Poachers! - what to do?

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Here is a post I picked up from another site. It’s a long post, but to summarize, the poster fishes a DHALO area in SE PA, and runs into poachers all the time. He has even seen poachers use cast nets to steal fish! He tries to report it to the PFBC, but the office is closed except during daily business hours M-F. He also calls the cell phone of the local WCO with no answer and no response. What should he do?

Here’s the post from “MBWCC”:

“In terms of background information, the water is a short (~3 mile section) of creek located in the SE corner of PA, extending from a crossing road bridge, under two other road bridges, down to the confluence of the main creek. The water is designated "delayed harvest, artificial lures only", meaning artificial lures only allowed, catch & release only between sunset Labor Day and sunrise June 15th; June 15th to Labor Day the stream has a 5 trout limit. Locals will immediately recognize which creek it is.

The problem is poachers--scads of them. For the most part bait fishermen and spin casters, but I wouldn't be shocked to learn that a fly fisherman or two took something out of season. Bait fishing (worms, powerbait, whatever) is illegal at any time. Taking fish is illegal except June 15th to Labor Day. On any given evening from early March (spring stocking date) until June 15th I will encounter poachers taking fish illegally, often using illegal bait. I can usually find a poacher with 15 minutes of parking my car, and no further than 100 yards from the road/bridge. After June 15th the illegal bait & lures poaching activity continues, as does taking more than a legal catch (5 fish). Things die down once the poachers strip the stream of all trout, but come the first Monday in October (fall stocking day) the poaching activity begins again and continues until the trout are once again scoured from the river. Mind you, the fall stocking fish may not be legally taken until the following June, but the poachers will have stripped the river clean by the first of November.

A contributing factor to the problem is Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission enforcement--or, more, accurately, total lack of enforcement. First, there is no enforcement presence on the stream. For example, I fished the creek nearly every other day since 2006; I spent a portion of nearly 200 days on that water in 2007. Despite being on the creek nearly every other day, I have never, ever seen a warden. Second, there is no means to report a poacher except during normal Fish & Boat Commission business hours (8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday). Just completely forgot about reporting a poacher after hours, weekends, or state holidays. There is no 24-hour/7-day 800- poacher hotline in this state. After hours poaching sighted? Sorry, no help available. Even if you call during business hours the warden will not respond. I have the local warden's cell phone number on my cell phone's speed dial (he made the mistake of calling me on a Saturday using his cell phone)—perhaps now he recognizes my name/number on caller ID and doesn't answer my calls--especially after hours—but when I try to report poachers I can’t reach anyone.

Literally, seeing a poacher on this stream is a daily occurrence. You need not work very hard to find one. If you were to walk the stream's 2 or 3 hot spots (i.e. where the stocking truck drops the fish) it would take less than 30 minutes to cover them all, including walking time along the creek and driving time between creek access points. In that time you would most likely encounter one or more poachers on a routine basis, see signs of poaching (worm tubs or other bait bins), etc.

I do this routinely and have assembled a rather large rogue gallery of poachers' vehicle & license plate photos in my truck.

All of this is made even more frustrating by the stream's designation and what that means in terms of number of trout stocked. Because the stream is intended to be catch & release the state stocks only a minimal number of fish; ~200 trout is all the state places within ~3 miles of creek during any one stocking season.

When contacted about apprehending poachers the warden cries budget shortages, being spread to thin, other higher priority duties (pollution enforcement, etc.). Hearing that tale of woe, several locals offered to become volunteer Fish & Boat enforcement officers, including footing the bill and time for whatever training and equipment might be required—we received no response. None.

I have watched the poaching drama for 2-years now. Last October, a few days after the fall stocking, 3 guys brazenly waded into the 2nd stocking point with cast nets and rather quickly cleaned out the entire trout stocking at that point--about 75 fish.

Personally confront poachers? I'm a big guy, but even I don't like 3-on-1 confrontations. When I confront a poacher I take the approach of "probably an honest mistake, let me tell you that this stream section is catch & release, the boundaries are located there & there, surely you'll release the fish" -- I've been told by many poachers, in no uncertain terms, that it is none of my business.

So, apologies for the long winded post, but I would really appreciate any useful suggestions. Approaching the warden is a losing proposition--been there, done that. The creek runs through a state park, but contacting the park warden is equally futile. I think I need a political solution, brought about by either the local state senator or representative, or brought about by heat from the local paper. That, or brought about by some great idea I haven't considered.

Anyone had to battle such a situation and won? If so, what worked?”

If I got to that level of frustration I would call my local state representatives. Their job is to hold the commission accountable to enforce the laws. Maybe we need to have fines from fish and wildlife infractions go into the various commission's budgets. That would fund a couple extra officers.

I would take the post and the pictures and send it to Dr Austin. Right over the regional supervisors head and straight to the top. If I didn't get a call from him I would then go to the local State Representative.

Hey wait a minute...thats Mikes area...maybe Mike can help...maybe he knows....thanks Mike.

I do find it interesting that the original poster never gave the name of the stream. He should have, to put up red flags for others who fish it. The more eyes the better. Sooner or later if there are enough reports, someone will get caught.

The state does need better enforcement. They are aware of that. Right now, the PFBC is hiring WCOs. Application is on their website if anyone is interested.

If they could find money in their budget, wouldn't it be great to have a toll-free, 24/7, state-wide poaching hotline? When a call comes in, the caller can detail the information. Then the call could be relayed directly to the appropriate, local WCO or Deputy who would be responsible to answer the call, ASAP. Just a thought.

rising fish always,
greenghost

Why write all that and not name the stream? Making this a guessing game certainly does not help. In that case you may as well keep your mouth shut as you are the problem also.

