Rabid beavers

Was fishing the Pennypack RIGHT where first two attacks were last week. Lived in this area all my life, never saw a beaver....but we grow some BIG rats in NE Philly....

Beavers have young right now and will protect them, just because they bite someone dosn't mean it has rabies. I've had them come up along side of my boat a splash me with their tail.

buffalo7 wrote:
Beavers have young right now and will protect them, just because they bite someone dosn't mean it has rabies. I've had them come up along side of my boat a splash me with their tail.

Saw one of the cooler things involving beaver in Yellowstone on a documentary last night; apparently moose are fond of finding the twigs and branches that beaver stockpile underwater for the winter. This one young moose was moving in to nab some of the beaver's stash and the beaver kept going around the moose and splashing him with his tail, until the moose got the hint and moved on.

Its not impossible for beavers to have rabies; however, being attacked by any animal does not necessarily mean it has rabies.. Self preservation and defense of babies will certainly cause something to stir within the mind of a normally placid animal..

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture3.jpg
    Capture3.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 2
salmonoid,
I've had them come close when I was wadeing and smack their tail on the water. The one in the pic below, moved in on one of my hunting hotspots, just before dark ( prime time for a buck to walk out ) it would come out and start smacking it's tail on the water. I only killed one buck at that spot that year.

The land owner wanted me to kill them, but I don't like to kill something I'm not going to eat, but people say that beaver is good to eat. Some people just take the hind legs. I always have plenty of deer meat.

Attachments

• DSCN0017.JPG
    DSCN0017.JPG
    882.4 KB · Views: 2
I'd have no problem crackin' off a few shots at a rabid beaver that came too close!

TroutBuster wrote:
I'd have no problem crackin' off a few shots at a rabid beaver that came too close!

I'd only need one.

Article: http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Beaver-killed-in-Philly-tests-positive-for-rabies-1408540.php

The man heard a splash and turned around to seek a beaver swimming toward him. It bit him on the back of his leg and made another attempt, so the fisherman grabbed the animal — taking another bite to the hand in the process — and was able to drown it. That beaver also was found to be infected with rabies.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Beaver-killed-in-Philly-tests-positive-for-rabies-1408540.php#ixzz1OMElQKZd

So, how long does it take to drown a beaver?

1fish wrote:
Article: http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Beaver-killed-in-Philly-tests-positive-for-rabies-1408540.php

The man heard a splash and turned around to seek a beaver swimming toward him. It bit him on the back of his leg and made another attempt, so the fisherman grabbed the animal — taking another bite to the hand in the process — and was able to drown it. That beaver also was found to be infected with rabies.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Beaver-killed-in-Philly-tests-positive-for-rabies-1408540.php#ixzz1OMElQKZd

So, how long does it take to drown a beaver?

Few minutes. That's how you trap em.

Where at in pennypack did all this happen? I cant seem to find the exact location anywhere. I fish between pine and veree rds. Was going to take my son out tomorrow in the am but now im second guessing as he has just started wading. Might just have to catch up on some striper fishing in the delaware tomorrow.

I carry when i fish most of the time but i dont know why. With my waders and my vest on by the time i could actually draw my xd sub com the beaver would have me marinading in his fridge.

How bad is rabies anyway?

Beavers? I live in Philadelphia! the last thing i ever thought id worry about is a beaver lol ....Whats next? crackheaded deer?

I have gotten bit by a wild dog before and had to get rabies shots and they hurt more than the dog bite . I have had several problems with beavers trying to kick me off the water some have came close enough to me were I had to have at them with my rod but I have yet seen one make a dam ?

:)

Attachments

• shave-beaver.jpg
    shave-beaver.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2
Cmon guys....Were all thinking it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhyCL-ELRxg

Yotrout wrote:

Beavers? I live in Philadelphia! the last thing i ever thought id worry about is a beaver lol ....Whats next? crackheaded deer?

I swear I saw a deer smokin a pipe off of Veree Rd....

Deer get drunk on mash from a still. back in the 70s, around here, I remember a deer went after a guy, he had to climb a fence to get away, some one called the game warden, when he came out to investigate he found a stll. The deer got drunk on the mash from the still.

buffalo7 wrote:
Deer get drunk on mash from a still.

I had a Biology teacher that was also an avid hunter. He told me a story about walking up on a covy of ringneck pheasants that had been eating grapes that were never harvested. The grapes had been fermenting and he said that about half of the birds flew right into tree trunks when they scattered.

Back