Poaching on E Brandywine DHALO

nimrod

nimrod

I was heading to a hole in the DHALO section of E. Brandywine Creek today. I heard some yelling and as I was nearing it a spin fisherman came up swearing a blue streak about poachers on the other side of the stream. He said he'd snagged their line and they were using night crawlers and catching and keeping trout. I know that hole held a number of nice ones.

I watched the poachers run up the hill through the woods on the other side of the stream as the spin fisher came back to get his cell phone. Unfortunately neither he nor I know the number of the local WCO but by threatening he got them to run off. He did mutter something about them coming from south of the border which I've read of other poaching reports on this board.

This was in broad daylight on a Saturday afternoon with a lot of people around.

I'd like to put the local WCO's number on speed dial but I can't find out who it is on the PFBC web site. Anybody know?

I have the card (phone #) of the game warden that watches over that creek downstairs in my fly equipment. Let me know if you need it and I can PM you the info.

I would avoid directly talking to poachers because you never know what they are carrying.

Get used to it.....unfortuneately! Saw the same last year there.

The local WCO for SE PA is Bob Bonney. Emergency calls to him can be made to his cell phone at 610.637.6398. Otherwise the SE Regional office of the PFBC is available 8am– 4pm weekdays at 717.626.0228.

Good luck.

The will be back . Wish I had time to hunt me some poachers this year
:-(

This is a major problem throughout the SE area. Pickering and Ridley also get hammered by those same "types" of people. I've seen them throwing cast nets at Pickering. It's a shame.

Spoke to some folks here in SW pa and the same is going on around here. One of the gentlmen I spoke to said he chased a few guys out of a hole using Minnows and had a plastic bag with fish in it....early in the morning here

Out on Bull Creek DHALO this evening, walking back to my truck, I came upon a guy walking down to the creek with his son. Both were carrying bass-sized spinning rods with big bobbers on them and the dad was carrying a big plastic tackle box. While I can't say for sure, I'd bet they were gonna be using bait once they reached the stream.
I didn't say anything to them, didn't wanna raise a fuss with a kid around. Hard enough to get kids into fishing without ending up in a fight at the stream.
I'm been fishing this stream since they stocked it, a couple days a week. It seemed to be loaded when they first stocked Bull Creek, fish swimming everywhere. Definitely seems like there aren't half as many trout in there now. So I'd have to assume some anglers aren't practicing catch and release on this DHALO.....

Back