Oil Creek October 23-24

N

nymphomaniac

Anyone out there know what flies I should be fishing in Oil Creek this week? Heading up there Thurs-Fri this week, and haven't fished it in a long time. Can't Wait!!!!!!

And are there any fish outside the Delayed Harvest Areas?

Thank You

I have no firsthand knowledge of Oil Creek, but I think you will find a bunch of fresh fall-stocked rainbows there this time of year. Try streamers or egg patterns.

Never been there but I found this.

http://flyfishingconnection.com/oilcreek.html

I have hit good BWO hatches there this time of year.
They stocked it Oct 1, according the fish comission website, and those are likely the only fish there now. I doubt if any others held over this past dry summer
I might be headed up there friday - depends on the weather

We were there this past Saturday for a few hours. First time I've fished Oil Creek for trout in over 15 years. The water is very skinny (low). I'd think it would probably be more important to find a place where there is sufficient depth for fish to feel comfortable than to worry too much about fly selection.

Regarding fish abundance outside the projects.. They put so many trout in the creek that it tends to hold decent numbers of fish all through the fall, unless the Summer was really brutal, which I don't think it was.

Many times we've floated Oil Creek for smallmouth on slightly high water in August and September and have taken as many trout as we caught bass.

But I'd find some deeper water though. It's pretty low, currently flowing at a little better than half of its historic rate for the date..

http://www.oilcreekoutfitters.com/

don't know if they're open...they have weird operating procedures, but usually have a fishing report on the site somewhere.

I don't think I've ever fished it in the fall. But I can say that, every year, it fishes well into July, and there are significant numbers of holdovers the following spring. While the fall stocked areas will have lots more fish, there's at least a few fish anywhere you wish to explore.

Back