Orvis and Access

ian_brown

ian_brown

I recently read a post on another forum which casually mentioned that Orvis posted a section of the Battenkill near Manchester.

Previously, I thought that most of the "Orvis Hating" stemmed from them being the biggest in the business, and they're involvement in selling private properties on trout streams. Personally, I felt this was offset by the money they contribute to conservation.

However, if it is true that Orvis has actually posted sections of the Battenkill, they will never see another dime of my money.

Caveat - I know they have been involved in habitat restoration on the Battenkill. I suppose I wouldn't hold it against them if they posted the land as a temporary measure while improving the stream.

That sounds like whisper down the lane rumor mongering to me.

Orvis is involved in conservation on the Battenkill.

Orvis has a real estate division, where they sell high end properties on rivers and streams etc.

I think the two things go merged.

I'd go back and double check that post.

The only closing I've heard of is a conservation effort there. If people are bitching about a company that donates a percentage of its profits to conservation, raises awareness of conservation issues through special product releases, and closing a section of river to fishing to stop stocking so a wild trout population can rebound, they need to reevaluate their priorities. Lets get facts before we spread rumors about responsible corporate citzens.

I looked for the post, but could not find it. I believe it said something like "I fished the section of the Battenkill that Orvis owns near Manchester before it was posted."

The writer wasn't complaining about the company; he just stated that they had posted a section of the river. I asked for clarification there and here.

I know Orvis has done a lot of good work improving the Battenkill, and that last year they threatened to yank funding if VT stocked big sterile rainbows. If posting land is another way that they are trying to improve a wild fishery, I have no problem at all.

I, and I suspect many others here, would choose not to support a company that cut public access to any river, and particularly one with the Battenkill's history.

Ohio - If you reread my post, you'll see I was looking for confirmation/clarification of something I read on another forum. I meant to imply this, and apologize if I didn't make it clear. I hope your explanation is right; I've been planning to pick up one of their 3 wts, and it would be inconvenient if I felt ethically compelled to shop elsewhere. particularly as my wife gave me a $100 Orvis gift certificate for my birthday today.

I can let you guys know if they have posted a section of the Battenkill as my father lives near the river and can see it from his deck. He keeps me posted on the river and what is happening with the restoration projects. When I was talking with him today he said that they were threatening to post a section owned by the Orvis company if the state went ahead and actually stocked rainbows in the Battenkill. I understand the Perkins brothers frustration with the situation as the river and the wild browns are in a delicate restoration.

He has a poor opinion of the Perkins family because the brothers can apparently be pricks to work for, but that is a discussion for another time. I will also be fishing the Battenkill for a weekend in a few weeks and will let you know how it is.

my understanding of the Orvis and Beaverkill situation also involved their pulling out over 10,000 in partnership funds toward the project if the state stocked fish in the restoration area.

I see this as a noble stance and perhaps the money wit held was not enough to thwart the states plans so they played the Posting card. Which would inevidable make the stocking useless because there would be no angler use to offset the cost of the fish and effort to put them there.

This from a company who is in the business of making money through the use of equipment on a venue they are willing to close for principled reasons, to make a point. I like that.

Let the science convince the perkins bros that the river needs stocked...if it does, future surveys will establish that.

I believe after a couple years, if the conditions warrant stocking, they will agree to it but they want to give the wildies the best chance to propogate without competiton. Something our own state could or should consider in some watersheds.

This is an example of a landowner wielding his power to overrule being "handled", yet allowing free public access along the way. But if you want to fish there, you have to accept the "quality of the fishery" until it mends itself.

Maurice

The stocking of those rainbows was going to be a disaster. It was meant to merely appease those wanting to bait/spinfish for fish that they can keep. It was going to put pressure on an already stressed population of brown trout and take up much needed food resources from both the wild browns and brookies. It was a lose-lose for everyone but those few fisherman who wanted to keep their catch.

Let the Orvis company and the state wildlife management fix the already existing problems in the two rivers before they start adding more problems. The river currently suffers from flood damage (from floods in the 90s) and a lack of river cover and bank cover to stabilize banks and provide fish areas to hide/breed. The state has also taken action against the landowners who have been cutting trees along the river in an attempt to make a nice picturesque backyard, meanwhile ruining the river banks and whining when their land floods.

I'm not sure how selling high end properties on trout streams equates to conservation and I'm guessing it can't do much for the habitat. Oh well, there's always a possibility of a 100-year flood.

If posting becomes an issue I suppose Vermont could play a card other states do, namely designating such water as "nursery areas" and making fishing there off limits to everyone including the landowners.

Anyway, off to Wyoming in early August to try my luck there. I suspect I'll see some high end properties but hopefully some public land too. Anyone been?

So we should blame the real estate agents for land owners posting land?

Taking down posting on land helps a fishery recover?

I'm confused.........

Wyoming? I was at Yellowstone NP and Grand Teton NP this past September. Outstanding fishing......

Info about Orvis and the Battenkill:

http://www.midcurrent.com/news/2006/09/orvis_conservation_partners_pr.html

Back