Shocking Behavior on Discovery Channel Show---Bear Fishing

Night_Stalker

Night_Stalker

Discovery Channel has a show called "Alaskan Bush People" and on that show the people are pretty darn special.

They have a clip of their unique way of fishing…if you can call it that. They got them som skiiilllls

DO NOT WATCH IF YOU GET PISSED OFF EASY!

It does remind me of Opening Day at Children's Lake a bit.

You can decide if you want to boycott Discovery programing on your own.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/alaskan-bush-people/videos/bear-fishing.htm

Reminds me of the time I was salmon fishing in NY and some guy came in with a massive net and netted a salmon, and walked away. Needless to say, he was yelled at quite a bit. Didn't matter though, because he seriously didn't speak English.

Gotta eat, right?

That show, like most of these 'reality' shows is total BS, nothing too get too worked up over

I don't find that shocking in the least. It's just a typically stupid reality TV show. I turn shows like that off.

I like this show. I could see how the "fishing" parts would **** some off. Yeah shows probably bull, but it seems every show on these days is "reality" TV.

Not shocking or any worse than behavior you see on the salmon river.

it seems every show on these days is "reality" TV.

Yep, that's why I canceled cable. When I took my box back, the cable worker had the nerve to say the cost of cable going up is because of "these actors demanding too much money!"

If they really had skills they would have fashioned a gig from the trees in the woods on the horizon.

My father was stationed in Anchorage AK during the Korean conflict-- Air Force -- and told me he and his buddies used to go fishing in the streams in the area all the time... with baseball bats.

Assuming these are salmon, they're going to be dead soon anyway, so I am glad to see them being used for food. I have wanted to punch a few salmonoids in the head, but for the same reason, I never brought them to hand. :cool:

No need to get pis*ed off. These folks apparently hold subsistence fishing permits. Alaska is very liberal about what means finfish including salmonoids can be harvested by subsistence fisherman. As a matter of fact, the permit makes using hook and line illegal in most instances. They must have an additional sportsmans license to fish with hook and line. Just think of them as small scale commercial fisherman who are able to use large nets for their livelihood. These folks livelihood allows them to harvest wildlife for food rather than buying it at the supermarket which is impossible in many parts of the Alaskan bush.

The punching is a little over the top and it appears that he is playing to the camera... maybe having a little too much fun with it!! Bashing their head against rocks would probably be the most humane and effective method. Honestly, what they are doing is probably more humane than keeping a fish on a stringer for a slow death.

This past weekend, there was an interesting article in the Anchorage Daily News about this show and why filming was suddenly canceled. Turns-out that, while some of the "action" was real, the fundamental premise was not. These people weren't in the "bush" -- their 5-acre homestead was just a couple miles off the Richardson Highway, a few miles south of Copper Center, AK. Mind you, the Copper River Valley is about the size of Ohio and only has around 2500 residents -- but it's a long, long way from being "bush" Alaska. In fact, one of their neighbors got so annoyed at the filming helicopter regularly hovering over his property that he launched some aerial fireworks in its vicinity, just to indicate his displeasure. (Got fined $500 for it, though.)

Anyhow -- subsistence fishing allows for a lot of non-sporting harvest of salmon, especially reds (sockeye). They can taken with dipnets, throw nets, fish traps, fishwheels, etc. Regs vary by location, run strength, etc. -- but like someone said above, they're very liberal because, for most all of the people using these methods, the salmon, moose, caribou, etc. that they take from May-October is all the protein they're eating from November-April.

That said -- I've only been here seven years, but I've never heard of any subsistence or personal-use (another non-sportfishing category) fisherman trying to fill their larder by embracing the dumba$$ the way these yahoos did. Running around a creek grabbing fish as you can, burning-up more energy than the fish you catch will replace? Really -- how stupid does the Discovery Channel take its viewership to be?

(BTW - a "fish bonker" -- commercial or homemade -- is standard carry for about every fisherman I've seen up here. Bonk 'em, cut the gills, bleed 'em out, keep 'em cool and away from the real bears, then process them as quickly as practical. Good eatin'.)

Oh -- the cast apparently pulled-pitch with no notice because they claimed that they were threatened by unidentified locals and shots were fired in the night ...

FNG_IN_AK wrote:

That said -- I've only been here seven years, but I've never heard of any subsistence or personal-use (another non-sportfishing category) fisherman trying to fill their larder by embracing the dumba$$ the way these yahoos did. Running around a creek grabbing fish as you can, burning-up more energy than the fish you catch will replace? Really -- how stupid does the Discovery Channel take its viewership to be?

Yah. It's a TV show.

The Beverly Hillbillies wasn't real either.

Not making any claim as to how "real" it is. But it doesn't upset me at all, as long as they're following the laws.

OMG! And all my life I thought the Bev Hillbillies was for real.
Thanks for beaking it to me nicely? LOL

Back