Places To Stay on the Little J

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

The Prof and I were thinking we might switch from our June fishing trip to the UDel to the LJ. I did some research on places to stay in Tyrone PA but came up empty handed. Anyone know of rental properties on the LJ/Spruce Creek other than the Donny Beaver[sp] spots?

what about maybe bed and breakfast or something?

There is a campground, Greene Hills, at Barree if you are pulling a trailer. If you're looking for a room, I think there is at least one motel in Huntingdon. Sorry I don't know the motel name(s).

Greene Hills is a very nice CG, not many frills, but friendly and accomodating in every way. They are religious and it probably isn't the place for raucus partying, but a few friends and I sat peacefully sipping beers around the fire and gathered no negative attention.

Nearby Altoona/Hollidaysburg has accomodation for all spending budgets.

If I was bringing my wife I would do a B&B in a minute but somehow don't see that for me and the Prof. Jack, as for the CG, I have been toying with buying an RV/Trailer but need to settle a big case to do so!

Alan Bright has a list of accommodations on his website, none of which would be linked to spring-ridge or homewaters.

http://www.sprucecreekoutfitters.org/lodging.htm

Fade - check out The Inn at Edgewater Acres. Never stayed there but would consider it. Just attended a family event during the day once. The booming metropolis of Huntingdon has a few hotels along route 22. Not too far from the J. For that matter, you could stay around State College and keep your options open for Spring Creek and Penns as well as the Little J.

McSneek wrote:
...you could stay around State College and keep your options open for Spring Creek and Penns as well as the Little J.

Highly recommend this option. I usually spend a week or two out there as a vacation, as well as doing weekend trips. The flexibility this gives you is priceless.

You're (roughly) a half hour away from the Little J, Penns, and Fishing Creek. Spring is even closer.

The hotels on Atherton St in State College have quick access, and if you use something like Priceline, you'll likely get a great rate. My usual pick is the Super 8 on Atherton. Killer (and free) continental breakfast, and the rooms are easy access. Best bet is to pick a week when there's nothing big going on at PSU though.

Having Spring Creek as a backup is a good idea, since it's often fishable when the others are not. YMMV....

off the pinecroft exit of I99 (39) there is a comfort suites. 4-5 miles from the tyrone exit. This is prime location for the middle river and close enough to State college to allow 30 minute access to Spring. It also puts you not far from yellow creek in bedford co.

A positive word about greene hills. They recently signed on for the fishing access easement program for the little J. They supported access (and the LJRA) even before enrolling in the program, so they are fisherman friendly.

if you wish to stay in State college, consider the Comfort Suites on Village Drive, State College. They support The Spring Creek Chapter of TU by providing meeting space each month.

Good to support those hotels who are friendly to us

I've stayed at Camp Blue Diamond which is about ten minutes away from Baree and is back in the hills quite a way. It was suggesyed by someone here. They also have no smoking, no drinking rules but we did both and had no trouble from anyone. But the campground was nearly empty when we were there. It was VERY quiet back in that area.

Kev

Back