New to Small Mtn Streams

T

tbear

Let me just start off by saying this site has been a great help. I have been reading a lot of information on here that has been very useful and have finally signed up.

Now for my question. (A little background first) I have owned a fly rod for about 10 years now and have only recently really started to use it, I'm still not very good. I have an 8 1/2 ft. rod with 5wt line and have fished mostly for panfish, smallmouth, and occasionally on bigger trout streams. My question is this "Is my setup alright for small mountain streams?" If not, I have about $150 and was wondering what to purchase. My wish list is extremely long, but my budget is limited. My thoughts have been
1.) purchase a shorter rod
2.) purchase all of the other essentials for small stream fishing, i.e. polarized classes, fishing backpack, all the necessary flies etc.... and wait on a new rod.

I use my 9 foot rod on many small streams. It may not be ideal, but it isn't that much of an inconvenience. To be perfectly honest, if a 9 footer would be difficult, I am not much interested in fishing the stream. Others will disagree, so consider all viewpoints. I don't have any special equipment or flies for small streams. You should get the polarized glasses for all streams.

Maybe the best move would be an inexpensive 7 foot rod (get a 5 weight so you can use your present reel and line), and the polarized glasses, then you should have some money left to make sure you have camoflage outerwear, which may be the best expenditure you can make for small stream fishing.

Part of the joy of the sport is dropping money on new gear. Guysa will tell you everything from a short bush rod like I use to a long rod like Jack uses. Guess what, they both have their uses. I would suggest that you keep the rod you have. Learn to be proficient on that. Also small mtn stream fishing is rough on a rod (always getting hung up in laural and such) It would break my heart to snap a new rod.

What you need. Bushy caddis flies, attractor patterns such as adams or coachmen. Thats about it for flies.

I would say that the short answer is "Yes," your setup is OK for small streams. It's not that exact of a "science" that there are definites. Heck, just look at some of the prior discussions on this web site on small stream rods. The preferences range from 5.5 foot rods to 9 foot rods, from 2 weights to 5 weights. I think you should use what you have, and after you get a lot of time in you will be better able to decide if you want a different rod. I ended up getting a shorter rod after a few years because I wanted something that would be easier to maneuver in tight places. But use yours for now and see if it works OK for you. Personally, I ended up getting a 7 foot Cortland 3/4 weight for about $100, with a 4 wt. double taper line. But different strokes for different folks!

Oh yeah, for flies, don't forget the good old Royal Wulff.

I never did much small stream fishing, but it has interested me from time to time. I was talking with a guy I consider a real expert on the subject and going through some of his stream photos. Anyway, in talking with him, I was surprised to hear how much he hikes along the stream picking and choosing his spots. Even small streams will open up into bigger pools. I started walking and choosing more, rather than fishing the tight brushy sections after that. I enjoyed the experience a lot more, and I started carrying a longer rod.

I have a 9 ft 5 wt rod and use it for small mtn stream fishing from time to time. I had problems with it the first few times, but once my casting got better I found it wasn't a big deal. That being said, in terms of being successful on those types of streams, I think your casting skill is more important than the length of your rod.

Check out the tips and tricks section of this forum, there are a few threads on small brookie stream tactics.

AND NO POLARIZED SUNGLASSES!!! Go buy a pair immediately. No need to spend much money at all, mine were $10 at REI and they work perfectly well. Plus, I've stepped on a few, and scratched the lenses like crazy, so I would really advise against getting an expensive pair.

I just built myself a 5' 4wt. flyrod for this exact purpose and I just fished it for the first time and I loved it! You'll definitely have to build it yourself or find a rodbuilder to do it for you bedause I am not aware of any company who produces a short fly rod like this.

I agree with all above – the only thing you NEED is polarized sunglasses. I fished with a longer rod in small streams for a long time, and still do on occasion - it’s not really a handicap. Save your money and add to it in time. When you become proficient with your casting, that’s the time to choose another rod. You’ll have the knowledge, skill and cash to buy a rod that suits your casting style and type of fishing you do perfectly.

I too have the 7' Cortland 3/4 Wt. This is a pretty good small stream rod. It is not quite as stiff as I would like, but it does a pretty good job with most dry flies up to about a #12. The last time I priced one of these rods they were $60-$70. For nymphs and streamers I would go with something more stout such as a 5 wt in 8' or 8 1/2'.

