Pine creek canoe trip

K

Kwright032

A few buddies and I have a canoe trip planned the weekend of 5/19-5/21. Canoeing from ansonia to rattlesnake rocks. Camping and fishing along he way. Pine at cedar is at 1630 cfs right now and 3.14' . If no more rain should the levels be an okay level for guys that have never canoed though the gorge before. We all have experience in canoes , just don't want to get in over our heads with canoes packed with gear.

Just be cautious and use all proper safety precautions. This happened last weekend in the gorge.
http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/05/lancaster_county_man_missing_a.html
The missing man's body was found Thursday.

I hope that you have a great time. I have no experience on this canoe trip, but have been "over my head" on plenty of canoe trips in West Virginia.

I am sure that the water will be cold and so will the air that far north in PA at this time of the year. I would be wearing a wet suit and PFD if I was on that trip. You lose your body temperature a lot faster in cold water than cold air. > 50 degree water is a recipe for hypothermia.

Stay safe and have a great canoe trip.

At the rapids at Owassee, stay to the far left.

On the far right it's pretty rough. Many a boat has flipped there.

But on the far left it's only a little bouncy.

Online maps show where Owasee is located. Look at the maps, be sure you know where that is, then stay far to the left.

I know some decent canoers who took that trip and ended up swamping both canoes in the riffles. The cfs was around 1,000 at the time. They ended up spending a freezing night stranded along the river. I'd do it only if you are an expert canoeist.

By the way, they considered themselves to be experts.

An "expert canoeist" would also be prepared that even experts get upset at times and have a dry bag with dry clothes. Be prepared and have fun.

The French have a word for it-portage-well think its french and a good idea at times sayeth the old tipper.

http://www.moshannonfalls.com/canoe-camping-the-pennsylvania-grand-canyon/

This link has some info on canoeing the canyon. Note the instructions for Owassee Rapids.

if you are launching at big meadows don't forget to stop by. I am across the road from the launch. Pine is in great shape now and the hatches are starting to come off again. march browns, pmd's apple caddis for a few.

Actually had to cancel the trip, going to try and make it up another weekend

Pine Creek has dropped considerably and you may have to do some carrying. Should be a good weekend for canoeing the canyon.

The best advice when I started whitewater kayaking was if you cannot muster enough saliva to spit, portage. Wished I had listened more often.

Back