Next generation.......getting it done the first time out

krayfish

krayfish

I finally got my nephew out for his first fly fishing adventure. It wasn't to an exotic location but we did the best we could with the few hours we had to work with this afternoon. We considered the Tully but the flow was way too high for safe fishing. I also considered the Little Lehigh, Big Spring or the Yellow Breeches. The little guy said wanted to try the Letort because he heard it was good. I told him the water was probably too cold so we'd wait until spring to try it. I figured we'd have enough trouble getting the little guy hooked up on a regular creek.

We set out on a small local stream that I knew was recently stocked. At 13, he's big enough to fit into my back up waders and the neighbor lent him a pair of wading boots that fit perfectly. I rigged 2 rods with indi rigs. One had a glo bug and the other had a PT and green soft hackle. I knew I was going to get a lot of practice tying knots today.

We hit the first run and came up empty but kept creeping our way up towards the next pool. He immediately spotted a palomino and wanted to catch it. I roll cast the rig up from the palomino and handed him the rod. What we failed to see was the 24" bow lurking in the bottom of the pool. The indi floated a foot and then shot toward the bank. My nephew pulled a hook set that would have made Bill Dance jealous. "SNAP". I handed him the other rod and began to re-rig. As I was finishing up with a new glo bug rig, he yelled "I got him". He'd cast the other rig on his own and hooked the palomino on the soft hackle. I told him not to get too excited because palomino trout aren't too bright. The fish proved me right because he took it again on a glo bug 15 minutes later! LOL. Hell, I've fly fished for 30 years and never caught one of those orange freaks.

He continued to improve with his roll cast and mending of the line. He was tossing it right against structure and by the far bank. From time to time, he'd hook up, have a seizure and snap everything off in a fish. He also got very handy at missing a take and depositing the rig in a tree 20' over our head. LOL. Actually, I was impressed with his casting and ability to follow direction. I'm thinking he'll be slaying them by May 2013.

He ended the day with a nice brown in the 16-17" range on a PT and took a brook on a soft hackle. It appeared that the brookie had been caught a few hundred times and much of it's mouth was missing. After all was said and done, it was an awesome fall day with my nephew and couldn't have scripted a better first day on the water for him. Watch out, this kid might be pretty good.

Attachments

• P1010989.JPG
    P1010989.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010978.JPG
    P1010978.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010985.JPG
    P1010985.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010983.JPG
    P1010983.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010988.JPG
    P1010988.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010990.JPG
    P1010990.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 3
krayfish wrote:

He also got very handy at missing a take and depositing the rig in a tree 20' over our head. LOL.

^^^^
I still do this :)

Good deal - great that he was able to have some nice hookups on his first outing. That goes a long way towards keeping interest.. Definitely looks like the more expensive outfit might be in the cards for him..

Nice Andy!

Kray
Congrats to you and your pupil. Mid level Rig will be needed I am sure!

Looks like a great outing that your nephew will remember for a long time.

Congratulations to both of you. It was a day to remember. You've given an incredible gift, just look at that smile.

Nice!

Your pride in and enjoyment of your nephew's success come through in your post.

I bet you are both still grinning!

Another fly angler is born. Good job, Kray!

Very nice. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Thanks guys. Definitely not a forced smile on his face. He's already sent me a text that he's ready to go again. I think that's only my second time fishing in Pa this year and I live less than a minute from a trout stream. LOL. Looks like he'll have me burning through a set of tires by June. I've got Big Spring on deck for next trip. I haven't done much around here in years since I started the floats on the Delaware but it looks like I'll be hitting the Grannom on Penns, sulphurs on Spring and Tricos all over the place this year. I better start tying flies ASAP.

And, bring him to the annual Jamboree in May.

I'll drop him off with you on Thursday and pick him up Sunday. Don't let him fall into the fire or anything crazy like that. LOL

Great outing and congrats to your nephew.

Geez Andy, he even looks like a miniature version of you. :lol:

Way to be, kray. Best gift you could ever give your nephew.

Nice Andy. You'll have him throwing those long lines on the D in no time! Glad to see you got some fish. I look forward to fishing with the two of you!

I'm hoping to have Brandon take him down the river in tha driftboat next year.

Thats really neat. Big Springs a great choice where he can see the fish with less casting obstacles and most likely catch one.
Not that you didnt take him to a couple of good places. ;-)

Back