Question of Legality

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

As many of you know, I moved to the great state of West Virginia in March of 2019. Prior to moving, I purchased a PA fishing license, as it was my practice to do at the beginning of every new year. I had fishing to do in PA in early 2019, and I wasn't sure that I was moving until February (actually, I didn't know 100% til the weekend before we moved!)

Now that I'm a resident of WV, I just assume I need to purchase a non-residential PA fishing license. I am more than willing to do that, however, when I tried to purchase one online, the "system" basically told me I can't do it since a 2019 license is already on record for me.

I'm makin' my trip up north soon, I'd prefer to not have to mess around w/ purchasing a license once I get up to camp, especially since I plan on fishing before most stores open my first day up there.

Thoughts? Am I legal? Should I not worry about it and just display my residential license? I don't want to be dishonest here.

Display the resident for this year and buy a non for next year

I agree. As long as you display it there won’t be an issue.

You do bring up an excellent point. I purchased a 10 year license and I’m in year 2. Although I have no intention of moving, I wonder how they would handle that.

I agree with the above, and if you still have your Pa drivers license, even better.

There really shouldn't be a problem because when you actually bought it, you were a resident.

Call a PFBC regional law enforcement office.

Turn yourself in as soon as you cross the border.

NO FISH FOR YOU!

No PA drivers license. When you get WV license, they destroy the PA license.

Mike wrote:

So, you don't know the answer to this either, then?

Andy, Since you bought it legal, you are still legal, I just looked it up for you.

In the summary book it says the following.

"All issued resident fishing licenses will remain valid for the year or years for which they are issued, regardless of whether the license holder is no longer a bona fide Pennsylvania resident."

No really. I didn't make that up.

https://pfbc.pa.gov/fishpub/summaryad/licenses.html

This answered Prospector's question as well.

Good. Thanks Dave. Now I wish I bought a multi-year license prior to leaving :p

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Mike wrote:

Sas your guilty as charged. I hope you don't start a sermon with "SO" :p GG

gulfgreyhound wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:
Mike wrote:

Sas your guilty as charged. I hope you don't start a sermon with "SO" :p GG

I was hopin' Mike would be the one who knew for sure!!!

Just smart off to the law enforcement and let us know the outcome.

When you get your license or multi-year license, you don't have to swear to God that you won't fish under it should you move.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Just smart off to the law enforcement and let us know the outcome.

Send me your phone number...I'll make sure you're my "one phone call".

I haven't been checked by a warden in years and I keep my license in my wallet too. Tired of losing them. If only our president was as honest as you!

Sasquatch,
Before you asked, I never had a reason to know the answer to your question. Congrats...it was a once in 43 year question.

Mike wrote:
Sasquatch,
Before you asked, I never had a reason to know the answer to your question. Congrats...it was a once in 43 year question.

WOW!!! That seems almost unbelievable! Glad Dave found the answer though. Now we all know!

Sas, where are my manners. You are quite welcome.

As far as DL. when I moved away from PA, I sort of lost my PA drivers license before I applied for a new one in the new state. Then I found it right after.

Believe it or not, this happened twice! ;-)

Reminds me of the time I got stopped for speeding on I-80.

Had NJ license plate, Connecticut DL, and PA insurance card.

What can I say, I was in temporary housing.

Confused the cop so bad that he let me off with a verbal warning.

Back