Polarized glasses are important as mentioned, but that goes for all fishing. I think the main key is presentation. This can be brokend down into: the the right cast, in the right place with the right leader. For leaders I have been making my own for a number of years using the leader formulas contained in Joe Humphey's book "Trout Tactics". The right cast is also very important. You want to be able to stay as far back from the fish as possible, but still get a good drag free drift. The other factor is correct line and fly placement to get a good drift. On mountain streams there are often lots of rocks/logs creating complicated currents. If you don't pay close attention to line placement and you don't have the proper leader you will have drag almost immediately.

The flip side is that small stream fish are often less choosy so sometimes even a so-so presentation will get bit. Often you can use dry flies the majority of the time and still have good action. You will probably be fishing in areas that receive a lot of shade so a good high vis pattern is helpful. I found that various Wulff patterns worked very well for me much of the time. A bushy Adams Wulff is a decent imitation of a Slate Drake, which is a fly that I often saw on many of my favorite streams in late Spring, Summer and Fall.

Tom

Bass Pro has a 5ft. 3 piece 3 wt. for $99. Not to sure on the quality but I use a 5'6" ht i paid $20 for and it works fine. I rarely need to cast more than 15ft on the streams I fish.

I have a 7 1/2' Eagle Claw fiberglass 5 weight that I use on a lot of small streams. I picked it up for $5 at a yard sale and love it. On the other hand, I will sometimes use an 8 foot bamboo 6 weight because I can punch a cast in to wherever I want. And I occasionally use a 9' 6 weight because I can either dap with it or stay above the bushes on a backcast while kneeling.
My experience on small mountain streams leads me to the conclusion that line weight doesn't matter much, but the first cast is everything. I'd rather have a weight that will get it in where I want it the first time, and only place the leader in the pool. And we can all argue forever about whether a short rod (to stay under the trees) or a long rod (to stay over the bushes) is a better choice!

Re: sunglasses. If you wear glasses, try Cocoons. Not the most stylish, but they work well and were fairly reasonable($40).

Your rod will be fine. You could use it for a while and then decide if you need something different. I have an 8.5/4wt and a 6.5/3wt. I use both of them for small streams. The suggestions that everyone gave for flies are good ones--especially the royal wulff and caddis--doesn't take much gear. But I agree--get the glasses.

How do most of your dress when you fish these streams? Should I really get cammo and if so just the generic kind or just wear subdued colors?

The more blending in you can do to wherever you are the better. Just makes sense. Also move slowly and spend more time observing and staring than you think you need to. It's amazing what you will see. If you see fish scooting away, change your approach. It's as simple as that.

I don't wear camo but wear subdued colors of greens and browns. I fish upstream and approach a likely spot slowly. Keep as low as you can, and keep the sun to your back when possible, as long as you are not casting a shadow on the water. As far as rods go, I use a 6'9" 3 wt and my buddies use 7' 3 wts. The St. Croix 7' 3 wt. Avid is a real nice rod for $200, my buddy loves his.

>>I don't wear camo but wear subdued colors of greens and browns.>>

There you go... Camo is not necessary, but so-called "earth tones" are a big help. This is why the world's greatest small stream fishing shirt is one of those Dickies long sleeve work shirts in dark green, dark brown or khaki. Like me, they're cheap and the older they get the more comfortable they become. If you get a new one, wash it a few times to take some of the stiffness out of it.

Two big pockets, the right color and long sleeves, which we all should wear when we fish anyway to cut down on sun and biting bugs.

Can't beat em, IMO..

http://www.dickies.com/wc2/util/cat_images_lg.asp?img=574AF.jpg

I don't think you can get suits in camo. :-D

But seriously, I agree with August, Sal, and RLeeP. I don't wear camo, but I'm sure to wear subdued colors, mainly brown and green tones. Camo might be better, but the most important thing is to approach with stealth and not have flashy colors.

What about fly line color....everyone always talks about dressing drab and then they have a lime green fly line. Olives and buckskin colors are steathy but hard to see. A nice mustard or peach (cortland) or blue dun (sage or orvis) are still fairly stealthy but still visible.

I do often wear a camo hat. Otherewise, browns and greens for my colors. Check out my avatar.

Most importantly, move slowly, hide behind bushes and boulders, fish upstream (unlike my avatar), and only wade when absolutely necessary.

I had an olive line last year and a peach this year. I noticed no difference on mountain streams because the fish never see the line. I love to fish pocket water and the only thing the fish see is the last couple feet of leader.

Back