Pics of streams and Summer Trout Fishing

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

This is something that I like to do from time to time. I used to do it alot more than I do now, but for reasons left undiscussed I dont so much anymore. I wanted to share some of my recent fishing experiences that I have had this summer. All these pics range in the Early May to now. Pay no attention to the date on some of the pics.......my camera time stamp was off and I have since eliminated it. Im so technologically retarded, im just lucky I can get up, dressed and catch a few beautiful wild trout. :-D Some of these streams shall remain unnamed and others I will disclose. If you see an area you would like to check out then simpily PM and I will most likely disclose more information. Now lets get started shall we.

Lancaster County Wild Trout streams:

Recently there was a post on cicadas and where they were located.I was suprised that one angler said that there were no decent wild trout streams in that area of Lancaster County. Some of these pics are from that area and some are not. As you will see....while none of these streams are Spring Creek or Letort caliber, they are beautiful and productive unto thier own right.

Stream1:

This is my all-time favorite wild trout stream in Lancaster County. It is very precious to me and holds alot of very nice brookies for its size. On this trip Sulphurs and Yellow Stoneflies were abundant yet the fish were not rising to them. Sopectorfly landed these two Very beautiful Wild Brook Trout on a olive woolly bugger. We landed probably 20 fish this day.
one of spectofly's brookies
the stream in sunsetting light....pretty
Spectorfly's other brookie...i love this pic

Stream2:

This stream is making a very big comeback with its wild brown trout population. Some of the fish are now good size and it doesnt get much pressure. The days I was fishing were very hot but the water was a cool 65 degrees. As you go up the watershed it makes some very big boulders and large pools. This is where most the browns are.
beautiful how the water reflects
the stream
a large deep pool

This stream also has a tributary that I never tried before. I sure glad I did on this day. The stream flows through another boulder patch and virtually disappears and then reappears in places. The wild browns were in these pockets when the stream reappeared. Iteresting and challenging fishing it was. Just trying to get into a position to cast to them with out spooking the fish was very hard. If you jumped down off the boulders your shock of hitting the ground sent the fish fleeing. To cast from a overhead position high in the air was difficult also. I did manage to get a few fish though. This was by far the hardest stream to fish, for a freestoner, that I have tried in along time.
the stream flowing through boulders
a brown I fooled in those boulders
As I approched the headwaters I was basically laying down and bow and arrow casting in the water. Funny enough I was still catching fish!
hard to fish
the point i decided to turn around....even for me this was too brushy!

Stream 3:

This stream I was asked about by a board member on here and had no info to give him. I decided to check it out this may and I loved this stream! It is a gorgous freestone brook trout stream. I promptly gave all my findings to him and pics. Good luck Salvel!
brookie
good geology on this stream. Some of these rocks are over 450 million years old.
stream1
small stream with alot of trout
this place makes a nice hike too with all the trails
another brookie
best one of the day
last one of the stream

Stream 4:

Is on Wild Flower Preserve. You could literally smell the wild flowers while you were fishing. It was pretty cool. I had wrote this stream off in the past cause it is so small. When I passed it on the road (pvt property here) it had good flow. This day when I took the trail to it, it was dry! Somethings a miss here. I braved the ticks and jaggers and walked the dry stream bed a distance. Low and behold another trib ran into it. From here down were alot of brookies. Most of them are small but a few nice ones. They were rising this day and I caught alot on a red humpty.
the stream
a nice brookie.....i loved this guys spots

Out of Lancaster County

Stream 5:

This stream was a pleasent suprise. It is a small wild rainbow trout stream in Berks County. I stumbled upon it after checking out another stream in the area. These wild rainbow trout streams are precious cause there are so few in Pennsylvania. I did catch a wild brown trout also but it appeared to be mainly rainbows. It flows through a mix of pine forest and old growth. Various hiking trails make this place a pleasure to be around.
the stream
a wild rainbow
stream2

Wyomissing Creek:

Here are a few pics of some of the pretty wild brown trout from Wyomissing Creek. This stream is a treasure!
wild brown trout 1
wild brown trout 2
the stream at sunset
What suprises me is that even in such an urban area.....there is virtually no silt in the stream. It is completly a gravel bottom.

Quitte:

For those of you that read my stream report on the quitte there are a few pics of the stream from that day and another day that I went. I should have taken some of the kids catching bugs for me but I didnt think to do so.
DHALO
the quitte
a nice stocker brookie I caught
the quitte2
at the mill

The Upper Tully:

Consider this my stream report for two trips. The first trip the fish were rising and we couldnt catch them. The wild browns and bows were being extremly selective. Today after all that Tully Talk, I got the itch to try again. The water was 67 degrees. The water was looking very clear and I saw a crap ton of wild trout. Some were a good size too in the 15-16 inch range. I missed probably 20 fish on a woolly bugger. Those guys are just to fast. Rethinking my technique I went with a brown elk hair caddis tandemed with a brown caddis emerger. 7 fish later I was a happy camper. most the fish took the dry. Some leaped out of the water to take it. One actually took it as it was in the air. Made my day! :-D Unfortuantly the pics I took today Im having trouble getting off my camera and onto the computer. I will though I promise. Those browns are very pretty. The stream is gorgous in this section but it does run through prvt property so if you ask me where you will need to get permission before fishing As I had to do. But it is very much worth it. Some larger trout comedown from the upper fish hatchery into this section also. I can wait to show you guys the pics. The Tully in this section is a Spring Creek and the weeds are really popping out right now. It looks really cool. I do Have these pics from the first trip. You cant see the weeds like in my new pics but its pretty non-the less.

my buddy Matt trying to sneak up on some wild browns below the hatchery
sun on the water
the tully

I thought this pic might humor you lower tully fisherman. Above the fish hatchery is the very headwaters. Can you believe this is the same stream!
headwaters of the tully
One of these days im going to try it....i wonder if there are any fish up there. Anyways just on the other side of this bridge the Tully gains alot of flow very quickly. I wonder how. Maybe underground springs.

Anyways thats All i got for now. Hope you enjoyed the pics! :-D

I enjoy looking a folks pictures. Nice!

sal,

GREAT POST!!! Really enjoyed all the pics, hopefully you put them in the Photo section so we can relive them later on after this thread gets buried among all the pages. Really like you work, PLEASE continue to post it when you can.

JH

Two thumbs up,sir.Generally I don't bother with what I think are going to be ``me and Joe'' pics but yours are great.
You captured the feeling of the area.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I will upload a few of those pics of the streams and maybe one of spectorfly's brookies to the photo section eventually. Again thanks for the positive feedback. :-D

Stream 3 looks JUST LIKE a stream I fished in another county! :-D nice pics, and thanks!

Very nice reports and pictures.

Back