Ques: Mixing Different WT Line, Reel, Rods

skeeter

skeeter

Just wondering if anyone, like me, likes to mix their setups? For example, for larger water I like a 4wt line and reel on a 9' 5wt Rod. For smaller streams I like to use a double taper 3wt line on my 4wt reel and 7'6" rod. And for waters in between I use a complete 9' 5wt setup. I started doing this "WT mixing" accidentally, just brought the wrong gear to the stream once, and now it is my preferred way to fish differ types of waters. Am I breaking the cardinal rules of fly fishing? Is this something anybody does and what do you like to mix?

Heard a lot about over lining the rod but have not yet done. Maybe next time. I do have a couple different reels but have'nt done the interchangable spools either- maybe someday.

Matching the reel to the line is not really relevant to much other than the rod/reel balance and how much backing is needed to bring the line to the outside of the spool. This is why reel are usually rated as 3-5, 4-6 or whatever. The line to reel matching does effect the action of the rod in casting. Put a 7 weight line on a medium action 3-weight rod, and you are going to have a noodle that is hard to cast. Likewise, a 3-weight line on a 7-weight rod is going to seem quite stiff and hard to load. Lines and rod weight ratings I think are approximate. Once again, this is belied by the fact that some manufacturers (usually less expensive, and probably more honest) rate rods as 3-4 or 5-6, for instance. Add in the infinite nuances of individual casting strokes, and you just can't rely upon the rod rating as being absolute in determining what line will feel best to any particular angler.

You're underlining. This is usually done when longer casts are required, as you need more line in the air to load the rod. I've never done that, but I usually fish smaller creeks.

I do overline often though. This allows me to load the rod for shorter casts.

As long as you keep it within one size difference (4 to 5 or 6 to 7) it doesnt really throw things out of whack and get your line smashing the water or keep you in the trees all day, ect.
But dont get me wrong. If I found myself stuck with a 2wt reel and a 9wt rod, sooner or later I'd catch fish with it.

Most any rod can cast a line weight + or - the recommended line weight for the rod. The rule thumb is one wt lighter if you are making longer casts, and one wt heavier for shorter casts. You may even be happier with the rods performance with a heavier or lighter line. Don't be afraid to to try it.

I built a 4wt rod for my wife that I hated to cast (too slow) with a 4wt line, but like it with a 3wt. Also I have a 6wt Sage RPL+ that I didn't like with a 6wt line, but it handles a 7wt line perfectly for me.

That's funny this thread got started. I fished the Tully yesterday. When getting ready to rig my four weight I noticed the outside of the real was cracked and I couldn't get the line of the reel. Luckily I had my three weight reel in the car. It worked great!!.....untill, of course, the wind started blowing. :-(

I like the three weight but don't use it all that much b/c if the wind picks up it's hard to get a drift if you catch my drift! :cool:

I use my 4 wt. line for my 4 wts. and 5 wts.

There's no way I'm spending another $60 on something so similar, especially that only last me a year or two.

Alright, so I guess it is common enough to assume that my "tendencies" have been termified (not a word-however its from a funny episode last night of "How I met Your Mother"). I feel that I do have better control of my line when I do under or overline on specific rods I own.

I facilitize(it was a good episode) 4 weight line on a 2/3 weight rod for small streams and either 7/8 or 7 line on my 8 weight.

Boyer

I'm in the same boat as JayL. My brookie rod is overlined, it helps load the rod at close distances. The rest of my setups are matching, I've never underlined a rod. However, I could see the use of it if you constantly fish very large streams, or in the salt, etc. Also, every action is different, and I'm sure there are 5 wts that have actions more akin to 6 wts or 4 wts.

I believe the measurement for what a rod is supposed to be lined for is 30 feet of fly line beyond the end of the rod tip. If thats your distance, you're rod will do best with the line its rated for.

I match and underline frequently in sweetwater based upon the wind resistance of flies preferance for delicate presentation.
And over line frequently in saltwater more mass accelerated = more energy therfore longer casts Also it's easier to cast a heavier line on target in the wind.

Rick

I would think you'd do better over-lining a rod for large streams than underling.

Chaz wrote:
I would think you'd do better over-lining a rod for large streams than underling.

Why's that Chaz?

All of the conventional wisdom I've heard states otherwise, and the physics checks out.

If you fish long (40+) underline, if you fish short (under 20) overline I fish an 8 1/2 6wt with a 5 weight WF line. the rods are designed to fish so many grams of line beyond the tip when casting.

I'm not sure what the physics say but my cast isn't perfect enough for the physics to apply properly. I have a 5wt that casts best (for me) with DT6 line. I have a 4wt that casts best with WF3wt...that's accuracy and distance. All that went out the window when I won that sharkskin line. Its WF5 and it rolls and casts farther than any combination I have ever had...

Before you can over/under line a rod you need to know what is the correct line weighting for the rod under normal circumstances. Most rods nowadays, especially the fast action rods, are severely underrated and an 8.5 foot rod labeled ‘5 weight’ is really a strong 6 weight/light 7 weight rod. So when you put a 6 weight line onto this rod for working normal distances you’re really not over lining it at all, you’re actually putting the correct line weight on the rod.

Rods are supposed to be rated with 30 feet of line. However, there are all kinds of different lines available. Rio Gold and SA General Presentation are lines that are actually ½ weight heavier than rated. Then you have different front/rear tapers, belly lengths, etc., and each of these variables affect how a rod.

Once you know the true line rating of the rod then you can over/under line depending on the rod’s action and fishing circumstances. True slow, medium and maybe some medium-fast action rods should be fished at the true rated line at distances under 40 feet. If you really need to start pushing distance then you underline because 40 feet of 5 weight line will probably weight the same as say 55 feet of 4 weight line and it is the weight of the line in the air that the rod needs to support and carry. This is why you don’t overline for distance casting – you’ll overload the rod, your loops will open, you’ll get poor energy transfer and the result will be you won’t be able to generate adequate line speed. Over lining one of these rods would help if you’re fishing a small pool say 15 feet long and you need to use a 9 foot leader so you only have 6 feet of line in the air. Then over lining could make sense with such a short amount of line in the air.

Most fast action rods on the market today (unless a top end fast action Sage, Winston, Scott, etc.,) are probably underrated so they benefit from over lining to help load the rod when casting under 30 feet or so. Beyond this distance it is probably best to use the true rated line because most fast action rods are designed to carry a lot of line in the air to maximize distance. The top end fast action rods, though, actually perform quite well with their rated line across the board.

Yeah the one I like to over line is a medium action 20 year old LLbean..the one I have been using with teh new 5wt line is a year old fast action rod. go figure.

Back