Palomino on Letort--recent stocking?

Wildfish

Wildfish

Caught this palomino on the Letort today. Curious to know when they stocked it last. I know they have a derby, but I thought that was later in June. Plus this wasn't near the stocked section. He was skinny and didn't have much energy. Can't imagine he grew to this size in there, but maybe? He was hanging out in a deep hole with another bruizer bow--clearly the dumber of the pair.

Attachments

• IMGP0104.JPG
    IMGP0104.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMGP0096.JPG
    IMGP0096.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 2
I have never fished the Letort, but the PFBC doesn't stock it and I'm assuming they don't allow others to stock it either, but like I said I don't know. That fish probably just made its way in to the stream on own.

There are some scattered stocked trout in Letort. They hold over from the derby stocking and there is likely some migration in the watershed, especially this time of year. I catch some every year.

Not all palominos are dunces, by the way. There was a pallie in Falling Springs that lived under the same fallen tree for probably three years, maybe four. I could never catch him and it was a tight spot. I don't think too many anglers even knew he was there.

Not unusual.

This one was dumb enough to let me catch him...
I was actually pretty thrilled. Although I'm usually bummed to catch a stocked fish on Class A water, I haven't landed one before, plus sight casting to big fish is fun wherever they were born.

Golden rainbows!!! :-D

Sorry, that's right. They do goldens not palominos

He is rather sickly looking. Regardless, nice surprise.

I once had a grand slam on the Letort catching a brown, bow & brookie all more or less at the same hole on the same day between the Big S & Little S at Vince's Meadow.

I know two were interlopers...

Where is/was the "derby' held, in Letort Park and if so why when the whole stream (with the exception of Section 1) is supposed to be Class A?

Does Glade Squires work that territory too?

Bamboozle wrote:
Where is/was the "derby' held, in Letort Park and if so why when the whole stream (with the exception of Section 1) is supposed to be Class A?

The derby is held in Letort park during the summer. While I'd personally prefer that the Letort not receive stockies, this derby has been going on for over 60 years, long before the notion of "Class A" existed and long before the lower Letort was viable trout water. It's a Carlisle town tradition.

Some years ago, CVTU was able to have brown trout removed from the stocked fish allocation for the derby.

I've caught stockers all the way down to the lower end. They move around.

The one and only time I fished the Letort, the very first fish I encountered were tight-lipped rainbows that I was later told were leftovers from the derby. There were only a handful of them, and also one palomino a little downstream. I went on to get into some browns at a single hole (caught just one) before a storm came through and cut my fishing day well short.

The Derby is June 18th this year; sponsored by the Eagles, I believe. They used to place nets/screens above and below the park, though a few holdovers remain from year to year.

Back