PA Fishing License numbers

Berks

Berks

After reading another post it got me thinking about just how closely the Fish Commission tracks demographics pertaining to the sales of fishing licenses over time. I found a lot of interesting things on their website. These links show a breakdown by county and also sales over time of various license products.
Data back to 1919 in some cases.

These may have been previously discussed, but I don't remember ever looking at these numbers.

http://fishandboat.com/licsal2.htm

http://fishandboat.com/licsales.htm

A lot of trends on that chart, numbers moving across different license types, demographics and economic trends. I would like to know the sales numbers for the stamps and the history of these sales.

What conclusions have you drawn from the numbers?

I was attempting to locate the stats on the specific ages of those purchasing fishing licenses over time. Just looking to see if there’s any trends between specific age ranges. It seems like the popular opinion is there are less younger people taking on the fishing hobby and was wondering if this can be backed up.

My conclusion was and still is that as anglers become eligible for a senior license they get one, and the decline in licenses sales since the inception of the senior license is proportional to the number of senior licenses issued.

I think that is probably right, Chaz. Would be useful if they had the number of first timers or people getting a license who hadn't in the past 3 or 5 years, so we had an idea how many repeat and new fishermen(women?) were being attracted.

Interesting thoughts about the lifetime license!

The average lifespan in PA is 78.16 years, meaning that people get an average of 13 years use from their senior licenses.

Adding the last 13 years to the 2013 totals would add 164,000 license holders.

That takes the total active license users to 1,023,862. That's putting the total license holders near the 1980's; a very respectable amount!

Yeah, but I'd venture to just about guarantee, that if seniors had to buy a license every year, they would average doing so less often than they did at a younger age.

I hate to be morbid but a high number of people at 70+ have health issues and/or are just not overall as active as they once were. I hope I'm fishing at 75 but, even if I'm still kicking, the chances of me doing so are far less likely than me doing so at 45. Offering a senior license is a gamble. The PFBC loses on someone who stays healthy and keeps on fishing for many years. But they win on those who get one and then quickly become less able or likely to fish. How it all plays out I dunno.

My overall take is that license sales increased through the 70's and 80's, peaked in 1990 and have been declining since. There are ups and downs on both sides of the peak but the trend is clear. Those short term ups and downs are most likely the result of outside factors, such as weather on the popular fishing weekends, economy, etc. The overall trend is the fundamental trend and is probably more cultural than anything.

Revenues on the other hand have continued to climb, based on overall increases in price of a license I'd assume, or maybe various stamp tack ons. Fits with inflation. I'd also point out that in obvious license cost increase years you see a marked and immediate decrease in overall license sales, which quickly levels off, indicating it's sustainable (people who leave don't come back, but more don't leave until the next big increase). But still, the PFBC gets more $$$ by saying c-ya to a few and raising prices on the rest of us.

Also, this year got a bit of a boost in the revenue department due to the 3 and 5 year license sales. However, it will likely be a penalty in years to come. If someone buys a multi-year license, it's virtually assured that they were going to buy a license every year anyway. They won't be buying next year!

They reduce the fee by $1 for a regular license and then starting 1-1-15 all new senior lifetime license holders must buy a new trout stamp every year if they want to fish for trout.

Some of the lowering numbers over the years correlate with economic down turns of the economy. Baby boomers and end of wars also contribute to numbers. Most of the $ spent by PAfbc is pension fees from what I gather. It is tame to switch retirement programs for employees have them contribute a fair share. 100% pension is too liberal. Perhaps it time to cut them.
They want to cut trout stockings = with employee wage cuts also...

Back