Nothing was right?

noclue

noclue

This weekend I fished for wild brookies on state game lands in wyoming county. I did nothing right. I used a 9ft 5wt rod with a 9ft 3x leader with a 14 liht cahill dry fly. I fished down stream instead of up and yet I managed to catch about a dozen or so litttle wild brookies. So why is that when I do things the way they should be done I cant catch a decent stocked fish in a regular stream like the Mahoopany ck or Bowmans ck ffo stretch. Maybe it was just one of those days. I should just be thankful I caught something and maybe the big ones will come in time?

Brookies are easy to catch. Don't sweat it. Congrats on a successful day.

Edit: jack makes a good point. Evaluate every situation individually. If the "standard" approach doesn't work, try something else.

Keep in mind that reading about hatches and wild trout can overly complicate stockie fishing. I use a red chenille worm on stocked streams. Works well.

Just from a logical standpoint, I think your experience should cause you to question the wisdom of "what is the right way to do things" in fly fishing.

Brookies are easy to catch. Quote

Were you going West??
if so I have a bet for you.
Just kidding around but " I betcha" I can get you to change that to-
in their normal environment brookies are easy to catch.
Ponds and limestone streams all around Bozeman,Mt. loaded with them-tougher than browns-no joshing.

For me native fishing is different from any other type. When native fishing its all about not spooking the fish. They're not usually too picky on what they hit. On the larger streams with stocked fish its all about tricking them into hitting something not real. Toughest fishing is on clear spring creeks and in low water levels when you need to use both techniques.

pete41 wrote:
Brookies are easy to catch. Quote

Were you going West??
if so I have a bet for you.
Just kidding around but " I betcha" I can get you to change that to-
in their normal environment brookies are easy to catch.
Ponds and limestone streams all around Bozeman,Mt. loaded with them-tougher than browns-no joshing.

I'm sure pete, but, like everything I've ever said, I can only speak from experience.

I don't think I'll be chasing brookies out west, nor will I be fishing the ditch any time soon, so my statement "works for me".

JackM wrote:
Just from a logical standpoint, I think your experience should cause you to question the wisdom of "what is the right way to do things" in fly fishing.

Good point Jack. I read a lot about fly fishing, from FF sites such as this, from the "pros" on-line or in the books and magazine articles they write, but first-hand experience on the stream trumps anything I read or was told about by the "experts".

Secondly, I am familiar with the two streams you mentioned getting blanked on, Bowmans and Mehoopany Creeks. Both streams are stocked and are notorious for the stockies moving out of the stream section to find greener pastures. One theory is that it could be the higher acidity of the water when compared to the stream feeding the hatchery…whatever. Anyway, it seems you have been successful fishing for the smaller wild fish in the area. Sometime in your FF career you may grow to appreciate these wild fish, but for now you are looking for bigger stocked fish. The long and short of it, since you are catching fish in wild streams, the problem may be the stream or stream section you are fishing rather than your fishing abilities.

I shouldn’t post this, but Jack keeps telling me to spread out the pressure. Try fishing Bowmans near the mouth of the Susky. The section just above Keelersburg Road downstream to the River. I’ve seen many stocked fish move down the creek in May and early June from their stocking areas above and hold in there looking for better water. I guess the fish hit the Susky on their quest to find better water and realize that’s as good as it gets! Even the main River in that area holds some trout this time of year. You may want to try the SR water on Tunkhannock Creek too. The fish seem to hold better in there. Better yet, SM Bass are just about ready to start jumping on topwater flies. Give that a try.

Good luck with your FF and your quest for bigger fish. Have fun.

I did the same thing on sunday except with an elk hair caddis. The rules are there are no rules.

When wild brookie fishing, there's no such thing as "right." Every stream and situation presents you with a different set of challenges. I typically work upstream, but that doesn't mean I always approach a hole from upstream. High water is different than low water, heavy current different than low current, brush is higher at some times of year than others, etc. If it worked, congrats, you figured out a way to successfully fish that stream on that day.

Back