PFBC NAMES TIM SCHAEFFER AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
HARRISBURG, Pa. (October 18) – During a special meeting today, the PFBC Board of Commissioners voted unanimously to appoint Tim Schaeffer to the role of Executive Director. Schaeffer will assume his duties beginning November 13, 2018.

“I’m extremely honored and grateful to the board of commissioners for the opportunity to lead such a great agency,” said Schaeffer. “I’m excited to get to work.”

As executive director, Schaeffer will return to the PFBC where he previously served as Director of Policy and Planning from 2008-2017. Currently, he is Deputy Secretary for the Office of Water Programs for the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. He resides with his family in New Cumberland, Cumberland County.

“Tim’s experience speaks for itself and it gives us great pleasure to present him with this opportunity,” said Eric Hussar, PFBC Board President. “We look forward to seeing how he’s going to lead us into the future and advance our mission.”

Schaeffer will replace Executive Director John Arway, who will retire effective November 3.

Is this good, bad, or indifferent? I don't know the person.

More background on the new PFBC ED about his former position >

DEP Secretary Patrick McDonnell Wednesday announced the appointment of Tim Schaeffer to the position of Deputy Secretary for Water Programs starting December 18.

As Deputy, he will be responsible for overseeing the operations of the bureaus of Waterways Engineering and Wetlands, Safe Drinking Water, and Clean Water, Compacts and Commissions Office and Planning and Conservation Division, and will oversee the Chesapeake Bay Office.

Schaeffer has served in state government since 2008, most recently as Director of Policy and Planning for the Fish and Boat Commission. Prior to his state service, Tim served in leadership roles for Audubon Pennsylvania, PA Environmental Council, and PA Organization for Watersheds and Rivers.

His has a Ph.D. from State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, where his doctoral dissertation addressed local governments as partners in adaptive natural resource management; a Juris Doctorate from Syracuse University College of Law; a Master of Science in public policy and management from Carnegie Mellon University; and a Bachelor of Arts from Gettysburg College.

Link to source > http://paenvironmentdaily.blogspot.com/2017/11/dep-names-tim-schaeffer-deputy-for.html

Those are some impressive qualifications. Certainly better than most of the idiot politicians he will be sparring with. Best wishes for him in his new position.

Don't know the guy either but after reading his qualifications I'm left with the thought that he has a great resume on guessing or concuring up stuff (theory) with other pointed headed people but lacks any useful practical knowledge. A perfect political hack for politicians who make stuff up and then get guys with great credientials to back their play. Put me in the not impressed camp.

Well, that's an interesting bit of, umm, thinking...

Just out of curiosity, what sort of additional or different qualifications or resume experience would have made you feel better about this appointment?

The way I see it, based on his resume, he seems eminently qualified and think he'll made a good ED.

That's one impressive CV. A lawyer with a doctorate in environmental sciences. And a decade experience PFBC in a leadership position. Certainly well qualified.

poopdeck wrote:
Don't know the guy either but after reading his qualifications I'm left with the thought that he has a great resume on guessing or concuring up stuff (theory) with other pointed headed people but lacks any useful practical knowledge. A perfect political hack for politicians who make stuff up and then get guys with great credientials to back their play. Put me in the not impressed camp.

Why the negativity and insults? He's an educated guy. The world is full of them and many are good leaders. I'm not sure what "practical knowledge" he can be said to lack based on this bio.

+1

Let's see action!

If his accomplishments as ED mirror his academic achievements, he should be a rock star. That is assuming his actions are in line with MY philosophies. ;)

(see signature for aforementioned philosophies)

poopdeck wrote:

I'm with you a degree is just an expensive piece of paper I'm sure there was more qualified individuals with experience that put in for the position from other states and they went in house instead.

But lets see what the new guy has up his sleeves for the commish.

Resumes...

Is he an ally of native and wild trout, or will he propose policies that will jeopardize our resources? THAT is what we really want to know.

Tim is a friend and neighbor and I am thrilled by this appointment. He is a fisherman and outdoorsman and in no way a political hack. He has some big shoes to fill, but this is a good thing.

STONEMAN wrote:
Tim is a friend and neighbor and I am thrilled by this appointment. He is a fisherman and outdoorsman and in no way a political hack. He has some big shoes to fill, but this is a good thing.

Fantastic! THAT is what we want to hear!

I hope he makes snakeheads a gamefish :-D

Glad to see what Stoneman wrote -- and I agree that he has big shoes to fill.

Lets hope his first task in office is to overturn the trout bead ban on Erie Tribs!! #beadsdontsnag

I hope his first action is to tell Harrisburg he is reducing stocking in the counties that have the politicians that voted against a license increase.

I'd agree, Sal, except that these clowns would (a) deny the increase and (b) figure out a way to fire him quickly.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I hope his first action is to tell Harrisburg he is reducing stocking in the counties that have the politicians that voted against a license increase.

That would be priceless!

Back