Possible dam failure

SBecker

SBecker

Have been watching news and it is being reported that a dam in St Mary's County, Md has a potential dam failure on its hands. I Googled tail waters in this county and I think the only one is the Gunpowder. I do not know much about Maryland stream fishing, but I hope the couple members from Maryland on here keep us posted and stay safe.

Edit: Thought about posting this in a rain thread, but decided it did not fit and deserved it own thread.

Editx2: Maybe not Gunpowder

Found this now

Doesn't have to be a tailwater. Could be any dam including low head dams etc.

Correct

Fade/drama queen. No breech potential. What's a little water of the top gonna hurt?

I dunno ask FEW, thats what they always cry about. Water going over the safety spillway.

Gunpowder = prettyboy dam.

I didn't make that up.

Dear Shane,

This lake is nowhere near the Gunpowder, it's on the Western shore of the Chesapeake near the VA line.

I also gathered from the article that they aren't concerned with a failure after re-reading the article more carefully. A dam failed in WI this Spring and it took a number of homes with it, but this sounds like they might just get a little wet?

I'll find out whats going on a little later, I have a friend whose sister and brother in law spent the night in their sailboat at Solomons Island because no one had the ability or storage space to pull it out. They stayed with a number of other boat owners from their marina. Apparently they've stayed on the boat for several big storms, I sure hope everything is OK.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

St. Mary's lake is in St. Mary's county, MD. About 1.5 hour drive south of D.C. Warmwater species only in the lake. 250 acres, but most of it is fairly shallow, so I guess it filled up fast. Outflow stream typically is a trickle. Not this time with all the rain, which at NAS Pax River nearby, was over 9 inches for this event.

I have fished this lake a few times when I lived down there (up to the mid-80's).

I believe that a dam in NY has been breached. If you met Brandon at the Catskill JAM, he lives right near that river. If I can get more info from him, I'll update.

krayfish wrote:
I believe that a dam in NY has been breached. If you met Brandon at the Catskill JAM, he lives right near that river. If I can get more info from him, I'll update.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APb6c963300ff04c45b66e559ae210d7c9.html

Doesn't appear to be too bad at the time. I think most of the rain has stopped and there should be too much issue.

Brandon finally called. It's Gilboa Dam that breached and is in fear of failure. He lives 20-25 miles nort of that so he doesn't see any issues for him. All roads are closed and no power until next week (at the earliest). I guess we got off pretty easy in central PA.

Back