OH BOY! Tricos already?

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

Straight from the link below:

There is a fishable trico spinner fall over trico run.!
The key to the trico hatch is water temperature of 55 degrees

Yet here is the report on Sulphurs

The benchmark for Sulphurs at the Heritage Section is usually just before Memorial Day.
The full blown hatch is usually the first week of June.

[color=000066]There full blown for almost almost a week now that I can verify.
[/color]

http://www.littlelehighflyshop.com/StreamReport.aspx

Either way an early season Trico Jam would be cool.

This season is really weird....

I refuse to fish the tricos 'til august. There's just too much good fishing right now with normal sized flies that doesn't require an alarm clock.

Jay,

Haha, spinner fall is at like 8: 30, how late do you sleep in. Im in the stream by 5:30, nymphing is best then. Tricos are icing on the cake

I don't like waking up until 8 or 9 on weekends, and it's an hour drive to the nearest good trico stream. I'm usually up by 6 to fish them. Miserable.

I agree though... the nymphing before hand is the best part. I'll see sunrise on a stream maybe once a year.

I don't roll out of bed until the children's screams waken me up. Til then, every second counts.

Im leaving the stream when you guys are getting up. I enjoy having the stream to myself, being there at sunrise usually ensures that.

Mother nature has made things very strange this year. I fished the D last weekend and there was a fishable ISO hatch. That's not usually seen until late June. I've also seen Hendricksons with a few Sulphurs mixed in earlier this season. That's just plain f'd up. Tricos in May? Why not? Maybe we'll see the big October caddis in late June.

surveyor06 wrote:
Im leaving the stream when you guys are getting up. I enjoy having the stream to myself, being there at sunrise usually ensures that.

Agreed! If they last until the first good frost that's like 4 solid months of tricos. I'll be in heaven!

LL, bring a box of them w/ you Sat. I'll have to fish MB haystacks until I can find mine. :)

gfen wrote:
I don't roll out of bed until the children's screams waken me up. Til then, every second counts.

I'm with you. That's why I like sulphurs. Evening fishing fits my style much more. As do size 14 and 16's :)

Plenty of fish to be caught AFTER I wake up on weekends. Every now and then I'll wake up early for the beauty of it...but not often.

Good thing about tricos is they get later and later day by day, week by week....

tricos, uck. one reason i moved from there...lol..

While putting the grill cover on tonight... I caught an "october caddis". I live right along the Susquehanna and I'm not sure if there's some different version on warm water. Just a tad strange.

Wasn't the existance of an Little Lehigh early trico hatch a topic of muc debate around this time last year too? I'd have to see it to believe it. Especially since we don't see them ever mentioned in reports for the other limestone streams at this time of year, and I've never personally seen them this early on any stream, limestone or otherwise.

Kev

While putting the grill cover on tonight... I caught an "october caddis". I live right along the Susquehanna and I'm not sure if there's some different version on warm water. Just a tad strange.

That's nothing. I saw a caddis in January with 6" of snow on the ground. It was clinging to my waders as I left the stream.

The way this year has been, I'm expecting to see fire, frogs and snakes falling from the skies any day now. Screw hatch charts. I'll just toss whatever is tied on the rod I'm using.... trico, crazy charlie, stonefly.

RE: cray trico timing....

I grew up in Hershey. There's a spring creek flowing through town and you'd see what appears to be tricos hatching in mid winter. It's a very small black mayfly, not an olive. Any idea what that might be? I think they used to hatch and return to the water the same afternoon.

See that's just the thing, we call a lot of different bugs Olives, BWOS' etc. But there are so many different varieties it is hard to compare their hatches on two different creeks since we are really comparing so many different species.

For what it's worth, BWO's are pretty much the classic winter time sping creek hatch, so I would geuss some type of BWO or something similar.

Like you said, match what you see and forget the hatch chart.

Kev

There are lots of Miniture (28 and smaller) mayflies, that havn't been named as of yet. each stream or section of can have a whole different subspecies only found on that particular section. I have thousnds clinging to the house in summer from marsh and pine creek.

There are no tricos on the LL this early, I've fished there 3 days over the weekend and there are no tricos. Someones feeding a line of crap.
what we saw were P. mollis not tricos.
And there were so many sulphurs there in the evenings that you'd choke on them. The sulphurs started over two weeks ago and have been hatching pretty heavily at dusk every day. The spinners have also been fairly heavy.

Same thing, same time, same report last year:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7971&forum=2&post_id=84184#forumpost84184

I really don't know.

Back