Smokies trip

pcray1231

pcray1231

Returned from a week long trip to the Smokies. Was more a family camping/hiking thing than a fishing trip, but of course I got some fishing in.

Will post the pictures in this thread later. I'm still getting them off cameras and organizing.

Anyways, the rundown, all streams are VERY high gradient, essentially pocket water, with huge boulders and very difficult wading. It's very beautiful there. Mostly rainbows but some brookies and 1 brown:

Cosby Creek: Fished it twice near the campground, just about an hour in the morning each time while the wife was doing breakfast and such. Didn't count, but I did well. In those short trips, I probably reached double digits both times. Bout half rainbows, half brookies, all in the 5-9" range. Fish in every spot, but they'd only hit once, you either got em or missed and moved on.

Little River - outside park - slower, bigger, and warmer water. Just fished the spillway area of an overflow dam for a few hours, it was right by the campsite. Had one stockie rainbow to my feet, had 1 smallie on (maybe 10"), and landed a rock bass.

Little River - trout water above Elkmont - supposed to be good but I struggled. Fished for like 4 hours, lots of fish were seen but they were not hitting well. I managed 5 or 6 smallish rainbows, which was a dissapointment as this was my designated day of fishing (i.e. I could fish more than an hour here and there). But the highlight fish did come on this trip. Hooked and landed a brownie that probably went 14". No picture though, after landing him I let him back in the water so I could get the camera ready, and it got off.

Middle Prong Little River - Started at the top end of the road. Fishing was excellent, for a short distance. I think I hooked and landed close to 10 (all rainbows), most in the 8-9" range (which is bigger than other areas), in the first 20 minutes. But then, after only a few hundred yards, I came to a point where the water was closed to fishing to reestablish brookies above there. So, I drove downstream a mile or so and fished again. Not nearly as good here. I missed 2 and landed one in the following 2 hours of fishing, despite the water temperature being the same and the water looking identical to above. Maybe it was fished earlier that day? Tubers? Just a more heavily fished area and thus more educated fish? Couldn't come up with any other explanation for the difference.

Roaring Fork - I fished it for maybe 45 minutes right by the road as my wife hiked around. Excellent fishing. Caught around 10, all rainbows, with a good variation in size (biggest maybe 9").

Sweet! Looking foreward to the pics.

Sounds like fun Pat never been there but have wanted to. Nice report.

Wow. Sounds like you got your share of fishing in. Good for you.
Overall, in my experience anyway, smallish fish are the norm. It is beautiful scenery for sure. Even though it's been a few years since I fished it last, those waters still haunt my dreams.

Ah, man the Smokies are an Eastern flyfisherman's dream, at least if you love gorgeous mountain streams teeming with trout. I did a similar blitz a few years ago (I was supposed to be in Charlotte but snuck in a day's worth of fishing in the Smokies before arriving.) It was total last minute with virtually no planning but it was still worth it. I've been dying to get back there ever since on a proper flyfishing trip. Most rainbows are down in the lowest elevations or near roads and campgrounds, further up in the watersheds you go you get more browns and brookies and then just brookies way up in the headwaters. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

What no Abrams ? That's the best one IMHO

I think a Smokies 2012 trip may be in order. Mid to late April always seemed like a good time to go. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Sounds like a great trip! Glad to hear you were able to hit up Roaring Fork...it's a beautiful stream and if you hike upstream a little ways you'll hit some nice brookie water...

Knowing the beauty of the smokies and the quality of your pics, I am looking forward to seeing the trip

Alright, here's the pics from the fishing camera. I really didn't take as many as I should have. I do love pic #7, though, the 2 brookies holding in the distance. I'll post a few from the big camera too in a more traditional fashion.

Fredrick, I'll post pics of Abrams, but it was running a bit warm, and most of my fishing time was short midday stints. Again, it wasn't a fishing trip, I stole an hour here and there when I could.

I love brookies - that was a problem of mine all trip. Notice most of my trips were little 1 hour jobs. Just didn't have the time to get back in, but I'd love to.

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/pcray1231/Smokies%20Fishing/?albumview=slideshow

More pics

Attachments

• fromclingmans.jpg
    fromclingmans.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 3
  • fromcades.jpg
    fromcades.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 4
2 more for now

Attachments

• AbramsCreek.JPG
    AbramsCreek.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 3
  • barredowl.JPG
    barredowl.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 3
Nice pictures... cool gecko :)

Gee that cades vista could be where the Unibomber lived-

Hope you kept the bows.
Nice pics.

Cool report and pics pcray. Not too bad considering it wasn't a "fishing trip." My wife knows the only way to ensure that is to make sure none of my rods make it into the car...and I've gotten pretty good at hiding them...hint, golf bag. Either that or book a vacation in the desert. Anyway, glad you found some time on the water and got into a few.

Great pics and report as always. The owl picture is outstanding.

Thanks for sharing all of those pics Pat. Awesome stuff. I enjoy seeing the world through other's lenses because it's always neat to see what other folks would photograph in an area that I might not even consider.

k-bob. lol. I wouldn't be living up to my geek potential if I didn't point out that you're not only in the wrong species, but the wrong genus, family, order and even class! Gecko = reptile. Salamander = amphibian. This guy might be more related to the rainbows than to a gecko, at least it'd be close.

My wife loves amphibians, and we're science geeks, so, yeah, sorry for that.

We did see some representatives of the reptiles though. Met a water snake, a 5 lined skink, and a box turtle. Got pictures of the former 2, the turtle was too fast, lol...

Chaz, no, I let the rainbows loose. With the exception of Cosby, there were likely no brookies around where I was anyway, just a lot of rainbows, the occasional brown, and maybe a smallmouth or two.

Back