Not quite skunked!

ian_brown

ian_brown

I began fly fishing last November, and until yesterday I caught a grand total of one chub. Finally I swallowed my pride, tied on a panfish popper, and caught two bluegills on the Pennypack.

This Sunday evening I have a lesson scheduled with one of the guys at Sporting Gentleman. Hopefully I'll find out what I'm doing wrong.

What is your target species your going for and where are you trying to catch it?

By the way, are chubs those little, scaly, silver bodied, red tipped finned guys that are in a few of the streams around here?

If so, I hate those things!! They have the be the most stupid fish alive, they eat anything. My first time on French creek one of those guys ate my size 10 Dave's hopper, the fish couldn't have been more than 4 inches.

I've been going for trout on Ridley, Wissahickon, Valley, Little Lehigh, and the Pine Creek in Berks County.

thedude1534 wrote:
By the way, are chubs those little, scaly, silver bodied, red tipped finned guys that are in a few of the streams around here?
It sounds to me like you are talking about the mighty chub. Here's the scoop:

[color=0000CC]Creek Chub [/color] Semotilus atromaculatus
Click here for a picture: Creek Chub

Species overview: The creek chub is one of the most common stream fishes in central and eastern North America, and it is found in all of Pennsylvania’s watersheds. Creek chubs are usually associated with transitional streams–streams that contain water temperatures typically warmer than coldwater streams and cooler than warmwater streams.

Their adaptability has allowed them to establish and maintain a statewide distribution. Creek chubs are a popular bait fish.

Identification: The creek chub may attain a length of 10 inches, but the length averages closer to four inches. The body is nearly cylindrical, tapering at the head and tail. The back is light to dark-olive, shading to silvery on the sides with purple-violet reflections above a silvery-white belly. The dorsal fin has a dark spot at the lower front corner. The head and body of breeding males are tinged with rose-purple, blue, yellow or orange. A single row of six to 12 large tubercles extends backward from the front of the snout to a point above and just behind each eye. Smaller tubercles are found on the gill cover and on the first six to eight rays of the pectoral fins.

Young creek chubs are more silvery than adults. The young also have the spot on the dorsal fin. A narrow black band extends along the middle of each side from the eye to the caudal fin base. It ends in a dark spot.

Habitat: Creek chubs prefer the deeper pools of small and medium-sized streams, but they can also be found in lakes and ponds.

Life history: Creek chubs spawn in spring when water temperatures reach about 55 degrees. Males build nests by pushing pebbles with their snouts and carrying them in their mouths. The nest is a row of gravel in line with the current flow. Males dig a depression at the downstream end of the pebble line. Some creek chub nests can be as long as about six feet. Males vigorously defend their nests. Young creek chubs feed on aquatic invertebrates. Adult creek chubs eat small fish, larger invertebrates and crayfish.

ian_brown wrote:
I've been going for trout on Ridley, Wissahickon, Valley, Little Lehigh, and the Pine Creek in Berks County.

You didnt catch a single trout on the Little Lehigh? Did you fish the heritage section? What flies were you using? By the way i've caught chubs that were pushing 15 inches, those things do love to eat anything.

Img_5250-1.jpg

Last august from Clarks on a hopper. 16".
Most people start catching less desirable fish until their skills have developed enough to catch the more formidable fish.
Yeah, its a chub, but it was my only fun that day and I was glad at the time to catch it. Hang in there, theres no such thing as a successful flyfisherman that doesnt have alot of patience.

Never thought I'd use that photo.

Never thought I'd use that photo.

LOL. You'll never live it down either. Wait 'til the Big KG hears about this. :lol:

Hang in there. As a young lad of about 10 years old, it took me 2 years to catch my first trout on a fly. It happened at Camp Trexler Boy Scout Reservation on a pond and the rascal took a #12 Brown Hackle. That was an exciting day. :-D

I've invested too much money not to hang in.

Squaretail,
Not doubting you, but with the lighting, almost looks like a golden shiner.

