Pa Stillwater’s

marcq

marcq

Recents I’ve figured out how to catch trout out of a local quarry minutes from my house. The fish that come out of here look like true wild fish and seem to fight a little harder then trout in streams too. By no means is it easy fishing. Very limited fishing access, using a full sinking line and slowly working it up from about 30’ and it’s usually to crowed to fish. That being said I usually go fish to fish with the guys throwing conventional gear.
My question is is there any other coldwater lakes/ponds/quarry that the state stocked and fish survive all summer? I looked on the pa fish and boat website and couldn’t find anything. This place has rekindled my fly fishing flame and I am hungry for more Stillwater trout.

Marc

At the risk of "here we go", I don't think those trout are wild. Those tails and pectoral fins look pretty worn. But i'm sure the wild fish experts will chime in. The fish in the 5th pic is enough to make me go if i were close. Regardless, it sounds like a unique location. Its always great to have a place that's a little different to fish and to discover a method that works for it. Would this be near Whitemarsh by any chance?

I don't know much about still water trout fishing so I cant help you out there but those are some beautiful stocked trout for sure. That bluegill is massive. I think that's the true trophy!

marcq:

Lyman Run Lake should be cold enough all year for trout.

I know deep in Harvey's and Wallenpaupack there are large trout. The challenge with these two is they are very deep. It may only be practical to try for trout in late Fall and early Spring in these lakes.

Justice lake in Venango County gets stocked, or at least it used to. There are cold spots where trout can hold over, as long as the Musky don't catch them first.

Yep, also stocked with musky.

I used to fish it quite a bit when I lived in the area, but never targeted trout in the summer. However, I knew of a few spots where they hung out. Good panfish lake, or at least it was in the late 80s and early 90s.

Not a spot burn. Its a county park and does get fished quite a bit.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
marcq:

I know deep in Harvey's and Wallenpaupack there are large trout. The challenge with these two is they are very deep. It may only be practical to try for trout in late Fall and early Spring in these lakes.

Yup thats the only one I'm kind of aware of too

bigjohn58 wrote:
Fly-Swatter wrote:
marcq:

Yup thats the only one I'm kind of aware of too

Add Lake Winola in the NE to the list. It's stocked, but trout hold over. Summer night trout fishing from a boat is really popular on the lake.

Speaking of quarries, I went to Muhlenberg HS. The quarry across the highway used to blast regularly, shaking the campus. I see on Google that its now full of water. What is the status of this new "lake"? Can you even access it? from memory of when it was empty, it should be quite deep.

I know that quarry

I believe those fish survive there, certainly all year as its 200 feet deep, but i dont believe they are wild. I think they get stocked in there by rogue anglers who transport them from other places as i dont believe its officially stocked by the state

I have seen other pics of trout that came out of there that were healthy fish that had probably been there a bit but were not wild fish, i cant quite tell for sure with yours

there are lots of lakes and ponds that hold fish year round in the state, near here is hamilton, lyman and beachwood

Thanks guys I’ll definitely look into those spots. The quarry is stocked By a club once a year. The trout do spawn but I’m pretty sure unsuccessfully. I’ve seen some really nice brown come out of here but there is also brook and rainbows.

I’m not totally sure if I have the right technique for it but i cast out a full sink t6 line and let it sink for a minute or so. Slowly strip it in.I’m basically deep water vertical jigging with a leech and a size 16 zebra or something similar. Red and black have done the best for me. Have also used scuds and they seem to work.

Its a great technique. Even better in a float tube. A friend took me out and showed me a similar method using Chironomids in 40 ft. No jigging though. In the tube you just count it down and drift it through at the depth. Then occasionally slowly strip as you do. I thought he was nuts until we started catching fish.

Oh a club stocks that? Its not my kinda fishing so i have never gone over there

Lakeside quarry in Lebanon County near Myerstown is stocked with brookies by the PFBC, so it must be cold. I've never fished it though.

Scott's Run Lake is stocked fall and spring, but warms significantly in summer. Not sure if there are enough spring seeps in the depths to allow for holdovers.
Stocking 10/15 I believe.

Scotts run, thats the one near hopewell right? I was trying to think of it yesterday. Used to spin fish there in my pre fly fishing days

Those trout definitely aren't wild. That is a nice bluegill, especially for PA waters. I've caught some massive bluegill but they were either in other states or from private farm ponds. Hey, fishing new areas is always fun..

Yes Tim...French Creek State Park

Ive fished lake side quarry.
Nice bass in there. Likely eat the brookies.

Interesting my friend lost a flyrod off the boat one year. A few years later we were fishing and a scuba diving training team was there. He showed them where about it fell and they found it. Was pretty neat. Rod was toast though.

Back