Reporting illegal fishing

Reeder

Reeder

I live along Lycoming creek, above the delayed harvest. A couple of younger guys parked above my house and began walking towards the stream with their fly rods. I politely told them they shouldn't fish because the season was closed and I didn't want to see them get in trouble, and told them where the delayed harvest started. They said thanks and continued downstream towards the delayed harvest. Half an hour later they fished their way right on up through, and are still standing there fishing and looking over their shoulders as I type this. Is there some kind of after hours hotline I can call to report them? I left a message with the northcentral pfbc office, but I sure would like to see them get caught in the act. It takes some balls for them to do that.

Just call the local Law Enforcement Office of PFBC, someone will respond.

Take pictures of them and their license plate, then report them. This way, the stream will still have trout on opening day.

I have the tel/text numbers of quite a few WCOs in SE PA. Taking pix of the perps and vehicles is excellent. BTW, even if reception on your phone is poor, a text will often go through where you may not have enough signal for a call. Even if the text doesn't make it at the time, if you leave the phone on, the moment you move to the top of the hill or wherever there's enough signal, the text will pump through.

JackM wrote:
Take pictures of them and their license plate, then report them. This way, the stream will still have trout on opening day.

It's amazing how fast a couple of pictures will make someone change their behavior.

I got into an argument with a UPS driver over a parking spot a few years ago. He was screaming and cursing at me. I whipped out my phone and started taking video. He asked why I was doing that. I told him to send to his supervisor. He immediately became uber polite and began apologizing profusely.

Try all the suggestions above but don't expect much to happen. Last yr between my sons and I we reported 5 different incidents, often including license plate numbers and descriptions. We NEVER received a call back. In fact were told by the woman answering the phone at the PAFBC that the officers were very busy and that they can't be everywhere at once....Not even a thank you for reporting. So it goes.

Last year I took photos of a poacher and his plate and vehicle. Eventually, after several follow up phone calls to the local PAFBC and after several months later with the help of a younger and more enthusiastic PAFBC officer, the offender was located and heavily fined.

I was told that PAFBC has a two year window to prosecute. Keep calling for follow up and eventually they may take action.

It is amazing what people try to get away with...I was fishing on Spring Creek at the Paradise and even though it's posted everywhere that wading is prohibited, a couple young guys were standing in the middle of the stream. I let the one guy know and he got out, but his buddies downstream kept it up. Maybe I should have started making phone calls, but I just took the approach of hoping a conservation officer would show up, which didn't happen.

I had a guy using worms at The paradise ask me if I was a game warden when I said cut it out.
I said no but I could kick your backside[or words to that effect].
I was a 5'10 23 year old 225 pound power lifter at the time.
He left..
memories.

So the appropriate response to fishing violations are threats.

Got it.

only if you can back it up.lol
I didn't threaten to,just warning him to cut out the tough guy act.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Try all the suggestions above but don't expect much to happen. Last yr between my sons and I we reported 5 different incidents, often including license plate numbers and descriptions. We NEVER received a call back. In fact were told by the woman answering the phone at the PAFBC that the officers were very busy and that they can't be everywhere at once....Not even a thank you for reporting. So it goes.

They probably have caller ID. :p

Cold wrote:
So the appropriate response to fishing violations are threats.

Got it.

As Pete suggested, don't present it as a threat. You can get arrested for that. Trust me on that.

And don't do it unless you are damned sure you can back it up.

Presenting it as a question usually worked for me.;-)

I never tried the "I'm gonna tell!" approach, but apparently it works for the younger generation.

P.S. No, I didn't get arrested, because I fortunately had presented it as a question, therefore not a threat. My word against him, plus the cop that showed up after I was told on just happened to be a fishing buddy. ;-)

Back