One Dead CARP

So what is the total of excuses so far?

Maybe it died laughing?

This kinda stuff Invasive Species is a huge issue, not only for the great lakes but all sportsman. And considering the Great Lakes account for a huge % of fresh water in the world it could potentially effect everybody.
I'm glad to hear that the fish and game dep. are taking some action.
I feel that there should be tighter regulations on inbound shipping traffic becausealot of these little buggers; carp, mussles etc. hitch-hike via ships ballast tanks.
The University of Michigan (my school :-D) has designed a Ballast-Free Ship and I really hope all new ships that are built use this system.
Info can be for here:
http://www.miseagrant.umich.edu/research/projects/archives/marine-engineering-project-archive.html

There is a lake in the northern part of lower MI called Higgins lake which is the most prestine lake I've ever laid eyes on it harbor's some hugh lake trout.
Up until a few years ago I had never seen a zebra mussle there but since there has been a noticable increase in the # of mussle clumps. I can only hope that they don't take over the lake. But the DNR there thinks this problem was also caused by boat bilge and ballast tanks.

All sportman owe it to their sports future to protect against the spread of invasive species and to spread the word.
Rinsing waders, disinfecting gear, emptying bilge and ballast holdings before entering different water. More over anyone who has old school felt wader boots really needs to switch to the crushed walnut rubber soled wader boots. I believe you give up nothing in the traction department when in the water and the oils from the walnut kills invasive species. Out west it has become manditory when wearing waders to use these new boots. Everyone should support and embrace these new boots now and if in the future PA decides to mandate walnut infused wader boots please support this.

if the Asian carp takes hold and does starve out fish that could mean even starving out the trout

jimmy22sept wrote:
if the Asian carp takes hold and does starve out fish that could mean even starving out the trout

Oh no not the trout .
Guys there are other fish that are at risk besides trout ;-)

Frederick..........I love your posts man...you can tell by what you express that you are a "real" fisherman. I would rather catch a carp than nothing myself , i'll bet you would too. Speaking of invasive species , where are all of these rainbow trout that are showing up in waters that have always been pretty much brook trout waters coming from? Bobs Creek , Breastworks Run , upper Raystown Branch ........don't get me wrong these fish look good they have white edges on the fins , real healthy lookin. But should they be introduced to these waters? And who is doing it?

Osprey,

I don't know specifics, but I find it very likely the PFBC is introducing them in the form of stocking. Even if they don't stock those streams, fish travel tens of miles from where they were stocked.

The reproduction might be a sign that water quality is improving.

osprey wrote:
Frederick..........I love your posts man...you can tell by what you express that you are a "real" fisherman. I would rather catch a carp than nothing myself , i'll bet you would too. Speaking of invasive species , where are all of these rainbow trout that are showing up in waters that have always been pretty much brook trout waters coming from? Bobs Creek , Breastworks Run , upper Raystown Branch ........don't get me wrong these fish look good they have white edges on the fins , real healthy lookin. But should they be introduced to these waters? And who is doing it?

I'm sorry, did you say there is a stream called Breastworks Run?

Yes Breastworks Run is in Somerset and Bedford counties and......a breastwork is a pile of logs stacked up so you could hide behind it and shoot indins.

Please don't spoil the image with a definition!

So you are saying if my wife asks for breastwork as a Christmas gift, I should take her fishing in Somerset County? Sounds a lot cheaper.

osprey wrote:

Thxs Osprey I like to fish for all species of fish and think that they all deserve the same respect . Mater of fact I'm going to try to finds ways to target Flatheads in the Skuke next year with my fly rod :-D

postpics.gif

And I don't mean no stinkin' carp.

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLFe8xfgx24 :-o

Amazing video out there of these things flying through the air. Unreal... Just hit up YouTube and plug in "asian carp" or "flying carp".

I bet they provide some serious topwater action with flying leaps! :-D

This video is pretty funny. They splice in the same clip a lot of places, but it's still worth a view...

It's interesting that from a purely biological/ecocentric point of view, the rainbow trout in the Eastern US and the brook trout in the West are both invasive, plus brown trout over the whole continent. No one would get rid of them however, because they are great sport fish. No one has found any recreational or economic use for zebra mussels or flying asian carp except for catching the carp with nets from motorboats as the fish fly through the air. It's interesting to contemplate where to draw the line with human impacts and introductions. On a large scale like North America, its hard to say that any organism is so disastrous that it demands eradication, but when you look at smaller habitats like Guam in the Pacific, nearly all of the bird species have been eradicated by one species of brown tree snake that was accidentally introduced. Now all that is left are spiderwebs because the birds aren't there to keep the population down. Taking that example back to the larger scale, when will the resilience of the ecosystem in North America fail and lead to collapse? Ever notice the forest being taken over by Japanese barberry, Norway Maples, Burning Bush, and Purple Loosestrife, all derived from most suburban yards including your's and mine? I'm just saying . . .

Back