JH

ian_brown wrote:
I've invested too much money not to hang in.
Maybe THAT'S why everybody gets hooked on flyfishing once they take it up - they don't want to waste all that money! :-D

Nah, it's just so much fun. And part of the fun is that it's not too easy, and that's what makes the successes so enjoyable. If I were you I would just strip a bead head black wooly bugger down-and-across until I got off the schnide, unless you come across some steadily rising trout. You should get a lot of help from your lesson. Be sure to post any parrticular questions you have here. Good luck.

I understand the OP's pain, coz I started last spring and it seems like I never catch a thing.

So, yesterday after leaving work early I decided I'd just give up fishing the wild trophy trout waters I usually "practice" at and went for some stocked trout at the "popular" section.

Instead of zero fish and the lingering doubt that I even had a hit, i took home four in about 45 minutes.

I guess you gotta walk before you run. I know where I'm going back to next time...

SquareTail,
That's what us river rats call a fallfish.

The Barry Bonds of creek chubs.

Ian,

Hang in there buddy…success will come shortly after you learn to cast and mend to get a good drift with a dry on top and a nymph on bottom.

A lot of guys speak highly of The Sporting Gentleman. I’m sure they will get you started right in the right direction. Good luck.

Alot of people complain about chub. I've even seen a few guys throw them out on the bank when they catch them. They hold about the same status as whiefish out west. Truth is, come July or Aug. when the water is usually too hot to catch trout without causing them undue stress, there's nothing more fun than to take a beetle and go chub fishing. They hit like a ton of bricks and the bigger ones fight as well as any trout ever hoped to. They rarely jump though. Have had 100 plus fish days doing this. I always make several of these chub outings every year. Also, it's a great way to introduce someone to fly fishing,especially dry fly fishing.

I agree, I believe it is a fallfish which is pretty much a big chub, definatly not a golden shiner at all, they are usually in lakes I believe, and look much different, especially at 16 inches.
~5footfenwick

Ditto on the Fallfish thing...a couple years ago, below the dam on Kettle, guys were catching them like crazy in the 18 to 24 inch range on opening day...it was bizzaar ...

Some of the best "chubs" I ever caught started out as trout...

...or should I say some of the best trout I ever caught were chubs that I thought were trout until I brought them in.

The great thing about decent sized chubs is that if you are catching them while another fisherman is above or below you; just far enough that he can't tell for sure...

...you can drive him nuts by acting like you're catching trout and keeping quiet about it. :-D

I drove a guy crazy on the Saucon once after I caught about 15 chubs while he was getting skunked on trout! Many moons ago I also accidentally "forgot" to tell a duo fishing 50 yards below me on the Letort that the 26" Brown trout they saw he hold up for them to see was actually a carp...

:cool:

Ian:

Don't worry, your time will come. All of us catch chubs. Some of us just lie about it...

Don't feel bad it took me a year to get my first trout on the fly.

Ian,
lots of good advice and I'll add to the encouragement. A lesson at Sporting Gentleman was a great decision on your part and will pay dividends quickly. Someone mentioned stripping a woolybugger across and down. That's good advice, especially if you're fishing the Whissahickon and Ridly. A small ( hook size 10 or 8) brown wooly works especially well in the Whissahickon.
Coughlin

Success! On Sunday I caught a 10" brown on Ridley, and lost one that felt much bigger. I also had about three misses on dries. We had a 0pretty good caddis hatch, and I can't remember the last time I had that much fun.

Marc de Jong at Sporting Gentleman is an excellent instructor; he showed me how to do lots of the things I've read about, like mending and roll casting. He also gave me advice on tying better elk-wing caddis (shorter bodies, sparser wings).

One question: is it customary to tip an intstructor, and if so, how much? I've heard that you're meant to tip guides, and Marc treated this trip more like a guided wading trip than a lesson. It didn't occur to me to tip him until after I drove away, but he did a great job, and I would hate to stiff him.

Back