SEPA RAIN!

jayL

jayL

Well, it's been raining off and on for a few days now here in Philly. I haven't been on the streams (aside from valley) in a while. How they looking now?

I had a hard time selling the fact that it's a good thing to my friends last night when the bar hopping started to get soggy... They just don't understand the fisherman's mentality I guess.

I guess this is just a plea to the rain gods to put as much as possible over our low low streams, and a hope that some of this is happening in other parts of the state where you guys really need it.

Say a chant, guys.

EDIT:

Looking at the map on the homepage, it's already helping. YES

I fished French Creek this past Wednesday and the fishing was very good. The water was a bit off color and up. Made for some good brown trout fishing...

Ron

PALongBow, French Creek in Phoenixville? The fly fishing only section from the Covered bridge down stream? I thought all the trout were down there, last i fished it in may there were only a bunch of chubs that i saw and caught, seen a bunch of poaching on it too.

I fished frenchy last week, throwing steamers at night, in the C&R section and got none. Chubs were rising everywhere. I would say its pretty much done, unless you're after one fish an evening.
Week before I got a 17" brown in the riffles. There's still a local stock stream by there holding fish....

I live near French Creek and fish it quite often the in the early season for a quick trip near home. The FFO is stocked in the beginning of March and again in mid April. French warms quickly in late May or June depending on the weather and flow. In the heat of the summertime the water temp gets well into the upper 70’s, since there are no cool tributaries or springs to cool the water, at least to my knowledge. I would think that summer fishing would yield mostly chubs, sunfish, and little smallmouths. For the few remaining trout in the stream, I would give them a break and not fish for them when the temperature is so high.

Unfortunately French is not stocked in the fall at the FFO area, which would extend its use through the fall and winter. You may have to wait for spring to catch trout on French again.

I too have witnessed poaching by fisherman in the FFO stretch, especially when the open area of French gets depleted of trout.

Jay L., for local fishing, I would give the Schuylkill or the Delaware a try for smallmouths.

Back