Pittflyguy in the Paper

Bruno

Bruno

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11226/1167075-358.stm

Nicely done sir !

Good read! I learned that I go too big w/ my flies.

Very cool....a Kernagie guy too....

One comment on the photo...

Polluted water, hand in water or on fish, hand then on cork, then cork in mouth. I'm no germaphobe but that seems a little risky.

Thanks guys... what can I say... almost infamous. @Maurice... cage is in the water... shark's in the water.... Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again. ;)

Good article.

I have recently turned my attention to carp. I've now been fishing for them for 3 weeks and can say I've been a damned fool to overlook these fish for so long. I'm lucky to live 100 yds from a stream that is loaded with them. I've had all my luck with a very simple crayfish pattern that is nothing more than dumbell eyes, chenille and 2 zonker strips for claws. Unscented too. I've been tying them on size 4 & 6 hooks. So far I've gotten a 25, a 22, (2)18's, (3) 15's , a 13 and a 7 pounders. Every trip I've learned a little more about how to get them to the fly. I've been having luck when I get the fly a few feet ahead of a mudding carp and giving it a small twich when the fish is a couple inches from it. Sometimes it spooks the fish but if it doesn't they charge the fly. Yesterday I had luck with small strips in front of slow cruisers. I guess it dependings on the mood of that particular fish. I do agree that it's a hellava fight when you get into one. The 25 lb'er had me into my backing several times. One negative to it is that it's completely made me loose interest in chasing trout with size 24 tricos and I love trico fishing.

I've always heard (could be incorrect) that you're not allowed to use vanilla as an attractant. Is that true? Never read it anywhere but had several people tell me it.

I'll add that I used to make home made doughball for carp and used vanilla in it. Worked like a charm!

I never got out to my mulberry carp spot this year. Kind of sad about that.

Nice article Lee. btw, I finally fished that white popper that you made and I missed 2 smallies...not paying attention...but the bass seem to approve of it. Thanks again.

I too have become a carp convert this year. I am not ready to give up the trico fishing just yet, but it is a nice change of pace for the hot summer months.

My 1st time out I landed zero, the next time with the right fly and presentation I managed three that I guessed were about 12-15 lbs. The backstabber fly is the way to go. Simple and effective.

Warm water fishing is fun!

Pittfly,
I thorughly enjoyed reading this article,I live about a 1/4 mile from a fllyfishing section of acreek that dumps into a water supply reservoir,I see carp lined up all the time here.Ill have to give it a try.I love my Great Lakes Trib fishing and i bet ill enjoy using a fly rod on carp.As a lil boy my dad and i used to fish for them and catfish on the Delaware river in Easton.We used to catch them but they were on the small side.Yea sure we'd sometimes see em cruising and some of thses fish were enormous> iespecially enjoyed when we would catch the ones that have like lil moons on the dorsal sied looked like lil glass moons,and sometimes i swear we would land mutant goldfish,Some of those were golden orange and otheres were a calico color all had thta wacky lookin mouth.

Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

What's a Backstaber fly look like?

http://www.google.com/search?q=backstaber+fly&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=610

I've always heard (could be incorrect) that you're not allowed to use vanilla as an attractant.

I could be wrong, but my assumption would be that it'd be governed like bait. A no-no in places with ALO regs, but ok otherwise.

Pittflyguy: Cool!

If this really catches on, Ohio could become a fishing destination. :p

I've been planning to target carp locally for 3 years now and haven't gotten to it. I've fished for them in VT on Lake Champlain and had a 40-45 pounder on that I stupidly upped the drag on in the middle of the fight and broke the fish off. I wasn't used to the reel, and it was really sensitive.

Knowing they must be everywhere, I still haven't found a place I know them to be in the Philadelphia area. I've had the Perkiomen recommended in the past, but I believe that wasn't good fly water, if memory serves. Still hoping to get tipped off on a good place to cast in front of crusing carp (wink).

You've got to be joking... They are in every piece of water in Philly! The skuke is literally crawling with them.

Paging FarmerDave for the annoying image macro...

jayL wrote:
You've got to be joking... They are in every piece of water in Philly! The skuke is literally crawling with them.

I specifically said that I know they're everywhere. But them being there doesn't mean there's an opportunity to fish to them properly.

The Raritan River in New Brunswick in NJ has 30 pounders come out of it regularly, but I've not been able to find a place to fish to them, and every one I've read of being caught was caught deep on corn balls.

I thought I was clearly being knowingly lazy. I'm sure that I could find them, I just haven't taken/had the time to scout water for cruising carp.

My guess is some of those back eddies near the art museum are probably good locations. I wonder about down by the airport as well.

There is a bunch of carp in a local park where the Neshaminy Creek runs through it....I just have not been able to get there to fish for them yet....I hope that changes soon though

Back