sections. Caved to Spinnning rod guys who were to lazy an cheap to get a flyrod an learn how to be real stewards of the stream or resource

Lonewolve wrote:
So ridiculous anymore, just go back to flyfishing only sections of streams, then they stay open for the month or so that the rest of the creek is closed. I always fished flyfishing only sections for this time period... Haven't killed a trout since 1995. Always catch and release.

I remember as a young boy in the 70's that creeks would be closed after June or something, That was when my dad and i would fish the local rivers for smallmouth, catfish, panfish. We also went to the lake.Never fished in the fall either.
Reason I asked is I am confused. I also saw some folks posting fishing excursions on brookie streams and such bragging about all the fish they were catching. I have no problem if the stream is open. But my understanding was that only reg sections were open.

Also IMHO i think Pennsylvania really dropped the ball when they did away with heritage water and flyfishing only sections. Caved to Spinnning rod guys who were to lazy an cheap to get a flyrod an learn how to be real stewards of the stream or resource

Lonewolf,

TYoung is spot on. Follow the discussion, It is crystal clear. You only need to know the stocked stream sections and avoid them.

Also, your assessment of the Heritage elimination is incorrect. Heritage combined with DHFFO and other C&R FFO areas to form a CR& FFO regulation designed to simplify the regs. Spin fishing or caving to spin fishers had nothing to do with it.

Lonewolve wrote:

LW,
Most brookie streams are not stocked and therefore are open to fishing (catch and release) this time of year.

Regarding fly fishing only: They didn't do away with "heritage" areas - they simply changed the name. These sections, which are fly fishing only....have gone through many different names over the years. Originally, when I was a kid, they were "Fish for Fun," then, "Limestone Springs Wild Trout water," then "Heritage Angling," and now just "Fly Fishing Only Catch and Release." Very few of these streams that were fly fishing only have been changed to artificial lures (Yellow Breeches is the only example I can think of).

If PFBC did what you wanted Lonewolve, the spin guys would say the PFBC caved to the Fly Fishing guys who are snobs on the stream and think that just because they fly fish they have more of a right to fish PA's waters. So they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

This isnt even tough, go the pfbc map and check, dalo, ffo, class a, trouphy trout, special reg waters, and approved year long waters, hit refresh.

bingo thats where you can fish.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/county.htm

StarvinMarvin wrote:
This isnt even tough, go the pfbc map and check, dalo, ffo, class a, trouphy trout, special reg waters, and approved year long waters, hit refresh.

bingo thats where you can fish.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/county.htm

But wait....there's more! :-D

Maurice ,starving,
Thank you so much for the info. Like I stated earlier From March 31st to the opener I always fished the FFO sections. I figured I would ask here because a lot of others are up to date on current regulations and such. Again thank you

Allan for the record whats this caving in with flyfishers? no such thing , There is way more water that is all tackle than any that is flyfishing only both in the past an present. In the Lehigh Valley Spinfishers had a fit an were and still are very vocal about getting the ffo sections changed around. The Little Lehigh Heritage section was also one of these sections. As for being a snob....No I started out spinfishing, got tired of being a janitor for slobbish bait an spin fishermen that were a bunch of pigs. Ever look around at a stream that had a flyfishing only section then the rest was all tackle, the flyfishing section was clean....no litter no busted up bushes or trees. go to the all tackle..litter everywhere and busted up trees an bushes.

One thing I just want to clear up. Nothing above was wrong, but could be misleading.

For ATW's, IF they list boundaries on the ATW, then you can fish outside of those boundaries. But many/most ATW's do NOT list boundaries. And in those cases, the entire stream is ATW, and thus off limits. Which includes any areas that aren't stocked. Yellow Breeches is a fine example. With the exception of the special regulation areas, the entire stream is ATW, and thus off limits to fishing, whether or not that area is stocked.

1. All ATW's are off limits. Again, unless otherwise stated, if listed ATW, the whole stream is ATW, not just the stocked areas.

2. All special reg areas are open, follow posted regs for individual stream.

3. For unlisted waters, there's been a debate every year, mostly about whether you have to use the "chub defense", and IMO the PFBC should make this a little clearer. The general consensus is that they are open to C&R trout fishing. Someone always ends up posting a link which makes it a little more clear, wish I had that link. The extended season doesn't even apply to these areas. The harvest season ended on Sept. 2, it's all C&R from that point forward. And March 1 holds no significance over Sept. 3.

pfbc: "The current regulations are not intended to encourage fishing for any species during the closed season even on a "catch-and-release" basis, but it is not illegal to fish as long as the fish is immediately returned unharmed to the waters from taken. Anglers who target a fish during the closed season could potentially harm the fish and would then be liable for violating the closed season regulation."

You absolutely can't keep a fish offseason. Fish Harm in the First Degree :)

But I never keep fish, and just fish streams with zero stocking this time of year.

I really dont think some overzealous WCO is going to ticket me for accidently harming a fish in barbless catchNrelease fly fishing given the language above. (I seldom even take fish pictures, I put them back so fast.) In the very unlikely case that I was cited, I might plead guilty to Fish Harm or ask for a hearing and bring the langauge above. So it's not a problem..

And at least for small remote brookie streams, I seriously doubt that normal fishing pressure is a threat to fish populations, so these are sensible policies.

http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/trout/year_round.htm

The terminology of "downstream areas" has nothing to do with the closed season. All ATWs and only ATWs are closed March1 through Opening Day. If a stream is ATW only between designated boundaries, you CAN fish upstream OR downstream of the boundaries. "Downstream Areas" is relevant only in defining where you can harvest during the Extended Season.

Correct.

As easy as it can be put:

If it is ATW, it's off limits. If it's not an ATW, you can fish on a C&R basis.

My point is that there's this mistaken notion out there that ATW means the areas that are stocked. It's true that the ATW tag is applied only to stocked streams. But it's not true that it only includes the sections of those streams that are stocked. Even some class A's are ATW's because the stream is stocked elsewhere. Whether or not it's stocked, check if it's LISTED as an ATW. If it is, you cannot fish.

I asked the warden yesterday, if this was approved trout water and he said yes, but it's closing season at midnight 2/28 until opening day, he didn't even think about issuing a warning, I told the guy I feel stupid for not looking into this, I fished this same spot about 3 weeks ago, when I went home I had to go thru several pages until I found where it states that the season is closed on ATW, it kinda makes me feel like I'm driving down a rood without any speed limit signs, the more I think about, I drove a 5 mile stretch and there's no signage of this creek stating "closed season" until opening day. This is wear they would say read you pa fish book for the regulations and rules, I really never winter fished until this year so I learned a valueable lesson.

Back