New to Flyfishing

H

Homebrew13

Hello, I have wanted to learn to fly fish for years. I hike a great deal in central Pa. I always bring a spinning rod for brookies in some of the tiny creeks that I camp near, but I have felt it was cheating somehow. I just feel like fly fishing seems so much more natural. But I have just never had the time and never knew anyone once we moved to Philly (when I was 10) who knew how.

I purchased an Orvis rod, a number of books and some flies last year, but I haven't been very successful at teaching myself.

For Christmas my girlfriend took pity on me and got me the best gift. She will schedule a 1/2 day private lesson with on-stream instruction at either TCO or at the Sporting Gentleman.

I have read through this thread http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=270&forum=4

And considering I am a newbie does it matter where I go? Any recommendations?

I currently live directly in downtown Philly. I am leaning towards Sporting Gentleman due to its proximity to Ridley Creek which I hear is very good to fish.

Welcome Homebrew13!
Seek out Mary Kuss at the Sporting Gentleman. She's got quite a few friends here on this board. You won't regret it......Ed

Yeah, Mary is a great teacher and person . I recomend the 4 hour private lesson. its about 125 bucks . A 20% coupon for the Sporting Gentleman is included with the lesson. So you get a lesson from a great teacher and save some bucks at the same time. Who can complain about that........Good Luck Homebrew13 and tell them Fred and ED sent you . :lol:

I live right in Philly as well. (Drexel university). If you ever need directions to some area streams, or perhaps any advice (i've been fishing long enough to give it.... i think) feel free to PM me- I'll give you my email.

Homebrew,
Welcome to the ranks of our wonderful sport - I think you'll find this site to be very helpful with many aspects of fly fishing. First off, don't feel as if you were cheating by spin fishing. Regardless of tackle type, in the end, it's just fishing. If you like hiking for mountain brookies you might want to stick to the spin rod from time to time, esp when the creeks are very brushy. On the bright side, brookies aren't very selective and whatever flies you have will probably work. Check some of the other threads on this site for info about flies and methods for mountain brookies. The lessons you've signed up for will help. Try some casting in the backyard. If fly fishing really hooks you, you might want to opt for a "pack" rod (if your new Orvis is a 2 pc) for hiking. Good luck - let us know how you're doing.

Do you mean to tell me that some people are willing to pay us to teach them how to fly fish??? Personally, I'd settle for a couple beers and a sandwitch. :-D

Sorry, I can't give you any advice on this one. I'm a whole state away and never had a lesson. For all I know, I might be doing it all wrong ... but the fish don't seem to mind.

I might have had a lesson once many years ago. I wish I'd had one. Mary's an excellent instructor even though she'll use me as an example of what not to do when casting if I'm around the shop when she's doing a casting demonstration. Tough to break 15 years of bad habits.

Mary Kuss, Mary Kuss, Mary Kuss. See a pattern here? You can't go wrong.

Good Luck!
Rolf

Back