In one season I bet you that I could have the poaching down by 50% by myself. :-D

Does anyone know what the starting salary of a WCO is ?

An educated guess would be the Middle Branch of White Clay Creek based on the description. And knowing the geography well; the demographic fits poaching heaven.

I would suggest writing Austin as well as Rendell although he may be busy with Eagles play by play. I have got my best results by ruffling as many big bird feathers as possible. Unfortunately calling the local PFBC, PGC or most other critter enforcement agencies when you see a problem results in more frustration.

I have also called the cops on occasion when the PFBC WCO's are unavailable. They may not want to come but they usually will show up.

I agree, I have no idea why he didn’t post the stream name. I would guess, from his description, it’s the SR of White Clay in Chester County. But beyond that, it appears that he has done an awful lot to try to remedy the situation.

The best solution that I can come up with is to ask the PFBC to set up a poaching / pollution hotline. It could be as simple as setting up a voice mail system, with one extension for each region of the State. WCOs in each region would check the VM to get info on any problem. Even if the offenders aren’t caught at the time, reports in the same area or stream would point out the places to patrol for enforcement. Also, descriptions on offenders, vehicles, license plate numbers would definitely help with enforcement.

We all know that the PFBC budget is tight, but there is no need to even man the line. Costs on such a system would be minimal, and increased revenue generated from more fines and better targeted enforcement would more than pay for it. I know the WCOs would like it, but how many of us have a company VM that we check all the time at all hours of the day and night and weekends……

afishinado wrote:
Here is a post I picked up from another site. It’s a long post, but to summarize, the poster fishes a DHALO area in SE PA, and runs into poachers all the time. He has even seen poachers use cast nets to steal fish! He tries to report it to the PFBC, but the office is closed except during daily business hours M-F. He also calls the cell phone of the local WCO with no answer and no response. What should he do?

Here’s the post from “MBWCC”:

Is MBWCC the username of the poster? Sounds like a hint to me.

tabasco_joe wrote:

Is MBWCC the username of the poster? Sounds like a hint to me.

And it took an engineer to figure that out?;-)

Here is an idea.

Start taking pictures and post them on every Pennsylvania fishing related web site you can find with a description of what they were doing. Maybe even pictures of their vehicles. Word will get out and people will recognize them. Life could get tougher. Not sure if you can get sued for that or not, though. I'll leave that to one of the laywers on this site to figure out.;-)

MBWCC, duh...

...I guess it is the Middle Branch of White Clay Creek.

As far as the WCO's go; I once asked the officers manning the PFBC booth at the PA Farm Show about calling with after hours situations.

I was told that when the WCO is off duty they won't respond. Unbelievable but that's what they told me.

We have a native trout stream behind my camp never a problem until the neighbors moved in a judge from ny. His sons drink and fished the creek every day. After a few calls the father said shot them in the *** and they will get the idea. After a few shots in the air the sons got the pic and the father said next time take a picture of them and I would never see them again. I like his style.

Dial 911.

Don't know how the local PD would respond to the call, but I've run into this problem on the Little Lehigh. The police show up RIGHT NOW down there. You'd be surprised how fast they can get a WCO to show up.

Poaching hotlines for all surrounding States:

NEW YORK:
TIPP DEC is a 24-hour telephone hotline, also referred to as Stop Poachers and Polluters in Their Tracks!. The TIPP phone number is 1-800-TIPP DEC or 1-800-847-7332. It's toll free and DEC keeps the identity of all TIPP callers confidential

NEW JERSEY:
New Jersey Division of Fish
and Wildlife Operation Game Thief Hotline: 1-800-222-0456

MARYLAND:
CATCH A POACHER 24 HOUR
HOTLINE
Hotline: 1-800-635-6124 Outside
MD: 410-260-8888

WEST VIRGINIA:
Hotline: 1 (800) NET-GAME (1-800-
638-4263); DNR Law Enforcement:
(304) 558-2784

DELAWARE:
Delaware Division of Fish and
Delaware Wildlife
1-800-292-3030 (Operation Game
Theft); 1-800-532-3336
(Communications Section); James
Graybeal - 302-739-9913;
Enforcement (Hunting/Boating): 302-
Operation Game Theft 739-9913

OHIO:
Ohio Department of Natural
Resources, Division of Wildlife Turn In A Poacher, Inc.
(TIP) Hotline: 1-800-POACHER

PENNSYLVANIA:
1-800-EFF-IT

:-(

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Dial 911.

Don't know how the local PD would respond to the call, but I've run into this problem on the Little Lehigh. The police show up RIGHT NOW down there. You'd be surprised how fast they can get a WCO to show up.

That's good to know. I've had many problems there with people walking dogs off the leash. They often chase ducks right up the stream where you are fishing. Next time one runs into the stream I'm calling.

lol I love how 99% of negative posts of here start with bait fisherman and spin casters. THE MEAT HUNTERS!!!!

Dont dial 911.

How much of a horses A$$ would you feel like if you found out someone died in an accident or robbery because you called 911 over a few fish poachers or a dog chasing ducks. Lets use our head here people.

Would you not report a burglary because a murder may be happening somewhere else? I understand your point but it's not the job of a citizen to assign priorities to crimes, only to report them.

Right On

When you see a poacher catch a fish illegally don't confort them, ask them if you may take their pciture with the fish, making sure to get their license in the process. Or walk out when they walk out and get the license off their vehicle. You can always take the approach of getting in touch with the second level of enforcement.

Back