San Juan, Puerto Rico guide help

Midge22

Midge22

I just found out today that i may be sent to San Juan for 1-3 weeks (leaving March 24th). I may or not get time to fish, but im sure as hell going to try. can anyone recommend a fly fishing guide down there? ive done some google stuff (i literally just found out an hour ago) and came up with nothing. I honestly do not care what we chase as long as its in the salt. Im not going to be able to bring any gear with me (plus i have zero salt water gear) so that is a must. anyone been there or can you recommend someone for me to call to set something up???

This may ultimately not be that valuable to you, but thought I'd mention it as I've just returned from that area.

A short puddle jumping flight from San Juan is Anegada (in the British Virgin Islands), which has some very nice and fairly extensive bonefish flats. Anegada is also a great little island and a would make a cool weekend getaway if you have the time.

We fished there last week with Garfield Faulkner and met with success. We only had 3-4 hours to fish but caught several bonefish (including my biggest yet in my very limited bonefishing experience at around 6-7 lbs). We saw *plenty* of bones.

Anegada's bones see very little pressure and there seem to be plenty of them around. Honestly, if not for a few schools which inexplicably wouldn't eat and a few blown hookups by me, it could have been an epic day. Instead, it was a solid day. I'd fish there again w/o hesitation.

Ill keep that in mind, but doubt ill be able to swing enough time and money to do this on such short notice. i am just hoping to get at least half a day on the water. i have had some folks get a hold of me and give me some recommendations and i will work from that. but if anyone else has any ideas please share. thanks all

Tell your boss to stick it - stay home and go on the Tail-water float tour with us!!! Good luck in obtaining info though, sorry to make a wise-crack on your post. Truthfully, I'd pack the 7wt and some gear and try to make it happen based on info you can extract online and from locals.

Bring a stock of San Juan worms.

Midge
Not sure what you are looking for but a number of years back I chartered a half day trip Tarpon fishing out of a marina in San Juan. I can not recall the name of the guide but it should not be hard with a google search. This was not fly fishing but drifting bait out of a Carolina Skiff. Nothing fancy but it was a blast. We litterally fished in San Juan Bay so no long runs to get to fish. I actually hooked up 4 times and landed 3 with the largest apx. 60 pds. It was a blast.
Bill A

The other thing to consider is that tarpon are very likely to be cruising the harbors. I fished one of the harbors in the BVIs and spotted a tarpon chasing bait. A few casts later it was hooked up. Saw multiple other tarpon in other harbors, though I failed to get more than a tug or two in those spots.

Back