RS2

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Denny told me about this fly called the "RS2". He met a guy on the stream who said that is ALL he uses and was slamming fish. Doing about 5 minutes of research I found some info on it and tying instructions. Anyone ever use it before? And is this a "secret fly" that can turn fly fishing up side down? (I don't think so)

http://www.rs2fly.com/

http://home.att.net/~ferenc/Tie-rs22.htm

Beware the wonder fly-
I mentioned before my experiences-
Most notably a day where every trout in the Paradise lined up to take
A.22 jassid
B.white marabou streamers size12
why I can't say but you get days where one fly slams them but is just another fly after that-even with fish who never saw the wonder,
also saw others have their big day with other flies-an old timer told me he saw that phenomenon over the years
Then the day in Montana where a Perch streamer-you get the picture
Seen the same thing bass fishing with different lures.

It's a solid emerger pattern.

great quote Jay! I was there for that catfish on a fly talk lol.

I killed them with an RS2 out-west. I tied some up and expected great results in PA. It works okay, but not really spectacular. As Jay said, good emerger pattern and works okay for Baetis hatches around here. Many guys wieght it and use it in the column or near the bottom too. It's worth having in your box.......but a miracle fly it aint.

Ry,

I went to tie some tonight, but realized I had a box full of parachute adults. Take a pair of nippers to remove hackle and shorten the post, and there ya have it. Two flies for the price of one.

I just read about a guy who does very well on the Delaware with this fly. They highly respect the designer, who has a webpage just for this fly.

http://www.rs2fly.com/

yeah I was thinking of tying them small for midges too. sz 18-24. Denny said the guy who was slaying fish on they was drifting them and lifting his rod on the swing in front of a fish to get them to strike. Said it was like clockwork. I don't believe in a miracle fly, and this one is a very basic pattern, but I may add a few to my box.

Back West it is the default "stumped" fly that imitates callibaetis, midge, and even trico emergers. I used it a bit here in SE PA this winter but have yet to turn a head with it. Perhaps the largest trout I've caught in CO was on an RS2 in March.

Here's a cheesy bit of brief history of the fly from http://home.att.net/~ferenc/:

"Rim Chung took up fly fishing 30 years ago. Shortly thereafter he designed a fly which later evolved into the RS2 (Rim's Semblance #2). His motive was to come up with a simplified nymph that resembled an emerging mayfly. The success of the first version of his fly encouraged further improvements until the RS2 evolved.

Since designing the RS2, Rim has never used another fly. He successfully fished his fly all over the US, Canada, and even in Korea. The RS2 has gained wide acceptance among fly fisherman. Rim is frequently asked to give presentations by fly fishing clubs around Colorado."

The youth team beat the adult Chinese team in Colorado.

"Denny said the guy who was slaying fish on they was drifting them and lifting his rod on the swing in front of a fish to get them to strike."

I think this points out something that is probably the better half of any "killer pattern"... the presentation. Chances are, if you have that down, you can switch to another pattern... even one that is quite different, and do well.

I think Maurice is right. The presentation is key. I myself have never been that succesful with it. That day was one of the most unreal displays of fishing I have wittnessed. He was calling his shot everytime.

It's true, this is a real fish catcher-it can make your day. Try tying different materials for the wing. Sometimes I use foam or CDC- that way it can also be fished as an emerger on top or as a nymph with a small split shot. A great fly. A wide split of the tails seems to be crucial. A killer as a nymph.
Malcolm

It's a killer for me at certain times of the year.

Back